Old May 22nd 16, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which bus has the steepest climb?

A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

Old May 22nd 16, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/05/2016 13:43, Offramp wrote:
A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

As a first guess, route 210 from Finsbury Park to Whitestone Pomd on
Hampstead Heath, the latter being the highest point in London. Detailed
analysis may well produce another answer but finding the relavant data
is tedious! Also, routes extending outside the Boroughs may well go higher.

Peter Lawrence

---

Old May 22nd 16, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/05/2016 20:27, Peter Lawrence wrote:
On 22/05/2016 13:43, Offramp wrote:
A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up
and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

As a first guess, route 210 from Finsbury Park to Whitestone Pomd on
Hampstead Heath, the latter being the highest point in London. Detailed
analysis may well produce another answer but finding the relavant data
is tedious! Also, routes extending outside the Boroughs may well go
higher.

I am not sure if the question is about the highest (as per the text) or
steepest (as per title); or indeed about height change over the route.
But yes, if we can include routes extending beyond Greater London I
think the 246 easily beats the 210 on absolute height. It reaches
c.240m at the the border with Kent and a bit more as it goes on up
Westerham Hill.

--
Robin
Old May 22nd 16, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote on 22 May 2016 at 20:27 ...
On 22/05/2016 13:43, Offramp wrote:
A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

As a first guess, route 210 from Finsbury Park to Whitestone Pomd on
Hampstead Heath, the latter being the highest point in London. Detailed
analysis may well produce another answer but finding the relavant data
is tedious! Also, routes extending outside the Boroughs may well go higher.

Whitestone Pond on Hampstead Heath may have been the highest point in
the old LCC area (though actually I think there is a higher point off
Spaniards Road a little to the north-east of the pond). Within Greater
London there are 7 higher points listed in Wikipedia* of which the
highest is Westerham Hill at 245m (804ft) AOD (Above Ordnance Datum,
i.e. above mean sea level).

That's the highest point of land. The highest point in Greater London is
the top of The Shard at about 314m AOD, but it doesn't have a bus service.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ints_in_London

--
Richard J.
Old May 27th 16, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message ,
Mon, 23 May 2016 00:26:07, Richard J.
posted:

Whitestone Pond on Hampstead Heath may have been the highest point in
the old LCC area (though actually I think there is a higher point off
Spaniards Road a little to the north-east of the pond).

ISTM that if a pond were the highest natural point in an area, it would
soon go somewhere else.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Old May 28th 16, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\05\27 21:53, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london message ,
Mon, 23 May 2016 00:26:07, Richard J.
posted:

Whitestone Pond on Hampstead Heath may have been the highest point in
the old LCC area (though actually I think there is a higher point off
Spaniards Road a little to the north-east of the pond).

ISTM that if a pond were the highest natural point in an area, it would
soon go somewhere else.

The pond is man-made, and its man-made edge will stop the pond from
going anywhere else. ISTR Bell Moor, the first block of flats in East
Heath Road, has a blue plaque on it stating that it is built on the
exact highest point in the old LCC.
Old May 31st 16, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 May 2016 05:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Offramp wrote:

A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

The road from Anerley to Crystal Palace Parade is one of the steepest. When I was a nipper the
trolley buses (route 654) used to take this in their stride. When they were abolished, my school
pals gleefully told me that the replacement motor buses (routes 154 and 157) conked out on the first
day.
Old May 31st 16, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 09:14:25 UTC+1, Optimist wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 05:43:56 -0700 (PDT), Offramp wrote:

A while ago I got on a bus which went to Mill Hill East. It went up and up and up and up.

But which bus route has the highest vertical climb?

The road from Anerley to Crystal Palace Parade is one of the steepest.

I used to often take the 249, which includes the steep climb past the Rookery, between Streatham and Crown Point. Some buses strain a bit going up that.