Old February 17th 16, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground line maps

This blog post is interesting

http://www.stationmasterapp.com/blog...carriage-maps/

Personally, I reckon these new individual line maps will be even more
confusing. When are TfL, usually pioneers in clear communication of service
information, going to rid us of this madness and accept that different
Overground lines need different identities?

Lew

Old February 17th 16, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\02\17 12:43, Lew 1 wrote:

This blog post is interesting

http://www.stationmasterapp.com/blog...carriage-maps/

Personally, I reckon these new individual line maps will be even more
confusing. When are TfL, usually pioneers in clear communication of service
information, going to rid us of this madness and accept that different
Overground lines need different identities?

Agree 100%.

I notice that the NLL/WLL line map seems to imply that a zone 3
Travelcard is no good for a trip from Willesden Junction to Acton
Central, because you pass through Zone 2, which is wrong I believe.
Old February 17th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Lew 1 wrote:

This blog post is interesting

http://www.stationmasterapp.com/blog...carriage-maps/

Personally, I reckon these new individual line maps will be even more
confusing. When are TfL, usually pioneers in clear communication of service
information, going to rid us of this madness and accept that different
Overground lines need different identities?

They're no more complicated than the multiple line diagrams found
on parts of the SSL (e.g. Wimbleware + Circle + H&C).

--
Mike Bristow

Old February 17th 16, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Lew 1 wrote:

This blog post is interesting

http://www.stationmasterapp.com/blog...carriage-maps/

Personally, I reckon these new individual line maps will be even more
confusing. When are TfL, usually pioneers in clear communication of service
information, going to rid us of this madness and accept that different
Overground lines need different identities?

They're no more complicated than the multiple line diagrams found
on parts of the SSL (e.g. Wimbleware + Circle + H&C).

Except they have separate line names with the one that you are on announced
at every station...

Lew

Old February 18th 16, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I reckon that the District line is of the maximum complexity that can be covered by a single line identity. The expanded London Overground is now way beyond that level of complexity, and is crying out for a range of line identities. And those identities should not just be the end points, that is what is wrong with how directions are indicated on the Paris Metro - you can determine the compass direction by only consulting the local part of a map, but to identify a line and/or direction by a destination requires viewing a lot more of the map.

Old February 18th 16, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 05:18:56 -0800 (PST)
Steve Lewis wrote:
I reckon that the District line is of the maximum complexity that can be co=
vered by a single line identity. The expanded London Overground is now way =
beyond that level of complexity, and is crying out for a range of line iden=
tities. And those identities should not just be the end points, that is wha=

Agreed. But also the DLR to a lesser extent.

--
Spud

Old February 18th 16, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 15:20:59 UTC, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\02\17 12:43, Lew 1 wrote:

This blog post is interesting

http://www.stationmasterapp.com/blog...carriage-maps/

Personally, I reckon these new individual line maps will be even more
confusing. When are TfL, usually pioneers in clear communication of service
information, going to rid us of this madness and accept that different
Overground lines need different identities?

Agree 100%.

I notice that the NLL/WLL line map seems to imply that a zone 3
Travelcard is no good for a trip from Willesden Junction to Acton
Central, because you pass through Zone 2, which is wrong I believe.

I'd re-design it to put the Clapham Junction branch under the Stratford line. If you do this, then Willesden Jn could be shown as split zone 2/3.

I'd also show Stratford as zone 2 not zone 2/3, because what you'd be charged (like how Elephant & Castle is shown on Bakerloo line zone maps)
Old February 18th 16, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Steve Lewis wrote:
I reckon that the District line is of the maximum complexity that can
be covered by a single line identity. The expanded London Overground is
now way beyond that level of complexity, and is crying out for a range
of line identities.

Try looking at T1 and T2 on the Sydney network.

Imagine being on the platform at Chatswood when a Epping train is
announced and you want to go there.

And as for identifying the first train to the airport from Town Hall ...

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old February 18th 16, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\02\18 13:18, Steve Lewis wrote:
I reckon that the District line is of the maximum complexity that can be covered by a single line identity.

Actually it is past it... the Wimbleware should be a separate line
(sharing track to Wimbledon with the District Line).

The signage at Paddington for the Circle Line is also a nightmare...
especially the bizarre and enigmatic enamel sign split in two on
platform 12 or thereabouts (perhaps Damien Hirst did it).