London Banter

-   -   New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14700-new-bermondsey-station-surrey-canal.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] December 26th 15 09:23 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Be...ailway_station

"Construction work is likely to start before the end of 2015"

Did it start? When is the station due to open?

[email protected] December 26th 15 02:04 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?

contrex December 26th 15 03:32 PM

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 3:04:37 PM UTC, wrote:
My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?

Family legend has it that between 1920-1940 my maternal grandfather was retained by two boroughs (not sure which) to pull human and animal corpses out of the canal; he got five bob from one and seven-and-six from the other, and, so the story goes, if a body was near the borough boundary he was not averse to prior to recovery punting it along with his long pole until it crossed into the highing-paying borough.

contrex December 26th 15 03:34 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 4:32:22 PM UTC, contrex wrote:
highing-paying borough.

That's 'higher-paying borough'...

Martin Smith[_5_] December 31st 15 07:18 PM

On 26/12/2015 15:04, wrote:
My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?

Indeed, most large timber yards were on canals, it was the only way that
really large amounts of wood could be easily transported, the timber
yard in Peckham Hill St backs onto what used to be known as Canal Head,
where the canal terminated in Peckham. Not far down the road in
Willowbrook Road there is still a canal bridge, that part of the old
canal track is now a pleasant foot and bicycle path, it also ran east
west through what is now Burgess Park, there are stil the realtively
preserved remaims of what was probably a lime kiln, though it could have
been a brick kiln, someone here will know for sure.
--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

[email protected] January 1st 16 04:00 PM

On 31.12.15 20:18, Martin Smith wrote:
On 26/12/2015 15:04, wrote:
[...]

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

Roland Perry January 1st 16 04:59 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016,
" remarked:

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may have
ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has commercial
traffic.

Inland, the speed and carrying capacity of a narrowboat has been pretty
much superseded by road transport (itself superseding rail), unless the
goods you refer to are holidaymakers.

[email protected] January 1st 16 10:58 PM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan
2016, " remarked:

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may
have ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has
commercial traffic.

Inland, the speed and carrying capacity of a narrowboat has been
pretty much superseded by road transport (itself superseding rail),
unless the goods you refer to are holidaymakers.

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago. They were more common when I was a
child. There is other Thames river freight traffic. the barges run into
Putney railway Bridge from time to time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] January 2nd 16 02:05 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

On 2016\01\01 23:58, wrote:
In article ,
(Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan
2016, " remarked:

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may
have ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has
commercial traffic.

Inland, the speed and carrying capacity of a narrowboat has been
pretty much superseded by road transport (itself superseding rail),
unless the goods you refer to are holidaymakers.

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago.

Here's one loading at a harbour next to Cannon Street Station.

Roland Perry January 2nd 16 08:15 AM

New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

In message , at 17:58:43
on Fri, 1 Jan 2016, remarked:

Lighters on the Thames are still used for waste in London, I was a bit
surprised to find a year or two ago. They were more common when I was a
child. There is other Thames river freight traffic. the barges run into
Putney railway Bridge from time to time.

Trams, and possibly trains, are delivered by sea to the docks at
Dartford. But that's hardly "inland". Where do the "inland" waterways
start - probably where no longer tidal.