Old May 21st 16, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 08.08 To Willesden Junction

On 21.05.16 8:32, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\05\20 20:26, Robin9 wrote:

The latest ideas for Crossrail 2 do not suggest connections with
North London's orbital rail services; such is the expertise of the
"experts."

Is Dalston off CR2 now?

No, it's still shown in the core section. Dalston is intended as a
double-ended station (Dalston Junction-Dalston Kingsland), so it will
connect with both the Stratford and the ELL LO services. That looks like a
pretty god connection with "North London's orbital rail services", so the
experts do seem to know their stuff.

It will also connect with the LO orbital routes at Clapham Junction,
providing a much shorter, quicker link to Dalston than the existing orbital
LO service. There is also a possible spur to Hackney Central.

http://crossrail2.co.uk/the-route/

So, would that allow a direct connection between Dalston-Kingsland and
Dalston Junction, rather than an OSI?

Or would all three stations be combined into one complex called Dalston?

Old May 21st 16, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\05\21 11:41, Recliner wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:43:45 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2016\05\21 09:42, Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

'Basil Jet[_4_ Wrote:
;155857']On 2016\05\20 20:26, Robin9 wrote:-

The latest ideas for Crossrail 2 do not suggest connections with
North London's orbital rail services; such is the expertise of the
"experts."-

Is Dalston off CR2 now?

I'll have to check to be sure. I particularly remember the latest
iteration did not connect with GOBLIN.

Yes it does:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cro...uploads/s3.pdf

The Seven Sisters branch is looking like it might be "delayed", which we
all know means it might be cut completely.

Given that the plan is at a nascent stage, with several parts of the
route still being debated, and not even a vague schedule for any of
it, surely it's meaningless to talk about any part of it being
"delayed"?

Google...
crossrail new southgate delayed adonis

Old May 21st 16, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:

'Basil Jet[_4_ Wrote:
;155857']On 2016\05\20 20:26, Robin9 wrote:-

The latest ideas for Crossrail 2 do not suggest connections with
North London's orbital rail services; such is the expertise of the
"experts."-

Is Dalston off CR2 now?

I'll have to check to be sure. I particularly remember the latest
iteration did not connect with GOBLIN.

Yes it does:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cro...uploads/s3.pdf

The Seven Sisters branch is looking like it might be "delayed", which we
all know means it might be cut completely.

Given that the plan is at a nascent stage, with several parts of the
route still being debated, and not even a vague schedule for any of
it, surely it's meaningless to talk about any part of it being
"delayed"?

Google...
crossrail new southgate delayed adonis

"The National Infrastructure Commission released a report on Thursday in
which chairman Lord Adonis suggested ways to “reduce costs” for the
Crossrail 2 route.

The report mentioned delaying the proposed line to Wood Green and New
Southgate, which is expected to run from central London either through
Alexandra Palace Station and Turnpike Lane Station or Wood Green Station."

So it's just a suggestion designed to influence discussions about a
proposed future plan. And that's all CR2 is at this stage.
Old May 21st 16, 06:01 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I will now stop saying it.
Old May 22nd 16, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 19 May 2016 04:18:44 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

I've always thought the train service through Leyton
Midland runs at fifteen minute intervals and never goes
further than Barking at one end and Gospel Oak at the
other. I normally use the service only at off-peak periods.
Yesterday I travelled in the rush hour and just missed a
westbound train. I assumed I would have to wait another
fifteen minutes.

Instead I found another train announced: the 08.08 to
Willesden Junction. Clearly this train runs beyond Gospel Oak.
The train was quite full so an additional train is financially
justified. I didn't know spare train sets were available for
extra duties in the peak periods.

I got off at Blackhorse Road. I would have liked to have
stayed on to see how the train negotiated the Gospel Oak

It's only in service from Woodgrange Park and it passes Gospel Oak without
stopping. The latter is obvious really because the GOBLIN platform is a bay
and the other platforms are not on that route. It does call at stations from
Hampstead Heath to Willesden Junction though.

How easy would it be to convert the bay, at Gospel Oak, into a thru
platform? When electrification is complete a thru service could be
useful.

Old May 22nd 16, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 22/05/2016 11:46, e27002 aurora wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 04:18:44 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

[...]

There's physically space to convert it to a *through* platform. The
pointwork to the west may need altering to allow east bound trains to
access the platform.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 22nd 16, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message , at 12:34:19 on Sun, 22 May
2016, Graeme Wall remarked:
How easy would it be to convert the bay, at Gospel Oak, into a thru
platform? When electrification is complete a thru service could be
useful.

There's physically space to convert it to a *through* platform. The
pointwork to the west may need altering to allow east bound trains to
access the platform.

Which means the signalling needs to be changed, and in the current
environment (with ever more safety measures fighting against ever more
remote signallers) it appears that changing the signalling costs Network
Rail orders of magnitude more money than changing the pointwork.
Old May 22nd 16, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2016\05\22 12:34, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 22/05/2016 11:46, e27002 aurora wrote:

How easy would it be to convert the bay, at Gospel Oak, into a thru
platform? When electrification is complete a thru service could be
useful.

There's physically space to convert it to a *through* platform. The
pointwork to the west may need altering to allow east bound trains to
access the platform.

Just the one through platform for both directions? (Yes, I know Ware
Station is like that.)

Are there paths for the full Goblin service to extend westward? Is there
need for that many trains westward? Although it would be "neat" if the
full Goblin service went to Clapham Junction and the full Stratford
service went to Richmond.
Old May 22nd 16, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 22/05/2016 12:40, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:34:19 on Sun, 22 May
2016, Graeme Wall remarked:
How easy would it be to convert the bay, at Gospel Oak, into a thru
platform? When electrification is complete a thru service could be
useful.

There's physically space to convert it to a *through* platform. The
pointwork to the west may need altering to allow east bound trains to
access the platform.

Which means the signalling needs to be changed, and in the current
environment (with ever more safety measures fighting against ever more
remote signallers) it appears that changing the signalling costs Network
Rail orders of magnitude more money than changing the pointwork.

Depends on whether they are going to have to upgrade the signalling
antway which would reduce the extra cost significantly. More of a
problem would be the extra moves across a flat junction interrupting the
existing services, plus whether there are the extra paths available west
of Gospel Oak for the trains.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old May 22nd 16, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\05\22 12:34, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 22/05/2016 11:46, e27002 aurora wrote:

How easy would it be to convert the bay, at Gospel Oak, into a thru
platform? When electrification is complete a thru service could be
useful.

There's physically space to convert it to a *through* platform. The
pointwork to the west may need altering to allow east bound trains to
access the platform.

Just the one through platform for both directions? (Yes, I know Ware
Station is like that.)

Are there paths for the full Goblin service to extend westward? Is there
need for that many trains westward? Although it would be "neat" if the
full Goblin service went to Clapham Junction and the full Stratford
service went to Richmond.

One minor point, but the new GOBLIN trains will be four-car Aventras,
rather than the five-car 378s used on the NLL. Wasting a scarce NLL path on
a four-car unit wouldn't go down well.