Old July 24th 16, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default In The Heart Of The Teeming Metropolis: Aldwych/Somerset House

The area around Aldwych is really pretty, those three huge islands from St Clement's down to the hotel that used to be Bush House. I really like to visit Somerset House, especially with the kids.

There is a problem with the area though. If you are at Somerset House and you want to go to Trafalgar Square you need bust stop R 76996 which is near the end of St Mary's. The trouble is, 8 buses stop here in the daytime, and they are all pretty regular. Most of them go up Kingsway. These buses also get mixed up with the 13 (count them!) buses that use the nearby stop S 55244.

There is chronic third bus syndrome sellotaped to buses having to go completely around the stops because there is no room. Now that Borisbuses are escape-proof there is no way to leap onto them in the road.

The whole area hasn't been the same since old Leather-Arse died.

Old July 24th 16, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2016 10:35, Offramp wrote:
The area around Aldwych is really pretty, those three huge islands from St Clement's down to the hotel that used to be Bush House. I really like to visit Somerset House, especially with the kids.

There is a problem with the area though. If you are at Somerset House and you want to go to Trafalgar Square you need bust stop R 76996 which is near the end of St Mary's. The trouble is, 8 buses stop here in the daytime, and they are all pretty regular. Most of them go up Kingsway. These buses also get mixed up with the 13 (count them!) buses that use the nearby stop S 55244.

There is chronic third bus syndrome sellotaped to buses having to go completely around the stops because there is no room. Now that Borisbuses are escape-proof there is no way to leap onto them in the road.

The whole area hasn't been the same since old Leather-Arse died.

This seems to me to be a case on behalf of those:

(a) who are willing and able to leap onto a bus in the middle of the
Strand (often busy with cyclists and motorcyclists as well as other
traffic); but

(b) unwilling or unable to walk half a mile from Somerset House to
Trafalgar Square (or 0.3 mile to stop J at Bedford Street - 71636).

Good luck if you want to pursue that under the Equality Act Though I
fear in these risk-averse days you might meet some push back from social
services if you encouraged your kids to dodge through traffic to make
heroic grabs for moving poles

--
Robin
Old July 24th 16, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote on 24 Jul 2016 at 10:35 ...
The area around Aldwych is really pretty, those three huge islands from St Clement's down to the hotel that used to be Bush House. I really like to visit Somerset House, especially with the kids.

There is a problem with the area though. If you are at Somerset House and you want to go to Trafalgar Square you need bust stop R 76996 which is near the end of St Mary's. The trouble is, 8 buses stop here in the daytime, and they are all pretty regular. Most of them go up Kingsway. These buses also get mixed up with the 13 (count them!) buses that use the nearby stop S 55244.

There is chronic third bus syndrome sellotaped to buses having to go completely around the stops because there is no room. Now that Borisbuses are escape-proof there is no way to leap onto them in the road.

The whole area hasn't been the same since old Leather-Arse died.

I'm wondering why you would want to sellotape a syndrome to a bus.

--
Richard J.
Old July 25th 16, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 24 July 2016 12:32:50 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

This seems to me to be a case on behalf of those:

(a) who are willing and able to leap onto a bus in the middle of the
Strand (often busy with cyclists and motorcyclists as well as other
traffic); but

Understood. However, as you know, traffic is very VERY often stuck at the lights in that area. Even the 2-wheelers are normally dawdling. In any case I do watch out for bicyclists, and unicyclists especially. Also it is no longer possible. The doors on BoJo buses are SHUT forever.

(b) unwilling or unable to walk half a mile from Somerset House to
Trafalgar Square (or 0.3 mile to stop J at Bedford Street - 71636).

Normally I am heading to Victoria to get a train, so I need an 11. The trouble is that after I have gone backwards attempting to get a bus at S, I am reluctant to retrace my steps (and the 7-year-old's) to J. Normally if I fail at S I continue backwards to the one that is at the apse-end of St Clement's.

I was not being entirely serious and I am glad that both Robin & Richard J have comprehended that!