Old May 15th 16, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Train Company Free Wifi Services

Has anyone had any success with the various wifi services on trains?

Recently I tried on GW and SWT local services.

At Paddington I was on a local - it had stickers which said that there was free wifi. I booted the laptop, and searched for wifi services. There was one labelled GreatWestern (or something), I connected to that.

Then I tried to access BBC.co.uk but this was reported as unavailable or rather the DNS was. Usually this attempt should have thrown up a GWR splash screen. Then I tried GWR.com This went to another login website which did throw up a splash screen inviting me to set up an account. I entered suitable details. Then clicked on Submit. I got disconnected. I tried again, and the connection went through, and apparently an account was created. I then tried logging in, but the response was to send me to GWR.com - which was unavailable due to the DNS not being found. I gave up.

On SWT the wifi connection flew - faster than Pret or McDonalds etc. - and I quickly created an account OK. I then logged in and decided to try BBC.co..uk This failed as the DNS was not being available. I then tried SWT.com and indeed it connected and went to a website to try and sell me tickets. Ah - but I was already on the train and din't want to buy tickets. But the selling site did work and it even searched for prices for a notional journey.

But when I tried normal websites like BBC.co.uk and even Google.com all were unavailable due to missing DNS.

So whilst all connections could be made, and indeed accounts could be created, the services failed to actually connect to any real websites.

One word of warning - whenever trying to make a connection to a wifi service - or even connect with a mobile/ dongle - its best to be in a station. It seems that whilst on the move initiating a connection usually fails.

BTW I'm glad they don't make a charge for these services since they are so unreliable.

CJB.

Old May 15th 16, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15.05.16 15:46, CJB wrote:
[...]

I wonder if any TOCs would ever mount a camera on the front of their
train to allow for live streaming.

Old May 15th 16, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/05/2016 15:57, wrote:
snip

I wonder if any TOCs would ever mount a camera on the front of their
train to allow for live streaming.

Would the RMT wear it? Thin end of the wedge, start of a slippery slope
etc etc.
--
Robin
Old May 15th 16, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 15.05.16 16:38, Robin wrote:
On 15/05/2016 15:57, wrote:
snip

I wonder if any TOCs would ever mount a camera on the front of their
train to allow for live streaming.

Would the RMT wear it? Thin end of the wedge, start of a slippery slope
etc etc.

Aeroplanes?

Some ships have them.

Old May 15th 16, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And ... separately, I was in Bournemouth (a University town) about 3 years ago and all the buses had wifi.