Old March 2nd 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Night tube on the cards again

Everyone in NYC knows the subway always runs, so I expect the way
people use it is different from cities where late night service is a
recent or sometime thing.

Is it safe in all parts of the network at 3am?

As safe as it is at other times of the day. By European standards NYC
is somewhat dangerous because we have so many guns floating around
(although nothing like Florida or Texas), but by US standards it's
quite safe.

I have read that in general subway stations are safer than the street
above or below.

Old March 2nd 16, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Levine wrote:
Everyone in NYC knows the subway always runs, so I expect the way
people use it is different from cities where late night service is a
recent or sometime thing.

Is it safe in all parts of the network at 3am?

As safe as it is at other times of the day. By European standards NYC
is somewhat dangerous because we have so many guns floating around
(although nothing like Florida or Texas), but by US standards it's
quite safe.

I have read that in general subway stations are safer than the street
above or below.

Do they have CCTV cameras everywhere like in London? I suspect that there
are few parts of LU stations not covered.

Old March 3rd 16, 03:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I have read that in general subway stations are safer than the street
above or below.

Do they have CCTV cameras everywhere like in London? I suspect that there
are few parts of LU stations not covered.

Some, but the US is nowhere near as CCTV crazed as the UK. I hear
that CCTV turns out to be useless for preventing crime, marginally
useful for figuring out later who did it.

Old March 3rd 16, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-03-02 18:29:24 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

In London those lower paid people simply cannot afford to use the tube
- especially in the central area. They are therefore reliant on
effective night bus and early morning service on regular routes to get
them to / from their jobs.

And that, to me, means the fares system is fundamentally broken,
causing an absolutely pointless duplication of provision.

I don't see the night tube being a "game
changer" for them - except if TfL decide to greatly reduce or remove
any parallel night bus routes. That's not *yet* on the cards but may
emerge at some point once usage patterns have stabilised.

I would rather hope it is - running half-empty night buses parallel to
the Tube is an utter waste of money. And if it turns out they are not
empty and the Tube is, that's a waste of money. There is absolutely no
sense in any duplication at all at times of day when the Tube network
is not going to be overcongested. It would simply be a waste of money.

Night buses could simply connect people to the Tube on the evenings it runs.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old March 7th 16, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 03:26:31 +0000 (UTC), John Levine
wrote:

Hi from New York, where the unde, excuse me, subway has run 24/7 since
1904. Some services stop running after midnight, but every station
has service all night, most with 3tph or better.

How is maintenance handled? I know many sections have more than two
tracks, but surely not all of the network? Is the frequency low enough
to allow single track running?

--
jhk