London Banter

-   -   New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14700-new-bermondsey-station-surrey-canal.html)

Bryan Morris January 2nd 16 08:39 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 17:58:43
on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, remarked:

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago. They were more common when I was a
child. There is other Thames river freight traffic. the barges run into
Putney railway Bridge from time to time.

Trams, and possibly trains, are delivered by sea to the docks at
Dartford. But that's hardly "inland". Where do the "inland" waterways
start - probably where no longer tidal.

The Thames is tidal till Teddington Lock and loses its sea salt between
Battersea and Gravesend,
--
Bryan Morris
Public Key

Robin9 January 2nd 16 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 152800)

I thought the spoil from Crossrail was taken away from London
by barge.

Water transport is far cheaper than road or rail if the product
is already alongside the water. It's the transhipment (re-loading)
costs which killed river and barge freight. There are many products
where speed of delivery is not critical, and with bulk transport it is
often worthwhile producing the product early to gain the savings
on transport.

[email protected] January 2nd 16 02:00 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On 01.01.16 17:59, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016,
" remarked:

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may have
ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has commercial traffic.

I was referring primarily to inland waterways, such as the Grand Union
or even Caledonian.

I also wonder if any freight travels along the Göta Canal, in Sweden.

Basil Jet[_4_] January 2nd 16 03:00 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On 2016\01\02 10:14, Robin9 wrote:
;152800 Wrote:
In article ,
(Roland
Perry)
wrote:
-
In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan
2016, "
remarked:
-
Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?-

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may
have ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has
commercial traffic.

Inland, the speed and carrying capacity of a narrowboat has been
pretty much superseded by road transport (itself superseding rail),
unless the goods you refer to are holidaymakers.-

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago. They were more common when I was a

child. There is other Thames river freight traffic. the barges run into

Putney railway Bridge from time to time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I thought the spoil from Crossrail was taken away from London
by barge.

Water transport is far cheaper than road or rail if the product
is already alongside the water.

Even when you add in the wages of the staff, which will be ten times as
much for the boat, since the boat takes ten times as long to do the same
distance?

[email protected] January 2nd 16 03:25 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
17:58:43 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016,
remarked:

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago. They were more common when I was a
child. There is other Thames river freight traffic. the barges run into
Putney railway Bridge from time to time.

Trams, and possibly trains, are delivered by sea to the docks at
Dartford. But that's hardly "inland". Where do the "inland" waterways
start - probably where no longer tidal.

That would exclude the whole of the Thames in London. The traditional
boundary between sea and waterway used to be the Pool of London, between
Tower and London Bridges.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry January 2nd 16 06:28 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In message , at 10:25:21
on Sat, 2 Jan 2016, remarked:
Where do the "inland" waterways
start - probably where no longer tidal.

That would exclude the whole of the Thames in London.

In central London. The river upstream of Teddington is still in London
(Boroughs of Richmond or Kingston depending on which side of the river).

The traditional boundary between sea and waterway used to be the Pool
of London, between Tower and London Bridges.

For what purposes? BWB licences, for example.

[email protected] January 2nd 16 11:03 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2016\01\02 10:14, Robin9 wrote:
;152800 Wrote:
In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:
-
[...]

Probably fewer staff per tonne though. So cheaper for high tonnages.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 2nd 16 11:47 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
10:25:21 on Sat, 2 Jan 2016,
remarked:
Where do the "inland" waterways
start - probably where no longer tidal.

That would exclude the whole of the Thames in London.

In central London. The river upstream of Teddington is still in
London (Boroughs of Richmond or Kingston depending on which side of
the river).

The traditional boundary between sea and waterway used to be the Pool
of London, between Tower and London Bridges.

For what purposes? BWB licences, for example.

Not sure, just the rule as I learned it as a nipper. I think the PLA's
authority doesn't extend upstream of London Bridge.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] January 3rd 16 01:38 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On 2016\01\03 00:03, wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2016\01\02 10:14, Robin9 wrote:
;152800 Wrote:
In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:
-
[...]

Are you talking about ocean-going ships? Canal boats can't hold as much
as a train, and I doubt they could even hold as much as a lorry.

Recliner[_3_] January 3rd 16 01:54 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\01\03 00:03, wrote:
In article ,
(Basil Jet)

[...]