Old August 26th 16, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq Khan and TfL on taxis and minicabs

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 22:03:56 on Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Recliner
remarked:

And I still fail to understand how it will work with a graphical app.

Perhaps you should try it? Got any rich friends with an iPhone you could
borrow for a couple of hours??

It would probably work on one of my iPads. And maybe there's an Android
equivalent or two; there usually are. But as it's of no relevance to me, I
don't think I'll bother.

If you are happy to fail to understand, then don't bleat about it here.

Looks really easy for a blind person, doesn't it:

https://help.uber.com/h/902465fa-f22...4-59940446e792

Yes it does.

Old August 26th 16, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 08:05:03 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 22:03:56 on Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Recliner
remarked:

And I still fail to understand how it will work with a graphical app.

Perhaps you should try it? Got any rich friends with an iPhone you could
borrow for a couple of hours??

It would probably work on one of my iPads. And maybe there's an Android
equivalent or two; there usually are. But as it's of no relevance to me, I
don't think I'll bother.

If you are happy to fail to understand, then don't bleat about it here.

Looks really easy for a blind person, doesn't it:

https://help.uber.com/h/902465fa-f22...4-59940446e792

Yes it does.

Compared to what, them trying to run through a maze without hitting a wall?

I realise that a number of people here think newer technology solves every
problem better than the previous iteration, but the occasional reality check
might be in order now and then just so you don't come across as a complete berk.

My mother had poor eyesight and even had trouble operating a calculator that
spoke the numbers when you pressed the buttons and spoke the result. The
chances of her operating an app like that with speech would have been zero.

--
Spud

Old August 26th 16, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, rather than navigate that app, I'd have thought a blind or
partiality-sighted person would far rather phone a trusted minicab company
on speed dial, using a conventional phone with tactile buttons.

Old August 26th 16, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:31:17 on Fri, 26 Aug
2016, d remarked:

Looks really easy for a blind person, doesn't it:

https://help.uber.com/h/902465fa-f22...4-59940446e792

Yes it does.

Compared to what, them trying to run through a maze without hitting a wall?

I realise that a number of people here think newer technology solves every
problem better than the previous iteration, but the occasional reality check
might be in order now and then just so you don't come across as a complete berk.

I'm constantly amazed by the ability of blind persons to navigate
(literally and metaphorically) the modern world, and after all they'll
have had years of practice.

Have you ever met David Blunkett and seen how well he copes despite
being blind?
Old August 26th 16, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:17:12 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:31:17 on Fri, 26 Aug
2016, d remarked:

Looks really easy for a blind person, doesn't it:

https://help.uber.com/h/902465fa-f22...4-59940446e792

Yes it does.

Compared to what, them trying to run through a maze without hitting a wall?

I realise that a number of people here think newer technology solves every
problem better than the previous iteration, but the occasional reality check
might be in order now and then just so you don't come across as a complete

berk.

I'm constantly amazed by the ability of blind persons to navigate
(literally and metaphorically) the modern world, and after all they'll
have had years of practice.

There's a big difference between navigating a physical world with touch
feedback and trying to use a flat screen with none other than a voice that
may or may not help.

--
Spud

Old August 26th 16, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 02:24:00PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 02:48:12PM -0000, Recliner wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
There are four, right now, within 500 yards of my flat.
I suspect you're near the sort of traffic magnet that attracts Uber
drivers. They don't otherwise hang around residential areas.

I'd love to know what traffic magnet there is near CR7 8JH during the
middle of a working day.

Thornton Heath station, a Tesco superstore, a shopping parade with
restaurants, etc.

Or as Londoners call it, "nothing unusual".

The app doesn't show Uber's drivers congregating there in any case, it
mostly shows them scattered on little residential streets where,
presumably, they have just dropped people off.

You can't judge a book by its cover, unless you're a religious nutcase
Old August 28th 16, 08:18 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Perry View Post
In message , at 08:31:17 on Fri, 26 Aug
2016, d remarked:

Looks really easy for a blind person, doesn't it:

https://help.uber.com/h/902465fa-f22...4-59940446e792

Yes it does.

Compared to what, them trying to run through a maze without hitting a wall?

I realise that a number of people here think newer technology solves every
problem better than the previous iteration, but the occasional reality check
might be in order now and then just so you don't come across as a complete berk.

I'm constantly amazed by the ability of blind persons to navigate
(literally and metaphorically) the modern world, and after all they'll
have had years of practice.

Have you ever met David Blunkett and seen how well he copes despite
being blind?
I've known quite a few blind people. They're not all
the same and they vary hugely in their ability to cope
on their own without help.

Just to give one example: a woman who still had some
sight insisted she could not place her front door key in
the lock, and demanded someone else do it for her.
Another woman who was totally blind became annoyed
when I told her this story and said the other woman was
a disgrace.

A blind friend of mine startled, indeed astonished, me by
saying that she didn't mind being blind but felt sorry for
people who were deaf which she regarded as a far worse
disability.
Old August 28th 16, 08:30 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

A lot of Uber drivers work for them only part time. For
rest of the time they work as minicab drivers with a local
firm. So they have two pieces of communication equipment
in the car. In practice what happens is that they log on with
their local firm, and as and when it becomes "quiet" they turn
on the Uber app. At this point Uber customers can see them
on their screens.

My guess is that most of the drivers showing on the Uber app
in the suburbs are working for two firms.

Bob Crow is a Complete and Utter B*ST*RD! Barry Salter London Transport 58 September 7th 07 11:09 AM
Bob Crow Gets His Claim in 7 Years Early Kev London Transport 7 February 27th 06 08:49 PM
Kiley going Jeremy Parker London Transport 1 December 3rd 05 11:08 AM
Bob Crow nsj London Transport 40 August 2nd 05 09:13 PM
Kiley wants road user charging in London Dave Arquati London Transport 14 January 27th 05 05:30 PM