Old August 15th 16, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

"Clank" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Someone Somewhere" wrote in message
On 11/08/2016 09:13, Robin9 wrote:

That Uber don't like these new requirements and have prepared
a ready-made email for their drivers to send to TfL indicates three
things:

1) A lot of Uber drivers don't speak English very well;
2) Taking back in house the testing of private hire drivers and
setting even a moderate standard will immediately reduce the
number of new entrants;
3) The propaganda put out by the "remain" group that all
immigrants working in this country were exceptionally gifted
people unmatched by any Briton was nonsense.

Why do we want less cabbies (of all types, including black and private
hire) anyway? Most other industries are left to set their own level of
employees and even where people are self-employed the market is somewhat
self-balancing.

because by being a self employed person and "earning" minimum wage for
the
minimum number of hours, entitles you to in work benefits.

That may not be very much for as single guy, but bring your family over
and
you soon get someone earning 8K a year, "contributing" 300 quid in NI and
taxes and then leaching 20 grand a year in benefits.

We can't stop Brits doing this, but we damned well ought to be able top
stop
foreigners doing it

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about stopping the Brits doing it -
it's the lazy, waste of space scum that won't work for a living that make
that Septic Isle a ********,

And look at the furore when the last Chancellor tried exactly that.

(That's not to say that I disagree it is necessary, just that I don't
believe it is deliverable)

not the immigrants who do the jobs you're too
lazy to.

I'm not entirely sure why you are making such a personal jibe.

I have never claimed a penny in benefit payments in my life, so whether I am
too lazy or not to take on a particular type of work is no business of
yours.

tim

Old August 15th 16, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:19:31 +0200
Robin9 wrote:
;157495 Wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:01:03 +0100
Recliner wrote:-
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:18:57 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:-
firms whose staff end up earning less than the minimum wage. But hey,
its an
app so what do the Kool Kids care if they guy delivering their organic
soya
salad earns a pittance, he's just a grunt right?-

http://tinyurl.com/h8vevqc
ate-against-new-contract-

Can't blame them. 3.75 per delivery is royally taking the ****. All
those
striking RMT ****s should have a good look at that to understand what
poor pay
and conditions really means.

--
Spud

Perhaps they do know what low pay and poor working
conditions are! They want to make sure they're not inflicted
on them.

So you think if they don't go on strike every other month about some fatuous
non-issue they'll suddenly find their 50K+ salaries dropped to mininum wage?
You ever heard of UK contract law for permanent staff?

Union bashers should never overlook the central truth
that when we had strong unions in this country, working
people did not have to let themselves be exploited.

And union supporters should remember its 2016, not 1916.

--
Spud

Old August 15th 16, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 20:11:48 +0200
Robin9 wrote:
It depends also on whether one thinks rationally!

First of all, job mobility is a luxury for people who are not
suffering extreme poverty. I'm quite sure that none of the

Really? Explain how a couple of million east europeans and other assorted
migrants manage to rock up here and get a job then.

large number of people in this country currently working in
exploitation circumstances finds job mobility within their grasp.

If someone is young and single they have no excuse not to move around the
place to find work other than laziness.

--
Spud

Old August 15th 16, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-11 13:10:24 +0000, tim... said:

Though none of that is to say that I think the test isn't appropriate for
Taxi drivers. I do think that they should be able to master
conversational English, if they are targeting English speaking
passengers.

Unless I have the option to select an English speaking driver from a
minicab company or Uber, that is *every* driver.

It's not technically impossible for Uber to provide the option of language
spoken and make sure that your request is satisfied.

I'm sure that there are sufficient equality of supply of/demand for Urdu,
Gujarati etc, for them to be offered as alternatives to English.

But I doubt that offering Romanian or Bulgarian results in an equality of
supply & demand.

tim

Old August 15th 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
It depends also on whether one thinks rationally!

First of all, job mobility is a luxury for people who are not
suffering extreme poverty. I'm quite sure that none of the

Really? Explain how a couple of million east europeans and other assorted
migrants manage to rock up here and get a job then.

because they are not the ones from East Europe who are in extreme poverty

those have to stay behind

tim

Old August 15th 16, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
It depends also on whether one thinks rationally!

First of all, job mobility is a luxury for people who are not
suffering extreme poverty. I'm quite sure that none of the

Really? Explain how a couple of million east europeans and other assorted
migrants manage to rock up here and get a job then.

because they are not the ones from East Europe who are in extreme poverty

those have to stay behind

Extreme poverty is relative. The chavs here would think it means not being
able to afford Sky Sports and an extra packet of fags a week.

--
Spud

Old August 15th 16, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

I thought it was a bit of an exaggeration, but then I used on online
calculator (
www.entitledto.co.uk), claiming I worked 20 hours a week
for 8K per annum and was single with 4 kids, living in a band C
council property in Tower Hamlets with a rent of £120 a week.

This is what it came out with:

Initial Tax Credit £14,996.10 £288.39 This figure is based on
the income you received last year. The Tax Credits figure shown below
is based on your current income amount. Tax
Credits £14,996.10 £288.39 Working tax credit and child tax
credit.
Council Tax Support £364.52 £6.99 Your full Council Tax bill of
£15.30 per week will be reduced to £8.31 per week because of your
entitlement to Council Tax Support. The amount you get can be
affected by other benefits. We have included the amounts we have
calculated for Working Tax Credit (£63.91 per week). Housing
Benefit £4,835.39 £92.99 Your full rent of £120.00 per
week will be reduced by £92.99 per week because of your entitlement to
Housing Benefit. This means you will have to pay £27.01 each week. The
amount you get can be affected by other benefits. We have included the
amounts we have calculated for Working Tax Credit (£63.91 per week).
Child Benefit £3,213.60 £61.80
Total Entitlements £23,409.61 £450.17

So, £23k - even more than was claimed!

and falling.

hence the reason why I plumped for 20K instead of the current maximum
of 23K

When does child benefit beyond 2nd child stop?

It doesn't (the proposal was for Child Tax Credits to be restricted
to first 2 children, but that got quashed in the Lords along with the
other recent changes)

I accept that my suggestion that someone can get 20K in benefits from
earning 8K per annum in uncommon, but it most certainly isn't the
complete fiction that you suggested it was

I thought the switch to Universal Credit was going to penalise children
after the first 2? The point made after the Lords defeat was that it was
only temporary.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 15th 16, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:26:08 on Mon, 15 Aug
2016, tim... remarked:

I have never claimed a penny in benefit payments in my life, so whether
I am too lazy or not to take on a particular type of work is no
business of yours.

Not having children removes a person from many forms of benefit, whether
tax breaks, tax credits, child benefit(sic), or a lower threshold for
things like income support, housing benefit(sic) and council tax
benefit(sic).

I never claimed unemployment benefit between jobs until a PPI (yes, I
know) policy on a mortgage wouldn't pay out unless I registered as
unemployed, as well as in fact being laid off and having a P45 to prove
it. Complying with all the DWP requirements[1] felt like a full time job
in its own right.

[1] Some of which seemed similar to a redundant Concorde pilot being
required to spend a certain number of hours a day scouring job ads
just in case there were any vacancies for Concorde pilots outside of
BA/Air France.
Old August 15th 16, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

[...]

I think it's only for children born after a certain date.

Existing claimants will keep it.

James