Old May 5th 16, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow runway will create £16bn

In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message

-septembe
r.org, at 00:27:53 on Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I don't think the runway has moved much - the eastern end is
stubbornly just west of the M4 spur. Apart from moving the terminal
from near that spur to west of T5, the plan which may be the latest
one doesn't require the M25/M4 junction to be rebuilt - which may or
may not be part of the OP's £16bn.

It is further to the west. See chapters 7 and 8 in this, which I think
is the latest, document which describes the plan the Airports
Commission prefers:

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...ewsandinformat
ion/taking_britain_further.pdf

It would appear that I had latched onto a plan with the Northwest
runway in that same place, but the terminal at Sipson. Must have
been an intermediate idea.

the West terminal station(s) will have two more platforms. I see they
envisage the western/southern rail links having a combined 10 (4+6) tph
by 2040.

Two more than 2 plus 2 plus secret-two?

It's a bit vague on whether the western/southern links are
standalone, or though trains with double-counting of most of the
HEx/Crossrail ones. Although a train arriving from London and
departing to Reading could in some sense be called
two-destinations-per-hour.

I read it to mean four through tph on the existing HEx platforms, running
to the northwest (Reading, etc), plus six tph terminators from the
southwest on the hidden pair.

I went along yesterday to do some track-bashing under Heathrow and will
post some pics later today.

I'm puzzled how they have a direct rail link to Sheffield (and only
Sheffield) on p35.

All the long distance stuff looks no more than speculation, as it's really
nothing to do with HAL Ltd. Once the connections are in, it's up to the
TOCs and the DfT how they're used.

Unless it was a pretty lame attempt to get support from the last Deputy
Prime Minister, I suspect they meant Shenfield.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old May 5th 16, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
-septembe
r.org, (Recliner) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message

-septembe
r.org, at 00:27:53 on Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I don't think the runway has moved much - the eastern end is
stubbornly just west of the M4 spur. Apart from moving the terminal
from near that spur to west of T5, the plan which may be the latest
one doesn't require the M25/M4 junction to be rebuilt - which may or
may not be part of the OP's ï½£16bn.

[...]

Nice theory, but look at the map and table on pages 35 and 36.

Old May 5th 16, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:06:29 on
Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner remarked:
I'm very used to people mixing up Brentwood and Brentford, but it
doesn't happen with Shenfield very often. And many of the Crossrails go
there anyway, shirely?

The funny thing is that I think most (or all?) of the Heathrow Lizzy
trains will actually go to Abbey Wood, so pax for Shenfield may also
need to change trains (same platform, of course), just as those for
Sheffield will have to do

Except it doesn't currently take 3hrs 32min to get from Heathrow to
Shenfield, even you do a couple of trips round the circle while getting
from Paddington to Liverpool St.

FWIW TfL's journey planner says it's currently 1hr 23min Heathrow to
Shenfield and 3hrs +/- 10 mins to Sheffield.

Old May 6th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 May 2016 14:23:35 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:06:29 on
Thu, 5 May 2016, Recliner remarked:
I'm very used to people mixing up Brentwood and Brentford, but it
doesn't happen with Shenfield very often. And many of the Crossrails go
there anyway, shirely?

The funny thing is that I think most (or all?) of the Heathrow Lizzy
trains will actually go to Abbey Wood, so pax for Shenfield may also
need to change trains (same platform, of course), just as those for
Sheffield will have to do

Except it doesn't currently take 3hrs 32min to get from Heathrow to
Shenfield, even you do a couple of trips round the circle while getting
from Paddington to Liverpool St.

FWIW TfL's journey planner says it's currently 1hr 23min Heathrow to
Shenfield and 3hrs +/- 10 mins to Sheffield.

What I meant was is that the table does refer to Sheffield, but some
junior who was editing it afterwards, thought that they'd been clever
in spotting that Crossrail will be going directly to Shenfield, didn't
realise that it wasn't the same place as Sheffield, and changed the
table to show 0 changes.