Old July 1st 16, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More Overground closures...

I received an e-mail today from TfL about further closures of the
Highbury to Shadwell route for Crossrail works. This one is for the
30th July to 7th August.

How many more of these are there going to be, and when are they going
to work out a better rail replacement service between Whitechapel and
Shadwell (the route is tortuously slow due to one way systems, limited
access, traffic calming mechanisms, appalling parking and so on).

Old July 1st 16, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 12:08:51 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
I received an e-mail today from TfL about further closures of the
Highbury to Shadwell route for Crossrail works. This one is for the
30th July to 7th August.

As I said last year when I travelled on it and suffered the same closure - if
they'd bothered to put in a crossover at or nearby shoreditch high street they
could at least have served the City commuters with a reverser. But sadly
foresight is rather lacking with TfL so there we go.

--
Spud

Old July 2nd 16, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/07/2016 12:08, Someone Somewhere wrote:
I received an e-mail today from TfL about further closures of the
Highbury to Shadwell route for Crossrail works. This one is for the
30th July to 7th August.

How many more of these are there going to be, and when are they going
to work out a better rail replacement service between Whitechapel and
Shadwell (the route is tortuously slow due to one way systems, limited
access, traffic calming mechanisms, appalling parking and so on).

There isn't really any other route. The parking situation down New Road
in particular is very bad.
Old July 2nd 16, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/07/2016 09:01, Mizter T wrote:

On 01/07/2016 12:08, Someone Somewhere wrote:
I received an e-mail today from TfL about further closures of the
Highbury to Shadwell route for Crossrail works. This one is for the
30th July to 7th August.

How many more of these are there going to be, and when are they going
to work out a better rail replacement service between Whitechapel and
Shadwell (the route is tortuously slow due to one way systems, limited
access, traffic calming mechanisms, appalling parking and so on).

There isn't really any other route. The parking situation down New Road
in particular is very bad.

Why can't they put in temporary restrictions, or vigorously enforce
whatever restrictions there already are during these periods?
Old July 4th 16, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I received an e-mail today from TfL about further closures of the
Highbury to Shadwell route for Crossrail works. This one is for the
30th July to 7th August.

How many more of these are there going to be, and when are they going
to work out a better rail replacement service between Whitechapel and
Shadwell (the route is tortuously slow due to one way systems, limited
access, traffic calming mechanisms, appalling parking and so on).

Having read the latest TfL Investment Report I think the reason for
the repeated closures at Whitechapel is because the construction of
the Crossrail station is behind schedule. While the report commentary
does not specifically link more closures to slow progress it strikes
me that these repeated week long possessions are an attempt to catch
up. It's not an easy site but even so. I've long been of the view
that the Moorgate - Whitechapel bit of Crossrail has been behind
schedule compared to the much greater physical progress evident
elsewhere on the route.

Interesting observation.

As for the RRS then wibble flip. I'd be more tempted to find a
suitable walking route from a main road served by regular bus services
or from a DLR station.

The walk from Whitechapel station to Shadwell stations (DLR & LO) via
Cavell Street and Watney Market is straightforward and just over half a
mile.

The really awkward thing about the southbound replacement buses is that
they go all the way down Cannon Street Road, crossing Cable Street where
you can actually see up to Shadwell LO station, then because Cable
Street is one way westbound the bus then goes east along The Highway,
then north up King David Lane, then west along Cable Street to a stop
just past Shadwell station. Bit frustrating! (But a frustration I don't
intend on repeating.)

Old July 5th 16, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

How many more of these are there going to be, and when are they going
to work out a better rail replacement service between Whitechapel and
Shadwell (the route is tortuously slow due to one way systems, limited
access, traffic calming mechanisms, appalling parking and so on).

As for the RRS then wibble flip. I'd be more tempted to find a
suitable walking route from a main road served by regular bus services
or from a DLR station.

Yes - and I generally would - my sort of moan about the RRS was on
behalf of those who don't know better and are therefore somewhat forced
to take them.

The walk from Whitechapel station to Shadwell stations (DLR & LO) via
Cavell Street and Watney Market is straightforward and just over half a
mile.

0.8 from the current Whitechapel station entrance, but who's counting?
It's about 15 mins not horribly unpleasant walk.

The really awkward thing about the southbound replacement buses is that
they go all the way down Cannon Street Road, crossing Cable Street where
you can actually see up to Shadwell LO station, then because Cable
Street is one way westbound the bus then goes east along The Highway,
then north up King David Lane, then west along Cable Street to a stop
just past Shadwell station. Bit frustrating! (But a frustration I don't
intend on repeating.)

Indeed - there are alternates - down Sydney Street, down Deancross
Street, right on to Tarling Street, then down Watney Street right to the
Overground station, but the traffic calming mechanisms and parking at
the Tarling Street / Watney Street junction pretty much prohibit it -
the 339 generally finds it hard enough to cope getting through there.

There was some insane plan to make the road network around Shadwell even
more restrictive but that seems to have gone quiet for now, and if they
do I hope they don't forget about certain roads next time around!