Old July 11th 16, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Conductors axed from NB4L/New Routemaster/Boris Bus

I assume this means the rear platform doors will now always be closed
between stops, obviating one of the (small) benefits of this vehicle?

Old July 12th 16, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:37:58 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:

I assume this means the rear platform doors will now always be closed
between stops, obviating one of the (small) benefits of this vehicle?

It obviates the only remaining benefit given their hybrid systems seem to be a
miserable failure too. Hopefully in 10 years or so they'll be sold on and
some standard buses - whether hybrid or pure electric who knows - will be
bought instead for considerably less.

On that subject I'm not entirely sure why successive mayors have never even
considered trolley buses, at least in part like in Boston where its electric
part of the way and a diesel engine takes over where the wires stop. Seems to
me it would be a perfect solution for central london.

--
Spud

Old July 12th 16, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:37:58 +0100, Someone Somewhere

I assume this means the rear platform doors will now always be closed
between stops, obviating one of the (small) benefits of this vehicle?

It's interesting to compare this with the doo-doos on GTR. On the
buses, 300 employees in a safety role are being made redundant by a
Labour mayor to save money. I'm not aware of a squeak from the unions.

On the trains, under pressure from the DfT, the private operator is
changing the role of a few hundred guards, and the unions cause total
disruption, despite the fact that no-one will be made redundant or
suffer any degradation of their conditions. And there's no evidence
that there will be any reduction in safety.
Old July 12th 16, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\07\12 13:33, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:48:22 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

Does anyone know how the trial of wireless charging on the route 69 is
coming along?

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - after a wobbly start and poor vehicle availability the
3 buses are now in regular daily use. I've not seen definitive
comment as to whether a charging pad has been installed at Canning
Town. There is definitely one at Walthamstow and the buses charge up
on it.

Thanks Paul, looks like your short answer should have been "Yes!"

Old July 12th 16, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know how the trial of wireless charging on the route 69 is
coming along?

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - after a wobbly start and poor vehicle availability the
3 buses are now in regular daily use. I've not seen definitive
comment as to whether a charging pad has been installed at Canning
Town. There is definitely one at Walthamstow and the buses charge up
on it.

There has been no commentary in any TfL reports in recent weeks about
the trial. There is also a long gap until the next "Panel" meetings -
presumably because a new TfL board is in the process of being
appointed.

TfL trials on buses seem to go on for years then nothing happens. I occasionally
still see the hydrogen buses drifting around Southwark - how long has that
"trial" been going on now? 5 years if not more?

--
Spud

Old July 12th 16, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:56:47 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:37:58 +0100, Someone Somewhere

I assume this means the rear platform doors will now always be closed
between stops, obviating one of the (small) benefits of this vehicle?

It's interesting to compare this with the doo-doos on GTR. On the
buses, 300 employees in a safety role are being made redundant by a
Labour mayor to save money. I'm not aware of a squeak from the unions.

On the trains, under pressure from the DfT, the private operator is
changing the role of a few hundred guards, and the unions cause total
disruption, despite the fact that no-one will be made redundant or
suffer any degradation of their conditions. And there's no evidence
that there will be any reduction in safety.

You seem surprised. The unions are only interesting in maintaining political
power, their members are a useful tool to be used when needed and forgotten
about when not. Quite why this state of affairs is allowed to continue with
the RMT is anyones guess. I should have been brought to heal and/or closed
down as a corrupt organisation years ago.

--
Spud

Old July 12th 16, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:

I assume this means the rear platform doors will now always be closed
between stops, obviating one of the (small) benefits of this vehicle?

It obviates the only remaining benefit given their hybrid systems seem to be a
miserable failure too. Hopefully in 10 years or so they'll be sold on and
some standard buses - whether hybrid or pure electric who knows - will be
bought instead for considerably less.

I hope they disappear sooner than that. At least supposedly no more are being
built, although I can't find a reference for that right now.

Who'd buy one though? Plenty of ex-London buses have ended up elsewhere, often
with the middle door removed. Where would want some over-long greenhouses with
not just one unwanted door but two, and an unwanted staircase too!

Everything about them is awful. I can't think of a single redeeming feature.