Old April 23rd 16, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default The Bletchley Fly-over

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:06:13 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

e27002 aurora Wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:32:36 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

I'm re-reading G. F. Fiennes autobiography "I Tried To Run
A Railway" and came across his assertion that the Bletchley
fly-over was a monument to those who did not recognise that
the railway should concentrate on a few main routes and
abandon routes which were not self-financing.

Mega snipping.

We see here a new, 21st century Metro-Land if you will.
No doubt some will say this cannot be done, it will lose money, etc.
This development would probably give more utility and be much less of
a drain on resource than some Beeching survivors like the Cambrian
Coast route. It would do as well as any other Home Counties commuter
route. Moreover it brings Buckingham and Brackley back into the
railway fold.

I don't say it cannot be done but I do say it would lose money.
It most certainly would not do as well as most other Home Counties
commuter routes because at present South Buckinghamshire does
not have the population.

Brackley has a population of 13.5 thousand. A thousand new quality
homes of vary size would yield an increase of say 3 thousand for a
total of 16,500. Buckingham has a population of 12 thousand. Again
an increase of 100 homes, thee thousand souls is not unrealistic. This
is a combined population of over 30,000. Linking this area to London,
Harrow, Amersham, and Aylesbury from the south, and Banbury,
Leamington, Warwick, Solihull to the north would seem worthwhile.

Winslow is a small town,

But, Winslow could accommodate some more quality housing.

Verney Junction
no more than a hamlet.

Mr Clegg, former leader of the Liberal Democrat party, has suggested
new towns be added along the new East West rail route. I agree with
this. It would take some London overspill. Moreover the new towns
would have direct rail links with each other. A village of 1,000
homes around Verney Junction would not be an unreasonable contribution
to the housing shortage.

Only if we go back to pre-Thatcher social
planning and move large numbers of Londoners out to this particular
area - extremely unlikely - will these small towns generate enough
business to justify the kind of investment you are suggesting.

IMHO a government role in planning and zoning is essential. Who else
is going to do it?

The London population explosion is reaching breaking point. It is
only a matter of time before a politician urges lifting of the green
belt restrictions. If such counsel is followed, within decades an
urban sprawl will spread around today's London.

Having lived in a mega-conurbation, Los Angeles, with its attendant
congestion, and serious social problems, I cannot urge taking another
course in strong enough terms. We owe future generations better.

Many thanks, though, for the historical background.

You are really very welcome. The area is close to my heart. I grew
near Aylesbury.