Old December 11th 16, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Waterloo pl 20-24 building pictures

I took some pictures on Friday of the rebuilding work on Waterloo
platforms 20-24, formerly used by Eurostar:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673819851723

You can see how the buffer stops are being moved back 50m, to make
space for a new concourse and gate line (of course, e* trains are much
longer than any trains that will use these shortened platforms in the
future). The ramps at the platform ends are being demolished. The old
Eurostar concourse was at the lower level, which I believe will now be
converted into more retail space.

You can also see how the Eurostar platforms are a couple of metres
higher than the old ones, and I think this will remain the case.
Indeed, they may even be raised a bit more, to British rather than
European platform height, to facilitate step-free boarding. The bridge
over the new retail space, from the old concourse to the new one
(built over the eastern ends of the e* platforms), will therefore
slope up, which you can just about see in NR's artist's impression.

More surprisingly, I saw them laboriously removing and craning out
some of the large glass panes in the canopy. I'm guessing that this is
to get better access to the platforms during the construction work,
unless it's to create a new northern exit. Does anyone know better?

There is a tight deadline for this phase of the work, as platforms
21-24 will need to be used for 23 days in August 2017; they'll then be
closed again, till the project concludes at the end of 2018. Platform
20 will permanently return to use from February 2017, accessed as
before via platform 19.

Old December 11th 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
NY NY is offline

"Recliner" wrote in message
I took some pictures on Friday of the rebuilding work on Waterloo
platforms 20-24, formerly used by Eurostar:

Is the intention to use the new high-numbered platforms for the Reading and
the Windsor Riverside trains again, as they used to be before Eurostar
nobbled that space?

Old December 11th 16, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

NY wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
I took some pictures on Friday of the rebuilding work on Waterloo
platforms 20-24, formerly used by Eurostar:

Is the intention to use the new high-numbered platforms for the Reading and
the Windsor Riverside trains again, as they used to be before Eurostar
nobbled that space?

Yes, but I think that only platforms 20-21 existed originally; 22-24 were
added for Eurostar. So SWT will eventually get three more platforms than
existed pre-Eurostar.

Old December 11th 16, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11/12/2016 13:12, Recliner wrote:
Snip

You can also see how the Eurostar platforms are a couple of metres
higher than the old ones, and I think this will remain the case.
Indeed, they may even be raised a bit more, to British rather than
European platform height, to facilitate step-free boarding.

Snip

Is there really a British Standard for platform height?
I'm pretty sure I've never met two alike.

KW.

Old December 11th 16, 03:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ken Ward wrote:
On 11/12/2016 13:12, Recliner wrote:
Snip

You can also see how the Eurostar platforms are a couple of metres
higher than the old ones, and I think this will remain the case.
Indeed, they may even be raised a bit more, to British rather than
European platform height, to facilitate step-free boarding.

Snip

Is there really a British Standard for platform height?
I'm pretty sure I've never met two alike.

Yes:

"For new platforms and alterations (as defined) to existing platforms, the
height at the edge of the platform shall be 915 mm (within a tolerance of
+0 mm, -25 mm)."

Page 18 in
http://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/...%20Iss%202.pdf

Old December 11th 16, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 11/12/2016 16:26, Recliner wrote:
Ken Ward wrote:
On 11/12/2016 13:12, Recliner wrote:
Snip

You can also see how the Eurostar platforms are a couple of metres
higher than the old ones, and I think this will remain the case.
Indeed, they may even be raised a bit more, to British rather than
European platform height, to facilitate step-free boarding.

Snip

Is there really a British Standard for platform height?
I'm pretty sure I've never met two alike.

Yes:

"For new platforms and alterations (as defined) to existing platforms, the
height at the edge of the platform shall be 915 mm (within a tolerance of
+0 mm, -25 mm)."

Page 18 in
http://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/...%20Iss%202.pdf

That's good to know. A shame some of the extreme platforms don't warrant
some fixing. The bay at Whithaven needs wooden steps.

KW.
Old December 11th 16, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Very good. Thank you.
Old December 12th 16, 02:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2016\12\11 13:12, Recliner wrote:
I took some pictures on Friday of the rebuilding work on Waterloo
platforms 20-24, formerly used by Eurostar:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673819851723

Thanks.

I am amused by the massive girder with "DO NOT REMOVE" sprayed on it. It
suggests that the workers are just going around demolishing random stuff
without any plan.

Old December 12th 16, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12/12/16 03:07, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\12\11 13:12, Recliner wrote:
I took some pictures on Friday of the rebuilding work on Waterloo
platforms 20-24, formerly used by Eurostar:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673819851723

Thanks.

I am amused by the massive girder with "DO NOT REMOVE" sprayed on it. It
suggests that the workers are just going around demolishing random stuff
without any plan.

Never hurst to have a failsafe

My surgeon, when fixing a hernia, drew a massive arrow on one leg with a
magic marker, whilst I was still awake to confirm which bit he was
supposed to be fixing, before I was wheeled in. Makes sense as he was
spending all day doing those...
Old December 12th 16, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 10:43:39 on
Mon, 12 Dec 2016, Tim Watts remarked:

I am amused by the massive girder with "DO NOT REMOVE" sprayed on it. It
suggests that the workers are just going around demolishing random stuff
without any plan.

Never hurst to have a failsafe

My surgeon, when fixing a hernia, drew a massive arrow on one leg with
a magic marker, whilst I was still awake to confirm which bit he was
supposed to be fixing, before I was wheeled in. Makes sense as he was
spending all day doing those...

My understanding is that these days at least three people check that the
surgeon is about to cut the correct leg off the correct patient.
Including asking the patient.