Old March 2nd 16, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Forest Gategate

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\03\02 23:19, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\03\02 17:25, Robin9 wrote:

I drove down Woodgrange Road today past the two stations a few
hours before reading your post. Next time I'll re-set my clock and
measure the distance.

Forest Gate geo:51.5494,0.0242
Wanstead Park geo:51.5518,0.0264

The north-south distance is 267m, the actual distance is near enough to
that.

Incidentally, the 12-carriage platforms at St Pancras Thameslink etc are
something like 240m long I believe.

Pah, the Eurostar platforms are 400m long, and if you arrive in a high
numbered carriage you have to walk almost that full length just to leave
the platform. It's probably another 100m+ to get to a Tube platform. So you
could easily walk 500m or more to get from your Eurostar seat to a Tube
train -- not much fun if you have luggage. But at least it's all under
cover, and it can be step-free if needed.

Old March 3rd 16, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin9 wrote:

Mike Bristow;154290 Wrote:

Robin9 wrote this bit:
TfL are peddling flannel, The Standard is telling the truth.
The distance between Forest Gate Station and Wanstead Park
Station is far greater than the distances at West Hampstead.-

Er, not really. Forest Gate - Wanstead Park is ~200-250m; so is
West Hampstead Tube - West Hampstead Thameslink. While the West
Hampstead link might be marginally shorter, they're certainly in
the same ballpark.

I drove down Woodgrange Road today past the two stations a few
hours before reading your post. Next time I'll re-set my clock and
measure the distance.

This morning I met a woman who has severe back problems as
has her 70 year old mother. She told me she has difficulties in
walking or standing up for long periods. I explained the bone of
contention in this thread and asked her opinion. She affirmed
that my argument is correct and that for people with mobility
problems, being obliged to walk between stations is onerous.

That wasn't the point I was responding to; you originally said
that the distance between Forest Gate and Wanstead Park is far
greater than the distances at West Hampstead.

That is simply not true.

There is, perhaps, an interesting debate to be had about how close
two platforms can be to count as an interchange; my suspicion is
that Forest Gate / Wanstead Park are close enough for any sensible
gap - if they're not, then interchanges between the Central Line
and Northern at Bank probably don't count either.

--
Mike Bristow
Old March 3rd 16, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 23:31:34 on Wed, 2 Mar 2016, Recliner
remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\03\02 23:19, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\03\02 17:25, Robin9 wrote:

I drove down Woodgrange Road today past the two stations a few
hours before reading your post. Next time I'll re-set my clock and
measure the distance.

Forest Gate geo:51.5494,0.0242
Wanstead Park geo:51.5518,0.0264

The north-south distance is 267m, the actual distance is near enough to
that.

Incidentally, the 12-carriage platforms at St Pancras Thameslink etc are
something like 240m long I believe.

Pah, the Eurostar platforms are 400m long, and if you arrive in a high
numbered carriage you have to walk almost that full length just to leave
the platform. It's probably another 100m+ to get to a Tube platform.

In your dreams. Especially if you want the step-free access to the
Victoria Line it's getting on for a ten minute walk (via the Northern
ticket hall).

Old March 3rd 16, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:33:49 on Thu,
3 Mar 2016, Mike Bristow remarked:

There is, perhaps, an interesting debate to be had about how close
two platforms can be to count as an interchange; my suspicion is
that Forest Gate / Wanstead Park are close enough for any sensible
gap - if they're not, then interchanges between the Central Line
and Northern at Bank probably don't count either.

I was surprised how far it was from Bow Road to Bow Church. About 300m,
and also in the opposite direction to the way it's depicted on the tube
map.
Old March 3rd 16, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

When I said "a Tube platform", I obviously meant the closest ones, the SSL,
which are a lot closer than the Victoria line. As discussed later in the
thread, that's much further away.

Old March 3rd 16, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-03-03 06:33:49 +0000, Mike Bristow said:

There is, perhaps, an interesting debate to be had about how close
two platforms can be to count as an interchange; my suspicion is
that Forest Gate / Wanstead Park are close enough for any sensible
gap - if they're not, then interchanges between the Central Line
and Northern at Bank probably don't count either.

Bank is an awful lot worse, because in the peak they actually make you
walk further deliberately to avoid congestion in certain parts of the
station. There are good reasons for this, but it doesn't make the
station a good choice for anyone of limited mobility.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old March 3rd 16, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:18:22 +0000
On 2016-03-03 06:33:49 +0000, Mike Bristow said:

There is, perhaps, an interesting debate to be had about how close
two platforms can be to count as an interchange; my suspicion is
that Forest Gate / Wanstead Park are close enough for any sensible
gap - if they're not, then interchanges between the Central Line
and Northern at Bank probably don't count either.

Bank is an awful lot worse, because in the peak they actually make you
walk further deliberately to avoid congestion in certain parts of the
station. There are good reasons for this, but it doesn't make the
station a good choice for anyone of limited mobility.

The walk at green park between the piccadilly and jubilee lines seems to
me unnecessarily long. I can't believe that they couldn't have built the
lines closer together.

--
Spud

Old March 3rd 16, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:18:22 +0000
On 2016-03-03 06:33:49 +0000, Mike Bristow said:

There is, perhaps, an interesting debate to be had about how close
two platforms can be to count as an interchange; my suspicion is
that Forest Gate / Wanstead Park are close enough for any sensible
gap - if they're not, then interchanges between the Central Line
and Northern at Bank probably don't count either.

Bank is an awful lot worse, because in the peak they actually make you
walk further deliberately to avoid congestion in certain parts of the
station. There are good reasons for this, but it doesn't make the
station a good choice for anyone of limited mobility.

The walk at green park between the piccadilly and jubilee lines seems to
me unnecessarily long. I can't believe that they couldn't have built the
lines closer together.

I think they wanted the Victoria and Jubilee line platform tunnels to
be under the park, rather than the expensive Mayfair buildings. It
made building the station much easier and cheaper, and minimised the
risk of damage to the buildings, such as the May Fair hotel.

That meant they had to be south of the station building, while the
Picc platforms are well to the east (because they originally served
the former Dover St station to the east). If you make sure you're at
the western end of a Picc train, it's quicker to take the escalator up
to the ticket hall, then take the Victoria line escalator back down.
Old March 3rd 16, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:37:56 on
Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Recliner remarked:
People also complain about the earlier Victoria-Picc connection. There
must be something in the way to stop it dropping down halfway along.

http://husk.org/www.geocities.com/at.../ltgreenpk.gif

I think the 'thing' is the expensive buildings north of Piccadilly.
It's much easier, cheaper and safer to build station tunnels under a
(literally) green park than large buildings.

The Piccadilly Line platforms will be under the road, so the "thing" is
also under the road, towards the western end of the platforms.
Old March 3rd 16, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 14:12:55 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:37:56 on
Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Recliner remarked:
People also complain about the earlier Victoria-Picc connection. There
must be something in the way to stop it dropping down halfway along.

http://husk.org/www.geocities.com/at.../ltgreenpk.gif

I think the 'thing' is the expensive buildings north of Piccadilly.
It's much easier, cheaper and safer to build station tunnels under a
(literally) green park than large buildings.

The Piccadilly Line platforms will be under the road, so the "thing" is
also under the road, towards the western end of the platforms.

No, the issue is that the current station building is linked by single
long escalators to Piccadilly line platforms that used to be under a
different surface building directly above the line, linked by lifts.
So the Picc platforms are under the road, but well to the east of the
current station building.

The Victoria line came next, at approximately right angles to the
east-west Piccadilly line, and the platforms were placed just south of
the road, for ease of construction. The escalators link to the
platforms about a third of the way along (which is better than
connecting to the extreme ends of the platforms, which is what happens
with the Piccadilly line).

The subsequent Jubilee line platforms are below and just to the east
of the Victoria platforms. Of course, if they'd known then about the
later change of route, with the new line not needing to swing so far
east, the Jubilee line might have had a very different configuration
at Green Park, with the platforms parallel to the Victoria line. They
might even have delivered cross-platform interchange with the Victoria
line, as at, say Baker Street.

But the Picc platforms are so far to the east of the station, that
there's no good way of connecting new north-south platforms to both
the station building and the Piccadilly platforms to the east. But
they could nevertheless have started the passage between them further
to the western end of the Piccadilly line platforms.