Old September 19th 16, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Roastmasters. The worst?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:43:42 +0100, Neil Williams

On 2016-09-19 09:00:28 +0000, Offramp said:

In another thread that I am unable to find a poster mentioned the
button, once used by the second warm-bodied staff-human on the bus to
open the rear doors.

On a normal bus one is definitely not meant to use the button
positioned over the doors in the middle of the bus to egrete oneself
from the bus in traffic, or anywhere.

But is one allowed to use the rear door button on a roastmaster? Is it
"allowed", and if so, where is it?

If running with a conductor, the door is left open.

Indeed, that's the whole point of the platform attendant.

Old September 19th 16, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, 19 September 2016 15:11:33 UTC+1, wrote:

How do the drivers know if anyone is on the stairs?

Mirrors. They can see the top deck and so will know if someone is coming
down or hasn't yet got up there. Plus I imagine they can hear the footsteps
too since on a normal DD they're right behind the cab.

LOL! Is that the first thing they think about? They don't give a toss!
Old September 19th 16, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 08:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 19 September 2016 15:11:33 UTC+1, wrote:

How do the drivers know if anyone is on the stairs?

Mirrors. They can see the top deck and so will know if someone is coming
down or hasn't yet got up there. Plus I imagine they can hear the footsteps
too since on a normal DD they're right behind the cab.

LOL! Is that the first thing they think about? They don't give a toss!

Thats the point - they don't give a stuff. But I'm just saying they've got no
excuse not to know if anyone is on the stairs.

--
Spud

Old September 30th 16, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-30 15:34:43 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

Oh well nice to see I am not alone in finding Roastmasters nausea
inducing heaps. I refuse to use them so my central London travels and
bus usage have fallen off a cliff as a result. Still I am in the
position to make that choice but many people are not.

I know you don't like the physical bus, on which I differ, but I don't
get the arguments about fare evasion. The operating method of a bus is
totally separate, once you take the rear platform and conductor out,
from what the bus looks like. TfL could decide tomorrow that they will
revert them to "on at the front, off at the back", just as they could
do with bendies and rigid single deckers if they wished. Indeed, the
door all the way at the rear would make that style of operation work
better than other buses, as people will happily move down if they don't
think they'll get blocked from getting off by crowds.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 1st 16, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Fri, 30 Sep
2016 16:34:43 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 15:16:41 +0100, "
wrote:

I had the distinct ... erm ... pleasure of riding on Roastmaster (a.k.a.
Borisbus) the other day.

I am neither a designer nor an automotive engineer, but I think that it
is safe to say that this is a poorly designed vehicle pretty much by
anybody's standards and that this is also what happens when you push
through a vanity project. Where was the oversight committee on this?

I was on one bus that had openable windows on its upper deck, though I
still felt extremely nauseous. I did this after the heatwave and I don't
easily get motion sickness, thus making me wonder if there are issues
with exhaust venting.

The seats were extremely narrow and uncomfortable; While it would
probably benefit me to lose a couple of kilos, as with many people, I am
not grossly overweight.

The promised A/C doesn't work, and fare evasion can be rife. Indeed, I
thought that one of the many reasons for being rid of Bendis was to
combat fare evasion.

I also understand that the cost of these busses came in well above what
something like a Volvo would cost.

IMHO, this has to be one of the worst passenger vehicles plying London's
roads these days, making the bendibus look good in comparison.

The design that they have now should have either gone through several
additional iterations, been a mock up as part of an exhibition called
"Transport of the Future" in some place like London's Design Museum or
simply remained a concept drawing as part of a design studio's PR action.

In any event, the fiasco that is the current Roastmaster has likely
killed off any prospect of getting a new Routemaster on London's road
any time in the foreseeable future.

Oh well nice to see I am not alone in finding Roastmasters nausea
inducing heaps. I refuse to use them so my central London travels and
bus usage have fallen off a cliff as a result. Still I am in the
position to make that choice but many people are not.

Even though we are nearing the end of NB4L production (hooray) the
wretched things are to be inflicted on two routes, 48 and 76, that I
do use from Central London if I don't fancy a train or a tube ride. So
that's two more bus routes that I can't use come next year.

Where do you find the plans to change 48 and 76 to NB4L?
I don't like them. I find mountaineering into seats at the back of the
lower deck unreasonable. The handle bars on the front stairs have a
horizontal bar, which forces one to let go and try again.

I can find the registration numbers of approaching buses with the "Bus
Times" Android app. It is better than 90% reliable.
Do you know how to locate a particular bus?
I reported a fault, yesterday. (The registration number did not appear
on either deck's comments poster.) I trust I will get a "fixed" response
and want to check it.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 2nd 16, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

One got so hot it burst into flames
Bryan Morris
Old October 2nd 16, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
() wrote:

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 18:42:47 +0100, Bryan Morris
wrote:

One got so hot it burst into flames

Before you get too excited look at the photos of the front, especially
the headlights..
That model is not what has become known as Roastmaster.

My thoughts exactly. The registration and fleet number location aren't right
for a New Routemaster either. Which other buses have that front and
staircase styling now?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 2nd 16, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Is there an indeed an issue with exhaust venting on them? I can ride any
other bus without a problem -- upper- and lower-deck -- and not feel any
nausea.