Old January 14th 16, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Map of station usage

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 15:10:23 on Wed, 13 Jan
2016, Basil Jet remarked:
I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Competition time!

Which stations have the biggest shift of ticket types from one year
to the next. My first candidate is Shippea Hill which went from 64%
Season tickets in 2012-13 to 0% in 2013-14

I presume the season ticket holder left school. Shippea Hill has lost a
third of its other passengers, however.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 14th 16, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:10:23PM +0000, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It does an excellent job of showing how big a lie headlines are that
just look at the full turn-up-and-go fares.

Wow, my first sigquoting! I feel so special now!
-- Dan Sugalski
Old January 14th 16, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:29:23
on Thu, 14 Jan 2016, remarked:
http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Competition time!

Which stations have the biggest shift of ticket types from one year
to the next. My first candidate is Shippea Hill which went from 64%
Season tickets in 2012-13 to 0% in 2013-14

I presume the season ticket holder left school.

The only weekday train is the 7:28 to Norwich. How would they get back?

Shippea Hill has lost a third of its other passengers, however.

Old January 14th 16, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:46:37 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2016\01\13 15:30, Martin Coffee wrote:
On 13/01/16 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It seems to be working for me.

I don't get any colours alongside the operator names, but that's no
biggy. The lack of any clue what the blob sizes mean is my main beef.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.

Sorry to hear that Basil. :-)

You owe it to yourself to give Firefox a try.
Old January 14th 16, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/01/2016 09:40, d wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:10:23 +0000 Basil Jet
wrote:
I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work,
but the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Its sad how sparse the network is, especially in east anglia. People
who waffle on about the demise of the private car really need to take
a good look at this map.

-- Spud

Yes - a lot of lines were closed by Marples/Beeching, and some even
before that. All the cities and large towns retain railways, but
elsewhere the population density is fairly light, with smallish towns
(under about 10000 population), villages and lots of space between them
- certainly nowhere large enough to support viable rail services.

Old January 14th 16, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
06:29:23 on Thu, 14 Jan 2016,
remarked:
http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Competition time!

Which stations have the biggest shift of ticket types from one year
to the next. My first candidate is Shippea Hill which went from 64%
Season tickets in 2012-13 to 0% in 2013-14

I presume the season ticket holder left school.

The only weekday train is the 7:28 to Norwich. How would they get
back?

I understand her father picked her up. I actually saw her on that train once
and was told about her by the guard. On that occasion someone also got off
at Shippea Hill but he wasn't a regular.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 15th 16, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:36:36
on Thu, 14 Jan 2016, remarked:
http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Competition time!

Which stations have the biggest shift of ticket types from one year
to the next. My first candidate is Shippea Hill which went from 64%
Season tickets in 2012-13 to 0% in 2013-14

I presume the season ticket holder left school.

The only weekday train is the 7:28 to Norwich. How would they get
back?

I understand her father picked her up. I actually saw her on that train once
and was told about her by the guard. On that occasion someone also got off
at Shippea Hill but he wasn't a regular.

One of the problems with this anecdote is that the total entries and
exits in 2012-2013 was 50, with 64% on a season ticket. Which is 32, and
because it's based on ticket sales rather than an actual census means
they sold 16 days "worth" of season ticket. Perhaps they have some sort
of standard multiplier, in which case 4 days per weekly season would
seem to fit. So they only sold four weekly season tickets.
Old January 15th 16, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
16:36:36 on Thu, 14 Jan 2016,
remarked:
[...]

Judging from how old she looked when I travelled (in 2012 IIRC) she left
school during that year. ISTR the previous year's usage figures were
somewhat higher and several years ago's (before she started school in
Thetford) somewhat lower though not quite as low as the most recent figure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 15th 16, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 05:25:13
on Fri, 15 Jan 2016, remarked:
[...]

I've got some of the old numbers he

09/10: 352 seasons in and 352 out
08/09: 354
07/08: 377
Old January 15th 16, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:25:13 on Fri, 15 Jan 2016,
remarked:
[...]

Consistent with leaving school during 2012-13.

--
Colin Rosenstiel