Old December 31st 07, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Forest Gate/Wanstead Park interchange?

It's just been pointed out to me on Wikipedia that the National Rail
Timetable (page 46) lists Forest Gate - Wanstead Park as a "useful
transfer":

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...nformation.pdf

It's also reportedly in the Online Journey Planner. But this is the first
I've heard of this and to my knowledge none of the brand new Overground line
maps and signs are mentioning it - is this a valid interchange on a through
ticket or not?

Old December 31st 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Dec, 01:20, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:
But this is the first
I've heard of this and to my knowledge none of the brand new Overground line
maps and signs are mentioning it - is this a valid interchange on a through
ticket or not?

National Rail ticket rules attempt to nail down the exact routes you
can take, so the general concept of a valid interchange is moot. The
relevant part of the Conditions of Carriage:

"You may travel between the stations shown on the ticket you hold in:
(i) a through train;
(ii) trains which take the shortest route which can be used by
scheduled passenger services; or
(iii) trains which take the routes shown in the National Routeing
Guide (details as to how you can obtain this information will be
available when you buy your ticket). "

(i) obviously doesn't apply. (ii) is a conundrum, as the rules for
calculating the shortest route aren't set out anywhere. I'd assume
you're meant to use reasonable out-of-station interchanges when
finding the shortest route, which makes interchange here valid (if not
required) on at least some journeys.

Finally (iii). Routes permitted by the NRG vary depending on which
pair of stations are on your ticket. But looking at various
combinations it doesn't appear anywhere. Barking-Upminster-Romford,
Barking-Stratford and Barking-Fenchurch Street-tube-Liverpool Street
are there on most journeys, and Barking-Southend-Romford is apparently
allowed on a few.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old December 31st 07, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...c07/Commercial...

It's also reportedly in the Online Journey Planner. But this is the first
I've heard of this and to my knowledge none of the brand new Overground line
maps and signs are mentioning it - is this a valid interchange on a through
ticket or not?

It's just dawned on me that if a ticket allows a route like
Walthamstow-Barking-Stratford-Romford that passes through both
stations, then interchange must be allowed because there's nothing
forbidding you skipping part of the journey (even Break of Journey
rules don't apply when it's for interchange). So you can change trains
wherever you bloody like.