Old September 5th 16, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can you visit every underground station on one fare?

In message , at 14:19:12
on Sun, 4 Sep 2016, remarked:

From time to time there have been "all day rover tickets" but
perhaps only from 9/10am onwards.

and not as early as 1970 either.

Here's a Twin Rover ticket from 1967:

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthi.../redrover.html

Old September 5th 16, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article , (John Levine)
wrote:

Are fast, non-stop services allowed? For example, from Wembley Park to
Finchley Road on the Met, or Acton Town to Hammersmith on the Picc? Or do
stations only count if the train stopped at them?

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/tube-challenge-rules

The rules reproduced there make clear that the answer to Recliner's question
is no.

Yes, I'd assumed that would be regarded as cheating.

Old September 5th 16, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
14:19:12 on Sun, 4 Sep 2016,
remarked:

From time to time there have been "all day rover tickets" but
perhaps only from 9/10am onwards.

and not as early as 1970 either.

Here's a Twin Rover ticket from 1967:

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthi.../redrover.html

My recollection is that they weren't valid in the morning peak.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 5th 16, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

John Levine wrote:
Are fast, non-stop services allowed? For example, from Wembley Park to
Finchley Road on the Met, or Acton Town to Hammersmith on the Picc? Or do
stations only count if the train stopped at them?

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/tube-challenge-rules

Is there a generally accepted optimal route for attempting the challenge
within these rules? Presumably there are certain parts of the network that
impose constraints so have to be done at particular times.

Robin

Old September 5th 16, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/tube-challenge-rules

Is there a generally accepted optimal route for attempting the challenge
within these rules? Presumably there are certain parts of the network that
impose constraints so have to be done at particular times.

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/projectplan

R's,
John

Old September 6th 16, 01:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (John Levine)
wrote:

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/tube-challenge-rules

Is there a generally accepted optimal route for attempting the challenge
within these rules? Presumably there are certain parts of the network
that impose constraints so have to be done at particular times.

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/projectplan

All far too sophisticated for 1970! No WTT for a start and not even a pocket
calculator to carry around. We did have some contingencies set up to cover
extra bits, mainly in Zone 1, if we got ahead of our timetable. We were 40
minutes up until the bloody 107 bus let us down so badly.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 6th 16, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 20:13:14 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(John Levine)
wrote:

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/tube-challenge-rules

Is there a generally accepted optimal route for attempting the challenge
within these rules? Presumably there are certain parts of the network
that impose constraints so have to be done at particular times.

Read all about it:

http://www.thetubechallenge.com/projectplan

All far too sophisticated for 1970! No WTT for a start and not even a pocket
calculator to carry around. We did have some contingencies set up to cover
extra bits, mainly in Zone 1, if we got ahead of our timetable. We were 40
minutes up until the bloody 107 bus let us down so badly.

Ah. I could have warned you about that! I used to live on the 107, and
in 1970 it would have been one of London's longest central buses
routes. Delays were the norm.

Mind you, it was handy for a trip to Aldenham Works.
Old September 6th 16, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(BirchangerKen) wrote:

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 20:13:14 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(John Levine)
wrote:

[...]

Annoyingly it was running on time apart from one bus in a 20-minute interval
service being cancelled. It was also slow getting to High Barnet so we just
missed the train we needed. We had to get the right one to get to Mill Hill
East (where the photo was taken) and back.

None of that would have mattered had we visited South Harrow, the only way
in those days to find out the exact evening timetable there, beforehand.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 14th 16, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/09/2016 11:34, wrote:
Here's a Twin Rover ticket from 1967:

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthi.../redrover.html

My recollection is that they weren't valid in the morning peak.

I don't recall.

But they weren't valid north of Rickmansworth on the Met.

(Since we always boarded at Watford Junction or Croxley, depending on
which grandparents I was with at the time, I can't remember whether it
was valid at Ricky itself.)