Old June 15th 16, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground quiz

On 2016\06\15 11:49, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 09:20:43 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

I am assuming I got the crochet pattern questions right. Perhaps it is my sensitive gluteal neurons.

Unless you are red-green colour blind, it's easy enough to know which
questions you got wrong.

Old June 15th 16, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2016\06\15 11:49, Offramp wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 09:20:43 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

I am assuming I got the crochet pattern questions right. Perhaps it is my
sensitive gluteal neurons.

Unless you are red-green colour blind, it's easy enough to know which
questions you got wrong.

I have colours turned off in web sites.

I like to see the difference between links I have clicked and those I
haven't and can't abide the standard choice of: shade of blue against
slightly different shade of blue.

Don't get me started on websites that override the standard colours to
deliberately stop you from telling the difference (why they might think that
this is advantageous to them, I don't know)

tim

Old June 16th 16, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 16:10:01 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'd hope most regulars here can get beat 75%:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/o...derground-quiz

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

70%, badly let down by the seat fabrics.

Haven't actually used the tube in a few years now - possibly 2010?

Was on the Overground yesterday, my first trip to London in some years
(Stratford to Imperial Wharf.)

James

Old June 16th 16, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Heaton wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 16:10:01 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'd hope most regulars here can get beat 75%:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/o...derground-quiz

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

70%, badly let down by the seat fabrics.

Haven't actually used the tube in a few years now - possibly 2010?

Was on the Overground yesterday, my first trip to London in some years
(Stratford to Imperial Wharf.)

That's a long, slow journey on very hard seats. I bet the train was
well-loaded throughout?

Old June 16th 16, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Welcome.

Old June 17th 16, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
James Heaton wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 16:10:01 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'd hope most regulars here can get beat 75%:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/o...derground-quiz

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

70%, badly let down by the seat fabrics.

Haven't actually used the tube in a few years now - possibly 2010?

Was on the Overground yesterday, my first trip to London in some years
(Stratford to Imperial Wharf.)

That's a long, slow journey on very hard seats. I bet the train was
well-loaded throughout?

Yes well loaded throughout - and I had the new 5 car trains in both
directions. It seemed to load up gradually, to very full, then empty out,
about 3 or 4 times. There was no one else in my carriage that I could see
who got on at CJ/Imperial and was still with me at Stratford.

Hard seats particularly for a biggun like me - however the alternative
seemed to be Jubilee to Waterloo, suburban out to Clapham Junction, then
over the river to Imperial Wharf = 3 trains to go wrong/miss connection not
one, and not really any quicker. The supplier I was visiting is literally
2mins walk from Imperial Wharf, it couldn't be better placed; the next
nearest is a district line station from which they advise a taxi if you have
briefcase/bags etc.

However my n/b connections went very well - got off at Stratford and moseyed
over to 9/10 island, almost immediately a Clacton was announced so I belted
down to the country end and managed to get a seat. Jumped at Colchester, on
1/2 island, and again within a minute or two a Norwich was announced at on
2! We ran a bit late as apparently there'd been a failure, so they stuck a
321 out - I guess 5mins is the difference between a 321 maxing out at
100mph, and a cl90 being able to do it easily due to 110mph theoretical max?
Felt like a very exhilarating run through the suburbs but I'm not sure if
that was just a function of not having done it on a train with open windows
for many years!

James

Old June 17th 16, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:10:01 +0000, Recliner wrote:

I'd hope most regulars here can get beat 75%:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/o...can-get-75-in-

this-underground-quiz

[I managed 80%, without cheating.]

85% - I think I fluffed one pattern (though I was probably lucky on a few
others) and I was less lucky on my process of elimination on the zones.
Old June 19th 16, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:32:49 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
James Heaton wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 16:10:01 on Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I'd hope most regulars here can get beat 75%:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/o...derground-quiz

75%, let down by the seat fabrics.

70%, badly let down by the seat fabrics.

Haven't actually used the tube in a few years now - possibly 2010?

Was on the Overground yesterday, my first trip to London in some years
(Stratford to Imperial Wharf.)

That's a long, slow journey on very hard seats. I bet the train was
well-loaded throughout?

Yes well loaded throughout - and I had the new 5 car trains in both
directions.

I think they've all been 5-car for a while now.

It seemed to load up gradually, to very full, then empty out,
about 3 or 4 times. There was no one else in my carriage that I could see
who got on at CJ/Imperial and was still with me at Stratford.

Yes, I think most LO customers take relatively short journeys. The
stops are as frequent as on a Tube line.

Hard seats particularly for a biggun like me - however the alternative
seemed to be Jubilee to Waterloo, suburban out to Clapham Junction, then
over the river to Imperial Wharf = 3 trains to go wrong/miss connection not
one, and not really any quicker. The supplier I was visiting is literally
2mins walk from Imperial Wharf, it couldn't be better placed; the next
nearest is a district line station from which they advise a taxi if you have
briefcase/bags etc.

What about Central Line to Shepherd's Bush, then LO to Imperial Wharf?
It should be about ten minutes quicker, though as it passes through
Zone 1, may be more expensive.

However my n/b connections went very well - got off at Stratford and moseyed
over to 9/10 island, almost immediately a Clacton was announced so I belted
down to the country end and managed to get a seat. Jumped at Colchester, on
1/2 island, and again within a minute or two a Norwich was announced at on
2! We ran a bit late as apparently there'd been a failure, so they stuck a
321 out - I guess 5mins is the difference between a 321 maxing out at
100mph, and a cl90 being able to do it easily due to 110mph theoretical max?

Is 110mph allowed anywhere on that line? I didn't think it was. And
I'd have expected a class 321 to accelerate quicker to 100mph than a
loco=hauled train.

Felt like a very exhilarating run through the suburbs but I'm not sure if
that was just a function of not having done it on a train with open windows
for many years!

Enjoy it while you can. Newer aircon trains don't have opening
windows.
Old June 19th 16, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
James Heaton wrote:

Hard seats particularly for a biggun like me - however the alternative
seemed to be Jubilee to Waterloo, suburban out to Clapham Junction, then
over the river to Imperial Wharf = 3 trains to go wrong/miss connection
not
one, and not really any quicker. The supplier I was visiting is literally
2mins walk from Imperial Wharf, it couldn't be better placed; the next
nearest is a district line station from which they advise a taxi if you
have
briefcase/bags etc.

What about Central Line to Shepherd's Bush, then LO to Imperial Wharf?
It should be about ten minutes quicker, though as it passes through
Zone 1, may be more expensive.

Thanks I may try that one next time I go.

However my n/b connections went very well - got off at Stratford and
moseyed
over to 9/10 island, almost immediately a Clacton was announced so I
belted
down to the country end and managed to get a seat. Jumped at Colchester,
on
1/2 island, and again within a minute or two a Norwich was announced at on
2! We ran a bit late as apparently there'd been a failure, so they stuck
321 out - I guess 5mins is the difference between a 321 maxing out at
100mph, and a cl90 being able to do it easily due to 110mph theoretical
max?

Is 110mph allowed anywhere on that line? I didn't think it was. And
I'd have expected a class 321 to accelerate quicker to 100mph than a
loco=hauled train.

No 110mph not allowed anywhere - I assumed (quite possibly wrongly!) that a
cl90 could do 0-100 quicker than a cl321, for which 100mph is flat out. We
lost 5-6mins between Stratford and Norwich to no obvious reason so just
'educated guessing' as to why.

Felt like a very exhilarating run through the suburbs but I'm not sure if
that was just a function of not having done it on a train with open
windows
for many years!

Enjoy it while you can. Newer aircon trains don't have opening
windows.

Have only ever done one trip on an open-window train on the Norwich line
before; this was c.1997 when a set was failed and a ragtag set with a mix of
mk1 and mk2 was sent out in its place. All the other trips have been on the
main line Mk2 and later Mk3. I do miss the DBSOs, always very lightly
loaded for some reason, tables at every seat though.

James

Old June 19th 16, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
James Heaton wrote:

Hard seats particularly for a biggun like me - however the alternative
seemed to be Jubilee to Waterloo, suburban out to Clapham Junction, then
over the river to Imperial Wharf = 3 trains to go wrong/miss connection
not
one, and not really any quicker. The supplier I was visiting is literally
2mins walk from Imperial Wharf, it couldn't be better placed; the next
nearest is a district line station from which they advise a taxi if you
have
briefcase/bags etc.

What about Central Line to Shepherd's Bush, then LO to Imperial Wharf?
It should be about ten minutes quicker, though as it passes through
Zone 1, may be more expensive.

Thanks I may try that one next time I go.

It also occurs to me that you should change to the Central Line at
Liverpool St, not Stratford. That will be quicker, and will also mean
you're not restricted to an AGA train that stops at Stratford.

[...]

Actually, it's the other way round. Being geared for a higher top speed
reduces the acceleration. For example, class 90 hauled trains accelerate
quicker than the more powerful, theoretically 140 mph capable, class 91
hauled trains, which is why they could maintain almost the same timings on
the ECML.

Having said that, class 321s aren't as powerful as more modern 100mph EMUs,
and only have one motor car, so they won't be particularly fast
accelerating, either.

Two "Street" stations in a row: prospective quiz question Offramp London Transport 31 October 22nd 10 12:01 AM
Quiz Basil Jet London Transport 3 June 21st 09 11:58 AM
Quiz John Rowland London Transport 6 October 8th 08 02:11 PM
Tube quiz name game Iain London Transport 25 August 2nd 06 04:37 PM
TfL cycling (on-yer-bike posters) spot-the-problem quiz Simon Hewison London Transport 19 May 3rd 04 05:21 PM