Old November 24th 15, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail Rolling Stock

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:00:09 +0100
On 2015-11-24, Basil Jet wrote:
I didn't make myself clear. I meant that I see no reason why the trains
terminating at Liverpool Street have to be as long as the trains going
through to Paddington. Certainly not if they have to lose a platform to
do it. How long are these trains and platforms now? Why would the
introduction of Crossrail bring about an increase in the number of
people using Liverpool Street, because I would expect a decrease.

Because over time the cost of not having a uniform fleet (spare sets,
scheduling problems for the normal timetable, flexibility when something
goes wrong ...) is probably greater than the cost of fiddling with

Thats something LU finally figured out when it ordered the S stock.

the end of one platform (2 faces). That's all its about. There _will_
be fewer passengers (and fewer trains) at Liverpool Street ("surface"),
so there's no reason not to lose one platform that is just long enough
for an 8-car 315.

So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground has
started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

The Overground doesn't use that side (the old Electric Lines) of Liverpool
St, platforms 11-18. It uses some of the lowest numbered platforms (1-4?)
though it shares with AGA on them.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 25th 15, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-11-24, wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet)

On 2015-11-24,
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:09:11 +0100
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
So one platformn is being removed from LS just after the Overground
has started running into it. I'm sure this will end well. *cough*

No, the existing Shenfield trains use 16,17,18. When Crossrail opens
they will go through the centre (i.e. the new Liverpool Street
Crossrail platforms) except for some in the peak that will go into the
existing Liverpool Street using platforms 16 and 17 - 18 will have
been lost to make 16 and 17 long enough.

Yes, so a platform has been lost. And this is when TfL will at some
point want to increase the frequency of the Overground running to LS.

A platform which Overground trains could not get to without destroying
the capacity of the station throat.

I think he was suggesting that the tracks into the platforms all be
budged over one, rather than that trains from the westernmost track
use the easternmost platform. I have no idea how easy it would be to
do that.

Aren't 9 and 10 the only ones that can take the Norwich trains?

No. All are long enough except 16,17,18. In terms of track layout
(getting to and from the fast lines), all of 5-14 seem to be possible,
and I have seen all of 8-12 myself over the years.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
Old November 25th 15, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-11-24,

wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

I thought 9 and 10 were longer than the rest. Or did that go in the
rebuilding? I usually do see Norwich loco and DVT trains there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 25th 15, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-11-25, wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,

wrote:
In article ,

On 2015-11-24,
Eric wrote:
On 2015-11-24,
d wrote:
[...]

Yes.

I usually do see Norwich loco and DVT trains there.

Yes, they are the usual platforms. 8 used to be used a lot at one time,
but I don't know about now.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry