Old March 4th 16, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Forest Gategate

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 17:19:14 on Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I think they re-used the platform exists, stairs, and over-tunnel
passageway, but linked that to the new corridor to the south of the
running tunnels, rather than the 1906 lift landing to the north.

Yes, that's what happened, but *why*.

Cheaper and easier? Less disruption to the Piccadilly line? And not a
downside for pax near the eastern end of trains. Those at the western end
can use the escalator route.

A bit of an unhappy compromise, with hindsight.

Does the signage at the western end of the Piccadilly platforms point to
the escalators, or back to the passage, for connections with the other
two lines?

Incidentally I'm still coming up empty trying to find a picture of the
original (pre 1933) Dover Street station exterior. Presumably above the
"Dover Street Shaft".

Yes, me too. I guess it must have been redeveloped a long time ago.

Yes, but what I meant was a pre-1933 photo of the pre-1933 station. That
would at least perhaps confirm where on Dover St it was (I've also yet
to find an old map indicating that).
Old March 8th 16, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 18:16:31 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 17:19:14 on Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I think they re-used the platform exists, stairs, and over-tunnel
passageway, but linked that to the new corridor to the south of the
running tunnels, rather than the 1906 lift landing to the north.

Yes, that's what happened, but *why*.

Cheaper and easier? Less disruption to the Piccadilly line? And not a
downside for pax near the eastern end of trains. Those at the western end
can use the escalator route.

A bit of an unhappy compromise, with hindsight.

Does the signage at the western end of the Piccadilly platforms point to
the escalators, or back to the passage, for connections with the other
two lines?

I went through Green Park today and took this picture that shows that,
right from the western end of the Piccadilly platforms, the
interchange signs points to the corridor connection, not the
escalator:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...blic/lightbox/

However, for the first time in ages, I took the corridor walk, and it
was shorter than I remembered: only a 2-3 minutes, walking at a normal
pace. The exit for the Victoria line actually isn't far at all from
the western end of the platforms (it's the Jubilee line that's further
along). Once you've studied the station layout, you can see that
you're then just walking parallel to the western end Piccadilly
platform, but a flight of stairs higher (as the route from the
eastbound platform has to cross over the westbound platform tunnel)
till you're under the ticket hall (where there's the lift), then more
stairs up to the Victoria line. So, yes, you do have two sets of
steps, first up to the corridor, and then up to the Victoria line
(which runs over the Piccadilly line), but the actual walk is very
short.
Old March 8th 16, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 14:05:46 +0000
Recliner wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...public/lightbo

Looks like you caught your MI5 tail in the act.

On a related note, how come the bakerloo line at piccadilly circus is so
tortuously curved? It seems to curve left just before the platform then a
sharp right curve in the platform then another left curve upon leaving it.
Whats it avoiding?

--
Spud

Old March 8th 16, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...public/lightbo

Looks like you caught your MI5 tail in the act.

No, she was hiding much more successfully behind me.

Old March 8th 16, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:05:46 on
Tue, 8 Mar 2016, Recliner remarked:

I went through Green Park today

So did I, but was in a rush, and couldn't do a survey.