London Banter

-   -   London – Moslem Train Driver Crashes Train Du (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15060-london-moslem-train-driver-crashes.html)

Anna Noyd-Dryver August 22nd 16 11:57 PM

London – Moslem Train Driver Crashes Train Du

Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/08/16 16:57, burfordTjustice wrote:

Signal SN6004 was clearly visible, but the driver did not realise that
it applied to his train, so he drove past it although it was showing
two red lights, meaning ‘Stop’.

The ground indicators I've seen have an arrow on pointing at the line
they apply to.

Do they all have that?

Yes, though last time I went past the signal in question I seem to recall
that the number-and-arrow plate was rather buried in the ballast and needed
a keen eye to spot it at walking pace. Also if the driver had spotted the
arrow just as he was approaching the signal it wouldn't have made much
difference to his ability to stop in time.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Tim Watts[_3_] August 23rd 16 08:18 AM

On 23/08/16 00:57, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/08/16 16:57, burfordTjustice wrote:

Signal SN6004 was clearly visible, but the driver did not realise that
it applied to his train, so he drove past it although it was showing
two red lights, meaning ‘Stop’.

The ground indicators I've seen have an arrow on pointing at the line
they apply to.

Do they all have that?

Yes, though last time I went past the signal in question I seem to recall
that the number-and-arrow plate was rather buried in the ballast and needed
a keen eye to spot it at walking pace. Also if the driver had spotted the
arrow just as he was approaching the signal it wouldn't have made much
difference to his ability to stop in time.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Interesting... So it sounds like his route knowledge was a bit duff then?

Recliner[_3_] August 23rd 16 08:57 AM

Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/08/16 16:57, burfordTjustice wrote:

Signal SN6004 was clearly visible, but the driver did not realise that
it applied to his train, so he drove past it although it was showing
two red lights, meaning ‘Stop’.

The ground indicators I've seen have an arrow on pointing at the line
they apply to.

Do they all have that?

Yes, though last time I went past the signal in question I seem to recall
that the number-and-arrow plate was rather buried in the ballast and needed
a keen eye to spot it at walking pace. Also if the driver had spotted the
arrow just as he was approaching the signal it wouldn't have made much
difference to his ability to stop in time.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Interesting... So it sounds like his route knowledge was a bit duff then?

The report said he'd only driven it once since completing training a few
months earlier.