Old January 22nd 16, 08:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Overground expansion

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:42:10 on Fri, 22 Jan 2016, Recliner
remarked:
The Royal Mail dropped county names from addresses years ago.

Yes, but too many web forms still make it a mandatory field, probably
because they were originally designed to collect US addresses.

Not literally so, because US addresses don't include the county. In
general they are shorter than UK addresses, only having Street, Town,
State (universally abbreviated) and Zipcode.

For example, Microsoft is: One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052-7329.
No mention at all of King County.

Old January 22nd 16, 08:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:42:10 on Fri, 22 Jan 2016, Recliner
remarked:
The Royal Mail dropped county names from addresses years ago.

Yes, but too many web forms still make it a mandatory field, probably
because they were originally designed to collect US addresses.

Not literally so, because US addresses don't include the county. In
general they are shorter than UK addresses, only having Street, Town,
State (universally abbreviated) and Zipcode.

For example, Microsoft is: One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052-7329.
No mention at all of King County.

I know. I meant that they insist on a county here because a state is
mandatory in US addresses. Web site designers think they've
internationalised a US site for the UK by changing the State field name
into County.

Old January 22nd 16, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground expansion

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 19:30:32 on Thu,
21 Jan 2016, Robin9 remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/jo9jopt
entire-suburban-rail-network-a3161586.htm

Sounds very ambitious.

What I don't really understand is the concept of "running services"
within London vs further afield when many of the trains will cross the
boundary. For example they mention GN and Welwyn Garden City, but does
this mean they'll only be transferring the terminators (which serve
Moorgate), rather than the Peterborough/Letchworth/Cambridge trains?

Is there any reason to assume that TfL/London Overground
can do a better job than the current franchise holders?

I know the present service is far better and passenger numbers
far greater than was the case during the Silverlink period; but
have those improvements been the result of unusual aptitudes
and skills? Is it not the case that heavy investment - and access
to funds - is the main reason things have improved? Is there any
evidence to suggest that TfL/London Overground have more
management skill, knowledge and understanding than their
counterparts among the current TOCs?

Why should we believe that handing all these services over to
London Overground will make things better?

It's been said several times that TSGN is probably "too big to be
manageable" - by Govia anyway. Slimming it down by shifting some of
the services to an alternative operator (and alternative operator)
might help.

Also, there are probably some compromises involved when operating
both short and middle distance routes simultaneously, so again
splitting into [any] two operations could have advantages.

One route NOT included in yesterday's announced scheme is Thameslink.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 22nd 16, 09:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:20:58 -0000 (UTC), Recliner wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I find "England" is accepted.
Old January 22nd 16, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 22/01/16 08:42, Recliner wrote:
Optimist wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 01:12:39 -0000, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

"Recliner" wrote

happening with Greater London, perhaps because so much of so many
historic counties came together that no group dominated.

The strange anomaly is Middlesex, which has been entirely absorbed into
Greater London, but whose name persists in postal addresses in some
boroughs, but not others.

"entirely absorbed"

Not so, thus Surrey got Sunbury, Shepperton, Ashford and Staines;
Hertfordshire got Potters Bar and in further changes Berkshire got Poyle.

For extra credit, point out the bit of Surrey that was north of the Thames
before these changes.

The Royal Mail dropped county names from addresses years ago.

Yes, but too many web forms still make it a mandatory field, probably
because they were originally designed to collect US addresses.

Which is a real problem here in south Wales because the current counties
are often missing from the data bases and we are often forced to use the
previous ones from drop downs!

My address is also not in the post code data base which can cause
problems. In my case my land line had to be installed in an
"outbuilding" at my postcode!

Old January 22nd 16, 09:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:20:58 on Fri, 22 Jan 2016, Recliner
remarked:
The Royal Mail dropped county names from addresses years ago.

Yes, but too many web forms still make it a mandatory field, probably
because they were originally designed to collect US addresses.

Not literally so, because US addresses don't include the county. In
general they are shorter than UK addresses, only having Street, Town,
State (universally abbreviated) and Zipcode.

For example, Microsoft is: One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052-7329.
No mention at all of King County.

I know. I meant that they insist on a county here because a state is
mandatory in US addresses. Web site designers think they've
internationalised a US site for the UK by changing the State field name
into County.

I wonder if we could thwart them by typing "England" as the county and
"European Union" as the country?

ps We do still have some counties in our addresses; places in
Peterborough for example, which is a County. Although in any event
Peterborough is a "Post Town".
Old January 22nd 16, 09:48 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Apples and oranges.

I was born in Middlesex . . . . a long time ago: in
Southgate N14 which in those days was part of Middlesex.

"Friern Barnet" and "The West End" are still in use because
they refer to specific areas which still exist. Middlesex does
not still exist and was anyway a huge, rambling area which
no-one needs to refer to. If the old area of Middlesex was
somewhere people needed to refer to, the name would be in
constant daily use, as are Home Counties, Yorkshire Moors,
The Cotswolds etc.
Old January 22nd 16, 09:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:20:07 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

The post town should be abolished, as we have the post code. It often misleads strangers who not
unreasonably follow signposts to it but can find themselves miles away from their intended
destination.

Old January 22nd 16, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 19:02:06 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2016\01\21 16:41, Recliner wrote:

The strange anomaly is Middlesex, which has been entirely absorbed into
Greater London,

Not quite... Potters Bar was handed over to Hertfordshire.

but whose name persists in postal addresses in some
boroughs, but not others.

There is also a Middlesex Football Association and presumably countless
other societies. There are also new Middlesex signs that have been put
up at the border within the last few years. Here's one..

It's also odd that places like Bromley still pretend to be in Kent, though
at least Kent still exists, unlike Middlesex.

Middlesex still exists, it just doesn't have a council. It existed for
hundreds of years before it had a council.

Middlesex exist in the countless property deeds and legal documents
wherein it is referenced.