Old November 15th 16, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croydon tram overturned

On 2016-11-15 11:30:36 +0000, Clive D.W. Feather said:

In UK law the white light signals are traffic lights that apply only
to trams, as opposed to the red/amber/green ones which apply to road
traffic other than trams.

Yes, I think that law needs to be changed, as it would allow bus-lane
overtakes without the need for a separating traffic island. Bus-lane
overtakes at junctions are about the most effective form of bus
infrastructure, and there are hardly any of them in the UK (though more
than there used to be) largely because they require about a lane and a
half's width to implement (due to the need for a traffic island to
separate the sets of conventional traffic lights) rather than just a
lane (where the public transport white signal can share the pole).

Neil

Are there any places in either London or further afield in the UK where
there are signals that differ from the regular road signals?

Old November 15th 16, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:10:13 on Tue, 15 Nov
2016, " remarked:
In UK law the white light signals are traffic lights that apply only
to trams, as opposed to the red/amber/green ones which apply to road
traffic other than trams.

Yes, I think that law needs to be changed, as it would allow bus-lane
overtakes without the need for a separating traffic island. Bus-lane
overtakes at junctions are about the most effective form of bus
infrastructure, and there are hardly any of them in the UK (though more
than there used to be) largely because they require about a lane and a
half's width to implement (due to the need for a traffic island to
separate the sets of conventional traffic lights) rather than just a
lane (where the public transport white signal can share the pole).

Are there any places in either London or further afield in the UK where
there are signals that differ from the regular road signals?

For buses or trams? I'd expect any tram network to have them. For two
examples of "escape lanes" (with slightly different signage):

https://goo.gl/maps/YJ9KEq7K92S2
https://goo.gl/maps/RF54zQUDUBP2
Old November 15th 16, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15.11.16 17:40, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I was referring to busses. I know that all trams have a separate
signalling system.
Old November 15th 16, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-11-15 17:10:13 +0000, said:

Are there any places in either London or further afield in the UK where
there are signals that differ from the regular road signals?

I have seen regular traffic lights with bus pictograms on the lenses,
but I forget where.

Neil
--
Neil Williams