Old January 13th 16, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:51:38 +0000
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Mizter T
writes

Hammersmith is no longer a depot as such. It's just a stabling point.

We have to take trains from Ealing Common to Edgware Road for H&C
services now.

Back on the front now?

Have been for over a year.

Do you like the S-stock - from a driver's POV that is?

I love them. Comfortable, good driving position, cab air-com (although
it's a bit noisy) and hi-tech controls (which always goes down well with
me!)

It's almost disappointing when a D stock turns up as they are getting
dated and not much loved by the depots these days.

Someone needs to ask LU why they spent millions having the D stock fully
refurbished up until 2008 only to bin them 7 years later.

--
Spud

Old January 13th 16, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Mizter T
writes

Hammersmith is no longer a depot as such. It's just a stabling point.

We have to take trains from Ealing Common to Edgware Road for H&C
services now.

Back on the front now?

Have been for over a year.

Do you like the S-stock - from a driver's POV that is?

I love them. Comfortable, good driving position, cab air-com (although
it's a bit noisy) and hi-tech controls (which always goes down well with
me!)

It's almost disappointing when a D stock turns up as they are getting
dated and not much loved by the depots these days.

Someone needs to ask LU why they spent millions having the D stock fully
refurbished up until 2008 only to bin them 7 years later.

It's a fair point, but I think this was yet another Metronet-related issue.
The refurbishment was delayed by the PPP contract, and should have happened
years earlier. See
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lond...#Refurbishment

Also, not all the D stock has been binned yet; most are still in service
with LU, so it'll be more like 8-10 years between the refurbishment and the
transfer to Vivarail. I suspect you'd be at the front of the queue of the
complainers if the D stock was still running around unrefurbished after 35
years of service.
Old January 13th 16, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:08:43 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
transfer to Vivarail. I suspect you'd be at the front of the queue of the
complainers if the D stock was still running around unrefurbished after 35
years of service.

As long as a train is reliable I don't really care what the interior decor is
like especially if a refurb means yet more strain on the budget and hence
potential ticket price rises.

--
Spud

Old January 13th 16, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
transfer to Vivarail. I suspect you'd be at the front of the queue of the
complainers if the D stock was still running around unrefurbished after 35
years of service.

As long as a train is reliable I don't really care what the interior decor is
like especially if a refurb means yet more strain on the budget and hence
potential ticket price rises.

Were you under the impression that the refurbishment was just a paint job??
Wow!

See these pages to see what was actually done. Most of it was to improve
functionality and reliability, as well as some safety features. The paint
job was also needed for trains that were looking shabby and graffiti
stained after 25 years of service, but it was a small part of the project.
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...rbishment.html
Old January 13th 16, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
transfer to Vivarail. I suspect you'd be at the front of the queue of the
complainers if the D stock was still running around unrefurbished after 35
years of service.

As long as a train is reliable I don't really care what the interior decor

is
like especially if a refurb means yet more strain on the budget and hence
potential ticket price rises.

Were you under the impression that the refurbishment was just a paint job??
Wow!

See these pages to see what was actually done. Most of it was to improve
functionality and reliability, as well as some safety features. The paint
job was also needed for trains that were looking shabby and graffiti
stained after 25 years of service, but it was a small part of the project.
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...rbishment.html

I don't see anything (in this admittedly messy site) about the motors or
traction control equipment being refurbished. So some wiring was redone and
an "information system" was put in. Nothing that was vital for a train about
to be ditched less than 10 years later.

--
Spud

Old January 13th 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
[...]

Here's your list:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lond...#Refurbishment

The bogies were also replaced, but I think that was a separate project.

I don't think they knew the replacement plans when the refurbishment plans
were agreed.

Old January 14th 16, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:26:52 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
signalling debacle has put paid to that as has the obsessing about
"New Tube for London" and the later decision to "do something" with 72
stock to keep it going until it can collect its pension.

Whats the status with the 72 stock? Its it doing alright or is it all hands
to the pumps to keep it going?

--
Spud

Old January 14th 16, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:58:22 +0000, Mizter T
wrote:

On 03/01/2016 10:48, e27002 aurora wrote:
[...]
And, yes I am aware the trendy thing is to keep all ones music on a
hard drive. But, I like having the CDs.

You're a bit out of date... music is streamed from the cloud these days!

Possibly, Mizter T, but I do not like music in compressed formats. It
loses fidelity. I listen to .wav and .cdr formats.

Strictly speaking my music is in the cloud. My music folder is in
drobox, so it is synced over all my computers.