Old August 15th 16, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

In article , lid
(James Heaton) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,

(tim...) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

I thought it was a bit of an exaggeration, but then I used on online
calculator (
www.entitledto.co.uk), claiming I worked 20 hours a week
for 8K per annum and was single with 4 kids, living in a band C
council property in Tower Hamlets with a rent of £120 a week.

This is what it came out with:

Initial Tax Credit £14,996.10 £288.39 This figure is based
on the income you received last year. The Tax Credits figure shown
below is based on your current income amount. Tax
Credits £14,996.10 £288.39 Working tax credit and child
tax credit.
Council Tax Support £364.52 £6.99 Your full Council Tax bill of
£15.30 per week will be reduced to £8.31 per week because of your
entitlement to Council Tax Support. The amount you get can be
affected by other benefits. We have included the amounts we have
calculated for Working Tax Credit (£63.91 per week). Housing
Benefit £4,835.39 £92.99 Your full rent of £120.00 per
week will be reduced by £92.99 per week because of your entitlement
to Housing Benefit. This means you will have to pay £27.01 each
week. The amount you get can be affected by other benefits. We have
included the amounts we have calculated for Working Tax Credit
(£63.91 per week).
Child Benefit £3,213.60 £61.80
Total Entitlements £23,409.61 £450.17

So, £23k - even more than was claimed!

and falling.

hence the reason why I plumped for 20K instead of the current maximum
of 23K

When does child benefit beyond 2nd child stop?

It doesn't (the proposal was for Child Tax Credits to be restricted
to first 2 children, but that got quashed in the Lords along with the
other recent changes)

I accept that my suggestion that someone can get 20K in benefits from
earning 8K per annum in uncommon, but it most certainly isn't the
complete fiction that you suggested it was

I thought the switch to Universal Credit was going to penalise children
after the first 2? The point made after the Lords defeat was that it was
only temporary.

I think it's only for children born after a certain date.

Existing claimants will keep it.

The hypothesis related to new claimants of course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 15th 16, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-15 11:40:51 +0000, tim... said:

It's not technically impossible for Uber to provide the option of
language spoken and make sure that your request is satisfied.

I'm sure that there are sufficient equality of supply of/demand for
Urdu, Gujarati etc, for them to be offered as alternatives to English.

That's really not a terrible idea at all.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old August 16th 16, 07:40 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] View Post
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:14:37 +0200, Robin9
wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;157509']Robin9
wrote:-

Michael R N Dolbear;157505 Wrote: -
"Robin9" wrote
-
poor pay and conditions really means.-
-
Perhaps they do know what low pay and poor working-
conditions are! They want to make sure they're not inflicted
on them.
-
Union bashers should never overlook the central truth-
that when we had strong unions in this country, working
people did not have to let themselves be exploited.

Really ?

What historical years have you in mind "when we had strong unions in
this
country" ?

I take it that during those years if anyone was exploited it was their
own
fault ?

Blame the victim indeed.

--
Robin9-

Between 1945 and 1979 the UK economy grew and, because
in those days we did not have banana republic politicians like
Thatcher, Blair and Osborne, the resulting prosperity was not
reserved for a few anti-social fat cats. We also had fairly
full employment, and in London anyone could get a job. No-one
leaving school faced the prospect of not finding a job.

During this period we had strong trade unions, some of whom
frequently went on strike or "worked to rule." Then, as now,
there was enormous media hostility towards the trade union
movement.

In the three decades after World War 2, anyone with any initiative
could avoid exploitation. It might be, for people in Scotland or
Northern Ireland, that moving to London or the Home Counties
was necessary, but the opportunity to avoid rapacious, predatory
employers was available to normal working people.-

I think you have a rather rosy view of a pretty miserable period. There
was
plenty of boom and bust in that period. Since 1980, the economy has
been
better managed.
QUOTE]

Certainly we had boom and bust in those years - we
called it stop/go then - but we didn't have zero hours
contracts and we didn't have a large sub-section of the
economy based entirely on the employer being able to
exploit vulnerable people who have no alternative work
opportunities.

There are plenty of alternative work opportunities. The UK has one of
the lowest unemployment rates in Europe, if not the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unempl...on_2010M09.svg

The unemployment rate is higher than in the 1950-1970 period, but
that's partly because of the postwar recovery:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...since_1881.svg

This has nothing to do with a rosy view of the past. It has
everything to do with looking at the facts and thinking
rationally about them. You say it was a miserable period.
Paraphrasing a speech Edward Heath made to the Tory
Conference when he was Leader of the Opposition: it was
not a miserable period for the millions of people who bought
their own home; it wasn't a miserable period for people who
had grown up in slums but who now had a modern council flat.
It wasn't a miserable period for people who had central heating,
television sets, washing machines, refrigerators and holidays
abroad, all of which their parents had never had.

Are you forgetting the three-day week, power cuts, the Winter of
Discontent, British Leyland, the closure of most of the shipyards...
The number of jobs is not the same as the quality of them.
No-one disputes that large numbers of rubbish jobs are
being created. We are discussing the issue of people being
forced by the lack of good alternative jobs to accept working
in rubbish conditions for rubbish money for a rubbish employer.

No, I am not forgetting the problems and disruptions our country
experienced in the '60 and '70s. My point is that despite those
inconveniences the situation for normal working people was far
better. I repeat: we did not have zero hours contracts then;
we did not have people forced to go self-employed merely so
the employers could evade their legal obligations.
Old August 16th 16, 07:54 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

You seem to believe that in London and the South-East,
there are still large numbers of well paid jobs that will finance
a decent place to live. I don't believe that and I don't believe
if people in, say, Derbyshire came down to London, they would
find it financially feasible.

As you yourself have pointed out in the past, the main reason
large numbers of immigrants can take on low-paid jobs is
because many of them live fifteen to a house. That's tolerable
for a short period if the situation in your own country is worse
and if the exchange rate means that you will be able within a
couple of years to save what in your own country is a fortune.
Old August 16th 16, 08:12 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

The economic growth post 1945 had very little to do with
the after effects of the war. The two main drivers were the
recognition by politicians throughout Western Europe and
the North American continent that the way the economies
had been managed prior to WW2 had been wrong; and
fairly full employment.

While it is true that for a time wages on the railways fell
behind those in other industries, railway workers did not
have zero hours contracts imposed on them. They were
not forced to go self-employed. They were not denied sick
pay and pension rights.

There is no comparison at all between the employment
situation of railway workers in the 1950s and people
working zero house contracts or similar today.

Old August 16th 16, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article , lid
(James Heaton) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,

(tim...) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

[...]

In most parts of Britain, there are no new claimants to UB.

By the time it is rolled out to them, they will be existing claimants

tim

Old August 16th 16, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-15 11:40:51 +0000, tim... said:

It's not technically impossible for Uber to provide the option of
language spoken and make sure that your request is satisfied.

I'm sure that there are sufficient equality of supply of/demand for Urdu,
Gujarati etc, for them to be offered as alternatives to English.

That's really not a terrible idea at all.

I wasn't suggesting that it ought to be allowed for taxi drivers to offer a
service only to "foreign" speaking clients

I am saying that were it to be allowed for some languages, these are ones
where it might work. Whereas for the "new" European counties it wont.

tim

Old August 16th 16, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:54:35 +0200
Robin9 wrote:
You seem to believe that in London and the South-East,
there are still large numbers of well paid jobs that will finance
a decent place to live. I don't believe that and I don't believe
if people in, say, Derbyshire came down to London, they would
find it financially feasible.

It depends on the job. If it was a reasonably well paid job they'd probably
manage though obviously house prices and rents are currently at a ridiculous
level at the moment here.

As you yourself have pointed out in the past, the main reason
large numbers of immigrants can take on low-paid jobs is
because many of them live fifteen to a house. That's tolerable
for a short period if the situation in your own country is worse
and if the exchange rate means that you will be able within a
couple of years to save what in your own country is a fortune.

True and thats certainly the case in London. But in more rural areas rents
are substantially lower yet a lot of jobs there are done by migrants too.

There does however seem to be a sense of entitlement amongst millenials who
seem to think they're owed a well paid job the minute they walk out of school
with a reluctance to do the ****ty jobs and work their way up. Obviously not
every crap job will lead to something better, but they don't seem to be too
interested even in the ones that do which probably goes part of the way to
explaining why in the place I work 50% of the staff are foreign nationals.

--
Spud

Old August 16th 16, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-16 09:11:28 +0000, Roland Perry said:

My experience of (pre-Uber) minicab drivers is they just sit outside in
the road tooting the horn until someone emerges from the house. Yet
another completely illegal procedure, of course.

In these days of mobile phone confirmations, you should really be
walking out of your door just as the vehicle arrives, obviating the
need for this.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old August 16th 16, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-16 09:50:19 +0000, Recliner said:

Someone getting a mini cab from home is more likely to phone their local
firm, which will be cheaper and more likely to have a car available
locally. They will also accept pre-bookings, which Uber does not.

The latter is a big weakness of Uber. Two of my local firms have
Uber-style apps, but they allow pre-booking via them - as a result I
have little interest in switching to Uber.

Neil
--
Neil Williams