Old May 11th 16, 02:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mayor Sadiq

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Wed, 11 May 2016 11:53:49 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Will this do?

Quote:
Speaking about the launch of the new fare, London’s Transport
Commissioner, Mike Brown, said: “This new option will benefit a huge
number of our passengers. For many people catching more than one bus
is the only way they can get from A to B. This fare will enable us to
better meet the needs of those Londoners who live or work in areas
which aren’t as well served by Tube or rail services.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ngdom/england/
london/articles/tfls-london-bus-hopper-fare-to-commence-in-september/

Caroline Pigeon and the London Lib Dems have been banging on about this for
a decade so there would have been reasons to look at feasibility for some
time now.

The difference being, of course, that there was no chance of a LD mayor, so
TfL didn't need to pay much attention. Only once one of the two leading
candidates adopted the policy did TfL need to think about how to implement
it.

And, in this case, Sadiq had been the firm favourite to win for the whole
campaign, and this was one of his key promises, so TfL could earn some
brownie points by giving him a quick win. Sadiq's clearly not a fan of TfL,
so they needed to get started early on his pet projects.

One advantage of this change is that it will allow considerable route
simplification if TfL wants it. Routes are partly based on avoiding
passengers changing buses and this will become less of a consideration (but
not none at all) in future.

Good point. I wonder if TfL will take advantage of this new flexibility?

Old May 11th 16, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:32:49AM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

The 1 hour Hopper ticket launches in September.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/st...59297308823552

As I expected TfL have obviously been working away in the background
so there's a quick win delivery of part of the manifesto.

I'll believe it when TfL say it. It's far too common for a reporter to
misunderstand something and report a great deal more than the facts.

Of course, if it does happen as reported, then TfL must have been
working on it before Khan's election, which means that this is something
that Johnson can take the credit for :-)

It wouldn't even be TfL working on it - it'll be Cubic or whoever their
supplier is these days and seems to me its a pretty simple update to the
bus card readers. If time now - last time card used 1 hour then don't
charge. I'd be amazed if its more than a couple of lines of code.

No idea why it will take september to roll it out - is updating the reader
software an involved task that requires buses being out of service for a
long
period?

A bigger problem is that controlling such an update is (relatively)
expensive

you don't do it for one piddly little feature change, you schedule them for
once a year (or so) and add a dozen other new features at the same time

tim