Old January 2nd 16, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

"e27002 aurora" wrote

Not sure about that, or else emeritus status is universal. I've never met
and ex-professor.

My brother is retiring as "Associate" Professor from a Canadian

University. I do not know how that relates to UK or US positions, or
what he will retain. I doubt he cares either way.

Associate Professor translates to BritEng as "Reader".

--
Mike D

Old January 2nd 16, 02:22 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Spud wrote

Indeed they are responsible. If they want to do it thats up to them but I

personally don't see why my taxes should go to pick up the pieces of their
lives or health when it goes pear shaped.

Happens all the time, think Mountain Rescue or the guy who drowned trying to
rescue his dog (usually the dog makes it) or any A&E admission. About the
only trace of the old system is the charge to Insurance companies when a
motorist is treated after an accident.

--
Mike D

Old January 3rd 16, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 18:12:08 GMT, Anna Noyd-Dryver
wrote:

e27002 aurora wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:32:56 +0000, Robert
wrote:

Er, the Hammersmith & City Railway (H&CR) was financed jointly by the
GWR and the Metropolitain Railway and opened in 1864. There is nothing
artificial about it.

Point taken. When I lived in London 40 years back, the H&C was simply
part of the Met. If TfL want to maintain the GWR connection how about
helping the longsuffering passengers and restoring the cross-platform
interchange at Paddington. Before the issue of crossing the 3rd and
4th rail tracks comes up, that could be avoided with a long single
track from Royal Oak to platform 16.

Cross platform for who? The small number if trains which would use the
particular platform adjacent to the H&C platform - which would not
necessarily be to consistent destinations. Besides which with the new
entrance to the H&C platforms you'd actually further inconvenience non-H&C
travellers who did want to use your platform 16 trains.

The Crossrail tunnel entrance, and lines from there to the Crossrail depot
at OOC, have/will change the railway geography in that area - access to
your 'long single line' ('cos they never cause operational problems or
limit terminal platform re-occupation times) isn't as easy as you seem to
think.

More than happy to take the word of you, a professional.

However, I would point out:
At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Later, they could do the same by crossing a platform at Paddington.
Now this is lost. It will be somewhat replaced by Crossrail.

Likewise someone wishing to travel between Ladbroke Grove to Southall
could change at Westbourne Park. Now the traveller has to go thru
Paddington.

It is almost as if there is a conscious effort to isolate the
Hammersmith Branch. :-)
Old January 3rd 16, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:25:21 -0600
wrote:
In article ,

(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 15:28:34 GMT,
d wrote:

The Beatles were just the first boy band with all the accompanying
hysteria. Once all the baby boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil
they'll justjust another name in the musical history books. I doubt many
people under the age of 60 actually listens to them on a regular basis.

[There's something odd about your newsreader. I got none of the above text
in this post, just the headers which is why I'm commenting to Aurora's
comment because his browser did pick up your content. I can't see the
content of your reply to this message of his either.]

Probably a problem with the aioe nttp server which went off air over the new
year. Another of my posts seems to have completely vanished into the ether.

You're totally wrong about the Beatles if my family is anything to go by. My
daughters (29 and 23) are and always have been as keen on Beatles music as I
am and now my granddaughter (9) is too.

There are always exceptions. But in general the people who listen to the
pop music (this doesn't apply to classical or rock) of a certain era are
people who grew up in that era so the majority of people who listen to 60s
pop music would have had their formative years in that decade.

--
Spud