Old April 22nd 16, 05:31 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jolly[_2_] View Post
On Thursday, 21 April 2016 13:23:07 UTC+1, Tim B wrote:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first train?

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be any sign of ticket barriers going in at the new Lea Bridge station. There doesn't seem to be any form of building shelter to accommodate them.

Trust me, as a local to Waltham Forest, give the local population scum an open station and they'll milk it for all its' worth...

---
Schnuzelbug

(Waltham Forest resident who thinks the borough's an absolute ********)
I don't think the borough's an absolute anything but I do
think some members of the Council have been doing huge
damage to the area. One in particular is a sociopath and enjoys
annoying people.

In some respects Waltham Forest is quite good. The refuse
collection system is now better than in many other boroughs.
Old April 22nd 16, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lea Bridge station opening 15th May 2016

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 18:12:56 UTC+1, Christopher Jolly wrote:
On Thursday, 21 April 2016 13:23:07 UTC+1, Tim B wrote:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first train?

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be any sign of ticket barriers going in at the new Lea Bridge station. There doesn't seem to be any form of building shelter to accommodate them.

Trust me, as a local to Waltham Forest, give the local population scum an open station and they'll milk it for all its' worth...

---
Schnuzelbug

(Waltham Forest resident who thinks the borough's an absolute ********)

Unless plans have changed since the station was approved it will be unstaffed, and therefore could not have gates.
Old April 24th 16, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:12:55 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Jolly
wrote:

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 13:23:07 UTC+1, Tim B wrote:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the
first train?

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be any sign of ticket barriers
going in at the new Lea Bridge station. There doesn't seem to be any
form of building shelter to accommodate them.

It's a Greater Anglia run station and will be unstaffed AFAIK. That
was the basis it was approved but I don't know if lift equipped
stations can always be unstaffed. I assume any alarm from the lifts
will go to a control point with AGA personnel.

Trust me, as a local to Waltham Forest, give the local population
scum an open station and they'll milk it for all its' worth...

Well cheers for branding the residents of WF as scum. Nice to know
you think we're all like that.

I doubt fare dodgers will be hugely attracted by a basic half hourly
service. They won't be able to get too far - can't get out or to the
tube at T Hale. Can't get out at Stratford but could interchange to
other routes many of which have gated stations. Ticket gates are not a
panacea anyway - they have to be operated properly throughout the day,
every day or else they're a waste of time. Far too many TOC stations
with such poor hours of gate operation I don't know why the money was
spent putting them in.

Especially at King's Cross. Now used it four times on Wednesday and today
this week. Open every time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 24th 16, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 21 April 2016 21:37:00 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:
Tim B;155069 Wrote:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first
train?

I live in Leyton and by an amazing coincidence, I'm taking
that week off work. I'll give my Freedom Pass a few runs on
the service. (I still think the station is going to be a white
elephant)

--
Robin9

Why?

It's hardly surprising that it was little used when last open, but that wasn't because the Station was in a useless location, but because it had lost most of the route which it served. Seven Sisters to Palace Gates closed in 1963, and Stratford to North Woolwich diverted to join the North London Line when Broad Street closed. The handful of peak hour shuttles from Stratford to Tottenham Hale weren't terribly useful, and the Cravens 105 units were pretty horrible.

Stratford has been totally transformed in the last 30 odd years since Lea Bridge closed, the service will run North of Tottenham Hale, though I'm not sure exactly where to. The station is on a major road, served by several bus routes, and is in an area served by major sports and leisure facilities.

Old April 24th 16, 05:39 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Tim B;155069 Wrote:
[...]

The station is in "a useless location" and does not provide
a service into central London.

Except at stations where one can change trains, very
few passengers use stations which do not provide a service
into central London. Compare the vast numbers of people
using Leyton Underground with those using Leyton Midland.
Compare the number using Walthamstow Queens Road with
those using the three Walthamstow stations on the Liverpool
Street Line. Compare Woodgrange Road with Forest Gate.

What is the catchment area for Lea Bridge Station? Walthamstow
Marshes, where no-one lives; Leyton Marshes, where no-one lives;
the Argall Avenue, Staffa Road industrial estates where no-one
lives.

I'm sure a few people will use the station, but not nearly enough
to justify the expense of re-building it. I'm also sure that those
railway enthusiasts who are determined to forget the lessons
learned in the 1950s and 1960s will insist that the station is a
great success no matter how few people use it.

The central truth is that railways are a bulk transport carrier
with very high operating costs which need to be kept as low as
possible. Reducing a rail service to no more than a bus service
on rails does not help keep costs under control.

Last edited by Robin9 : April 24th 16 at 05:44 PM
Old April 30th 16, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\04\21 14:20, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
05:23:05 on Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Tim B
.uk remarked:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first train?

2018 (the time, not the year!)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...05/15/0000-235
9?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Presumably it's bustituted earlier in the day.

Argall Way is a clearway... I wonder if they will change this when the
station opens, or will no car be able to stop by the station?
Old April 30th 16, 02:54 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_4_] View Post
On 2016\04\21 14:20, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
05:23:05 on Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Tim B

.uk remarked:
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first train?

2018 (the time, not the year!)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...05/15/0000-235
9?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Presumably it's bustituted earlier in the day.

Argall Way is a clearway... I wonder if they will change this when the
station opens, or will no car be able to stop by the station?
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Old May 16th 16, 01:22 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
Lea Bridge apparently opening on Sunday 15th May 2016. When's the first train?
I used this station this morning. There was a carnival
atmosphere with a five piece jazz band, several photographers,
a cluster of small children on cheer leader duties - why weren't
they at school? - half a dozen security guards giving out wrong
information, myriad well-dressed types being interviewed and
photographed, waitresses handing out refreshments and even
a few passengers. I was one of the latter. I wasn't interviewed
or photographed!

Contrary to what a security guard told me, the open-access
entrance is in Argall Way and leads onto the platform for trains
to Stratford. The original entrance in Lea Bridge Road is boarded
up, and there was no poster saying this is just a temporary
arrangement. There is no provision for bus passengers except
for bus stops in Lea Bridge Road. There is a covered cycle stand.
Oh yes, a lovely touch: to protect the assembled notables, the
cycle lane was closed! The platforms are quite long and will be
able to take 8 car trains, perhaps more.

I took the 11.00 train to Stratford which arrived two minutes late.
I think about ten other passengers boarded the train. There were
five passengers on the other platform. Our train made reasonable
progress until making the regulation stop outside Stratford, before
dawdling into the vacated platform. If this service is to lure
Stratford-bound Leyton residents away from the Underground,
something will have to be done about this delay which I've
experienced every time I've travelled this route.

Returning, I went through to Tottenham Hale on a Bishops Stortford
train. About six passengers joined the train at Lea Bridge, and off
we went, only to stop a few hundred yards later and wait five
minutes. I've always experienced this delay too. At Tottenham Hale,
our platform had no signs or notices mentioning the Victoria Line
which I find astonishing.

Last week the Standard carried an article about the station and
claimed Waltham Forest Council had contributed £ 5 million to the
cost of re-building the station. As always with tax payer funded
projects, one has to ask how it could possibly have cost so much.
Old May 16th 16, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2016\05\16 16:20, Paul Corfield wrote:

The station has cost something like £11-12m.

What a phenomenal amount, when it looks like the old platforms were
resurfaced.

Mitcham Eastfields was built with brand new 170m platforms for 6 million
in 2008, although I don't know if that sum includes the realignment of
Grove Road which took place a few years earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Br...ailway_station suggests that
the station was planned to cost 6.5 million in 2013... that frog boiled
so fast I'm surprised it didn't jump.