Old May 16th 16, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Converting Railways To Roads

In message , at 11:15:08 on Mon, 16 May
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:
[1] Which as far as I can see go largely un-used, so it's a waste.

That's a very stupid remark. That cycleways are well used is obvious if
you look at the proportion of cycle commuters to Cambridge, by far the
highest in the UK.

Cambridgeshire is bigger than Cambridge. The county has built a
cycleway along Witcham Toll, and I don't think I've seen a cyclist on
that road or cycleway, ever. (Other than those Sundays they do time
trials, which is a whole different can of worms).

Whatever you see about Witcham Toll of which I know nothing

It's the A142, which you've been known to bang on about. It facilitates
a seven mile commute for its users, which I suspect is much further than
most cyclists pedal to work.

you are overlooking that Cambridgeshire as a whole has cycling to work
levels higher than most of the country.

Which is orthogonal to how many cycleways - especially those on rural
routes - contribute to that statistic.

And irrelevant to either the title of this thread, or the newsgroup in
which it is being discussed!

Not really, because the cycleway alongside the Cambridge misguided bus
track was one of the major selling points for that bit of converting a
railway to a "road".
Old May 16th 16, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/05/2016 12:06, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

And this bus track is in the London area? If it's the guided bus way up
to St Ives, having attempted to do a pub crawl along it, I would suggest
not as there would have been more pubs in London...
Old May 16th 16, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:32:02 on Mon, 16 May
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:
you are overlooking that Cambridgeshire as a whole has cycling to work
levels higher than most of the country.

Which is orthogonal to how many cycleways - especially those on rural
routes - contribute to that statistic.

And irrelevant to either the title of this thread, or the newsgroup in
which it is being discussed!

Not really, because the cycleway alongside the Cambridge misguided bus
track was one of the major selling points for that bit of converting a
railway to a "road".

And this bus track is in the London area?

It's within the physical envelope (if not the charging scheme) of NSE,
if you want to invoke extreme pedantry.

Old May 16th 16, 10:28 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone Somewhere View Post
[...]

Don't be such a spoil sport! Discussion threads should be
allowed to wander freely as long as the participants have
interesting points to make!