Old January 21st 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground expansion

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...nd-of-londons-
entire-suburban-rail-network-a3161586.htm

Sounds very ambitious.

What I don't really understand is the concept of "running services"
within London vs further afield when many of the trains will cross the
boundary. For example they mention GN and Welwyn Garden City, but does
this mean they'll only be transferring the terminators (which serve
Moorgate), rather than the Peterborough/Letchworth/Cambridge trains?

Old January 21st 16, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default London Overground expansion

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 09:40:50 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...nd-of-londons-
entire-suburban-rail-network-a3161586.htm

Sounds very ambitious.

What I don't really understand is the concept of "running services"
within London vs further afield when many of the trains will cross the
boundary. For example they mention GN and Welwyn Garden City, but does
this mean they'll only be transferring the terminators (which serve
Moorgate), rather than the Peterborough/Letchworth/Cambridge trains?

URL corrected, tiny URL added:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tfl-to-take-command-of-londons-entire-suburban-rail-network-a3161586.html

http://tinyurl.com/gwzwmch

Xposted for wider audience.

This plan will not end well. It is a bureaucratic nightmare in the
making. Moreover, as TfL's budget is stretched quality will fall.

Better, IMHO, to add the county of Oxford and Hampshire to the list of
Home Counties, and have a Home Counties PTE.

We need the "London Passenger Transport Area" back.
Old January 21st 16, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

wrote:

[...]

No - we need a set of stations on the periphery of the London area where
the trains from the home counties terminate and then there is some
radical method of transportation in to the centre of London
Old January 21st 16, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Dear God. rolls eyes

Yup, Adrian's answer to everything is to roll back the clock to a
supposed golden era, roughly the time he was born.
Old January 21st 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Precisely the logic of 150 years ago. At that time the Euston Road was the periphery and underground railways were the radical new method.

Robin

The taxpayers and fare payers of the home county are responsible for
London's wealth creation. Their taxes and fares pay for the rail
networks, and then some. It is time they had some say in how their
money is spent. Moreover they are overdue some comfort during their
daily commute.

What the Home County's commuters do not need is some superfluous mayor
of an artificial county disrupting their travel arrangements.

Old January 21st 16, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Corrected version:

The taxpayers and fare payers of the home counties are responsible for
London's wealth creation. Their taxes and fares pay for the rail
networks, and then some. It is time they had some say in how their
money is spent. Moreover they are overdue some comfort during their
daily commute.

What the Home Counties' commuters do not need is some superfluous
Old January 21st 16, 01:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

In what sense is Greater London any more of an 'artificial county'
than any other local authority border from any time in history? Any
arbitrary man-made lines on a map are artificial.
Old January 21st 16, 02:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I am amazed that government bodies are basically saying to our face
"Some people have made themselves a bit unwelcome in Cologne and other
parts of Germany so they are all going to invade Britain instead" and
no-one bats an eyelid because we all just coo-coo over the new trainset.
Old January 21st 16, 02:15 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Citation please? I'm personally of the view it is impossible to
dimension a railway to cater for all the people who believe it is their
right to commute 50 miles each way every day to arrive just before 9am
and leave around 17:30. All with a guaranteed seat and a short walk to
their detached home in a leafy suburb.

And are you suggesting people in London do not contribute to taxation etc?
Old January 21st 16, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:05:19 +0000, wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 03:15:02 -0800, aurora wrote:

Better, IMHO, to add the county of Oxford and Hampshire to the list of
Home Counties, and have a Home Counties PTE.

We need the "London Passenger Transport Area" back.

I live in Hampshire. It is a County with a lot of diversification,
North Hampshire is very similar to Surrey in that areas like Aldershot
,Fleet Hartley Witney after years off assault from the Metropolis are
not much more than dormitory areas of boring towns interspersed by
golf courses separated by pinewoods and scrubby heath that make the
inhabitants think they live in the country.
This end where I can hit Dorset with a good rifle has a completely
different character and I don't think I would be alone in thinking
London should not be controlling things this far West.
Now there are some commuters from these parts to London, my neighbour
has a contract that involves frequent visits at the moment ,but they
depart from Salisbury which is actually closer to London than this
part of Hants so are you going to then add that County to your Home
Counties PT as well?

No. The only aim is to take in those areas contributing to London's
wealth because of their high commuter quotient. Commuters in these
areas will be impacted by the "Mayor's" mishigas, but have no control
over it.

Southampton and Portsmouth are now unitary authorities, within
Hampshire, but outwith the ambit of Hampshire's authority.

The City of Westminster is easily as significant as Southampton. But,
Westminster has the tax burden and authority of the mayor's office
imposed on it.

The only role the regional authority provides, that Westminster cannot
in isolation, is transit. But, the moving of people does NOT end at
London's regional boundaries.

So why not drop the nonsense of the London regional authority. But,
for travel and transit body purposes have a body covering SE Commuter
land.

The London Boroughs are perfectly capable of functioning as Unitary
Authorities. OTOH, the movement of people is an issue they share with
the surrounding counties and municipalities.

As things stand SWT don't do a bad job of combining a commuter flow
amongst those who are travelling medium distance to destinations
further West such as Exeter. Cannot really see the need for London to
have more influence.

SWT do pretty well. I am a very satisfied customer. We do not need
our service on the south coast disrupting by London Overground's
antics in metropolis.