Old May 14th 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures

On Sat, 14 May 2016 13:09:28 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

I've had no problems traveling on the Victoria and Picadilly plus a
bus with two suitcases, a large shoulder bag and a backpack.

--
jhk

Old May 14th 16, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2016 14:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:02:01 on Sat, 14 May
2016, tim... remarked:
The TfL site is astonishingly opaque regarding what cars are allowed
or not. They can't even be bothered to install a query based on
numberplate.

It appears to say that Euro 6 diesel cars must be less than 5years
old, but doesn't mention any of the former Euro ratings.

NO

What it is saying is that vehicles of this age are guaranteed to be
Euro 6 compliant (because that is the date that manufactures were
required to meet E6).

Older vehicles may be compliant if their particular model met Euro 6
standards before the required date.

Euro 5(D) cars will never be compliant whatever their age

Like I said, astonishingly opaque. My V5 doesn't say what Euro-foo the
car is, and TfL can't be bothered to help. Wonkypedia doesn't say
either. After a lot of digging it appears to be Euro 4 (diesel).

They do say - they say if it isn't on your V5 then you need to take the
year of manufacture into account and gives the relevant years for the
relevant cars.

It says that some vehicles may have been early adopters of the standard
too, which is the only level of opaqueness really.
Old May 14th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:17:06 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge.

Even on Sundays when the congestion charge doesn't apply?

The aim isn't to ban dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older
vehicles into replacing them.

But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further encourage this
switch.

Euro n-1 hopefully. Diesels are still on track to save the planet from
peak oil.
Old May 14th 16, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:26:08 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Jarle Hammen Knudsen remarked:
Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

I've had no problems traveling on the Victoria and Picadilly plus a
bus with two suitcases, a large shoulder bag and a backpack.

That's about a third of what's required.
Old May 14th 16, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:36:49 on Sat, 14 May
2016, Someone Somewhere remarked:
[...]

No, because they don't have a way for me to discover what Euro-foo my
vehicle is, and even when I jump through numerous external hoops, fail
to say what the implications are.

If the answer is "not allowed inside the North Circular" the least they
can do is tell me. But how will they police it - congestion zone cameras
twice as far out as now - sounds like a trojan horse for congestion
charges inside the "circulars".

Old May 14th 16, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:14:46 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

It appears to say that Euro 6 diesel cars must be less than 5years old,
but doesn't mention any of the former Euro ratings.

They won't be allowed in free at all. What they mean is that when the
rule comes in, only diesels under five years old will be given free
admission, and that was when the Euro 6 standard became mandatory.

Are they getting a kick-back from manufacturers of compliant cars?
Old May 14th 16, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:17:06 on
Sat, 14 May 2016, Recliner remarked:

A lot of quite new diesels will suffer a big fall in resale value if
they're effectively no longer usable in London.

A windfall for those of us outside London.

The only times I drive inside the North Circular is when playing
Taxi-Dad for my daughter who is coming to the end of her studies at UCL
in a couple of weeks.

Will TfL in future be providing tube trains with enough luggage space
for the likes of her to termly-commute into Z2 where most of her fellow
students live, from some kiss-and-ride railhead outside the North
Circular?

No, you'll still be welcome to drive into the zone, but will have to
pay up, just as you would to cross a toll bridge.

Even on Sundays when the congestion charge doesn't apply?

Yes, 24 hours a day.

The aim isn't to ban dirty vehicles (yet), but to nudge owners of older
vehicles into replacing them.

But my current vehicle is precisely one that legislation, rather than
engineering, decreed I should buy when the previous one hit various
artificial limits.

Yup. We're now much more aware of the non-CO2 pollution from diesels.

There's talk of a diesel scrappage scheme to further encourage this
switch.

Euro n-1 hopefully. Diesels are still on track to save the planet from
peak oil.

Peak oil? That's a quaint old notion. We'll all be using electric or
hydrogen powered vehicles for clean air/global warming reasons long before
peak oil.

Old May 14th 16, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Allowed inside the North Circular, but you will have to pay the charge.

Old May 14th 16, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-05-14 15:54:34 +0000, Recliner said:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

What if you live in the zone - I presume you can't even drive out of it
without paying...

Old May 14th 16, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-05-14 15:54:34 +0000, Recliner said:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It's just a consultation at the moment, isn't it? That's bound to be one
of the big questions to be settled.

It was less of an issue when only the CC zone was affected, with relatively
few residents, but with a much expanded zone, it's an important issue that
will affect many thousands of people. There may have to be some sort of
temporary grandfather rights if you register an older car in advance.