Old December 13th 15, 01:24 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Christmas shopping?

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 09:03:14 +0000, Martin Coffee
wrote:

On 12/12/15 23:17, Clive Page wrote:
On 12/12/2015 09:45, Roland Perry wrote:
A temporary shortage of drivers means Great Northern services will be
disrupted on Sunday 13 December.

There has been a "temporary" shortage of drivers on the Thameslink
services since they took over the franchise over a year ago. Recently
the number of cancellations due to "staff shortage" seems to have been
rising. A good many services are also cancelled with reasons like "a
train fault which has now been fixed" and "safety inspection" and
"congestion". A cynical person might think that these excuses had been
made up. It's interesting that the shortage has now spread to the Great
Northern routes - could it be that drivers are leaving at a faster rate
than they can be recruited?

If a ToC has a long term shortage of drivers and is training new ones it
could be construed that is playing them below the market rate. Whilst
BR did allow drivers to transfer between depots they were not allowed to
leave a depot short so this is yet another disadvantage of privatisation.

There are many issues with the current privatized system. It was ill
thought thru to begin with. But, compared with the grim years of the
nationalized railway, it is whole new wonderful world. We have clean
hygienic trains, welcoming, well-staffed stations, and for the most
part well focused customer service. The Southern, Thameslink, GN
conglomerate clearly is not off to a good start.

Old December 14th 15, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:24:31 +0000, e27002 aurora
wrote:

The Southern, Thameslink, GN
conglomerate clearly is not off to a good start.

Well that's an understatement if ever I read one. Govia breached
their franchise within months of taking over. Southern's inner
commuter services have been a disaster partly exacerbated by the
problems at London Bridge.

Thameslink still doesn't work reliably even with a reduced service
level to reflect the impact of project works. And now we have a
complete failure to plan for the new Great Northern timetable and a
disastrous Sunday service.

Goodness knows what's in stock tomorrow with the new timetable
structure on Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink. You can
guarantee the media will be watching what's going on.

The only reason why most of this is not being publicised is because
this is a management contract with the DfT having a much enhanced role
than is usual because they're taking the revenue risk. Govia have no
great reason to do very much because they don't have their hands on
the fares revenue. Clearly they don't want to go bankrupt off the
back of appalling contract performance *but* would DfT ever kick them
off the contract given how long it would take to find a replacement?
You have to ask who would be interested in taking on what looks like a
mini disaster zone with an awful lot more risk and difficulties to
come as new trains and new services have to be introduced.

DOR would need to operate on an unprecedented scale, certainly.

No wonder the DfT have apparently concluded that "some franchises are
too large" (source - Mike Brown of TfL speaking to the London
Assembly last week).

It doesn't look good for the Thameslink programme implementation does it?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 14th 15, 08:12 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:43:48 on
Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
Goodness knows what's in stock tomorrow with the new timetable
structure on Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink. You can
guarantee the media will be watching what's going on.

"A signalling problem at Norwood Junction is causing delays of up to 40
minutes between Norwood Junction and East Croydon / West Croydon. This
is expected to continue until 10:30."
Old December 14th 15, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 14/12/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

"A signalling problem at Norwood Junction is causing delays of up to 40
minutes between Norwood Junction and East Croydon / West Croydon. This
is expected to continue until 10:30."

To do them justice - I don't think this is anything to do with the new
timetable is it? This or something very like it has been occurring
about 2 or 3 times a week for the last few months. Actually about the
most popular problem has been a bridge bash at Tulse Hill. I don't know
what bridge that is, but it must get bashed on a pretty regular basis.
I'm surprised it's still standing.

--
Clive Page
Old December 14th 15, 03:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015\12\14 16:00, Clive Page wrote:
On 14/12/2015 09:12, Roland Perry wrote:

"A signalling problem at Norwood Junction is causing delays of up to 40
minutes between Norwood Junction and East Croydon / West Croydon. This
is expected to continue until 10:30."

To do them justice - I don't think this is anything to do with the new
timetable is it? This or something very like it has been occurring
about 2 or 3 times a week for the last few months. Actually about the
most popular problem has been a bridge bash at Tulse Hill. I don't know
what bridge that is, but it must get bashed on a pretty regular basis.
I'm surprised it's still standing.

Presumably this one. 13'9" clearance on the South Circular Road.
You'd have to wonder how blind someone would have to be to hit that.

Old December 14th 15, 06:04 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:00:33 on Mon, 14
Dec 2015, Clive Page remarked:
"A signalling problem at Norwood Junction is causing delays of up to 40
minutes between Norwood Junction and East Croydon / West Croydon. This
is expected to continue until 10:30."

To do them justice - I don't think this is anything to do with the new
timetable is it?

The point is that hignorant journos might blame the new timetable
anyway.
Old December 14th 15, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Am 14.12.2015 um 17:06 schrieb Basil Jet:

Presumably this one. 13'9" clearance on the South Circular Road.
You'd have to wonder how blind someone would have to be to hit that.

Oops...
https://goo.gl/maps/AE7Z3fJAGoH2
Old December 14th 15, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2015\12\14 19:38, Redoute wrote:
Am 14.12.2015 um 17:06 schrieb Basil Jet:

Presumably this one. 13'9" clearance on the South Circular Road.
You'd have to wonder how blind someone would have to be to hit that.

Oops...
https://goo.gl/maps/AE7Z3fJAGoH2

Holy crap, I couldn't work out what that was at first but what looks
like a tarpaulin hanging on the side is actually bulging steel from the
container which is caved in at the front. Great company name too...
"Logistic Planning Services". I don't think they planned this!
Old December 14th 15, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 14/12/2015 20:08, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2015\12\14 19:38, Redoute wrote:
Am 14.12.2015 um 17:06 schrieb Basil Jet:

Presumably this one. 13'9" clearance on the South Circular Road.
You'd have to wonder how blind someone would have to be to hit that.

/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBwp5vFSgRP41eEqPrAWAsw!2e0?for ce=lite

Oops... https://goo.gl/maps/AE7Z3fJAGoH2

Holy crap, I couldn't work out what that was at first but what looks
like a tarpaulin hanging on the side is actually bulging steel from the
container which is caved in at the front. Great company name too...
"Logistic Planning Services". I don't think they planned this!

Indeed, it's a shipping container that's taken a hefty whack! The whole
side wall of the container appears to be at a slight angle too.

Coming from that direction, the lorry will have passed a height
activated warning sign too. I think there's a fair amount of advance
signage about this bridge too. I suppose the issue is that it is the
grandly named South Circular Road, and so perhaps lulls drivers
(particularly those familiar with the North Circular) into a false sense
of security, though it's not the only low bridge on the route.