London Banter

-   -   GOSPEL Electrification (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15252-gospel-electrification.html)

tim... February 15th 17 03:27 PM

Paris Shows The Way!

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:46:24 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:10:31 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:
On 2017-02-14 23:01:46 +0000, Richard J. said:

Ealing have been doing that for several years, e.g. the traffic lights
at the T-junction outside Acton Town station (opposite the entrance to
the LT Museum Depot) were replaced by a mini-roundabout and a zebra
crossing about 5 years ago.

Luton airport for years had a terrible congestion problem on a Monday
morning. This started happening soon after a set of traffic lights was
installed at the approach roundabout.

Putting traffic lights on roundabouts has always struck me as a
ridiculous
thing to do. Its as if the traffic planners didn't quite understand the
purpose of a roundabout or how it worked and assumed it was no different
to a 4 way junction. Once you've added the lights the roundabout is now
completely redundant and you'd probably get better traffic flow if you
did
replace it with a simple junction.

bit difficult to do when the roundabout is above a motorway junction

There will always be exceptions. But having roundabouts as motorway
junctions isn't a requirement.

well no

but we do have them

and IME they are invariable the ones where traffic lights have been
installed to "improve" flow

(admittedly not all of them are of the "above the motorway" variety)

tim

[email protected] February 15th 17 03:31 PM

Paris Shows The Way!

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:40:41 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 04:41:39 -0600
wrote:
If you made any attempt to understand traffic engineering, there are
conditions when roundabouts really don't work. If traffic levels are high
and flows unbalanced then some arms can't get out onto the roundabout
unless traffic lights are installed.

Translation:
"Just do what I do - read someone elses post then paraphrase and
pretend I knew it all along. Win!"

No. I have direct experience acquired over decades of hearing from traffic
engineers. It was pure coincidence that someone, probably with similar
experience, made similar comments which I only saw after posting mine.

Sure, complete coincidence. And no doubt you also aquired extensive experience
of air traffic control when you worked for Porcine Airlines.

--
Spud

[email protected] February 15th 17 09:16 PM

Paris Shows The Way!

In article ,

On 2017-02-15 15:02:33 +0000, Roland Perry said:

There will usually (always?) be two red lights. And in any event,
green doesn't mean "full steam ahead", rather than "proceed with
caution".

Yes, with road traffic there is, unlike railway signalling, nothing
ever that says it is absolutely safe to proceed. However, I suspect
most drivers don't treat it that way.

LEDs of course reduce the chance of this, and these days it should be
reasonably easily possible to make all the red lights provable and in
the absence of them all working turn them all off.

Pre-LED lights have a second (dimmer) filament which shows some light when
the main filament has failed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 16th 17 12:06 AM

Paris Shows The Way!

In article , d () wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:40:41 -0600
wrote:

wrote:
If you made any attempt to understand traffic engineering, there are
conditions when roundabouts really don't work. If traffic levels are
high and flows unbalanced then some arms can't get out onto the
roundabout unless traffic lights are installed.

Translation:
"Just do what I do - read someone elses post then paraphrase and
pretend I knew it all along. Win!"

No. I have direct experience acquired over decades of hearing from
traffic engineers. It was pure coincidence that someone, probably with
similar experience, made similar comments which I only saw after posting
mine.

Sure, complete coincidence. And no doubt you also aquired extensive
experience of air traffic control when you worked for Porcine
Airlines.

Do you accept information from anyone or just make silly comments all the
time?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 16th 17 09:04 AM

Paris Shows The Way!

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:25:14 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...

Or just have junctions with the american system of turn on red

which is complete useless at traffic light controlled roundabouts as all of
the traffic is nominally turning left

Do try and keep up. I was talking about if roundabouts were replaced with
junctions.

--
Spud

[email protected] February 16th 17 09:11 AM

Paris Shows The Way!

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:06:28 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:
Sure, complete coincidence. And no doubt you also aquired extensive
experience of air traffic control when you worked for Porcine
Airlines.

Do you accept information from anyone or just make silly comments all the
time?

When someone has used virtually identical phrases from someone elses post
made earlier after having not even broached the subject before and then
suddenly claims to have lots of experience in the matter you'll have to excuse
me if I take it with a whole salt mine.

--
Spud

Robin9 February 19th 17 05:42 PM

Both yesterday and today, and possibly earlier, two-car
DMUs have been travelling along the line, presumably for
driver training/route familiarisation purposes.

Strolling around Leytonstone this afternoon, I noticed that
three bridges in the elevated section in the Samson Road/
Montague Road area have been replaced.

Recliner[_3_] February 19th 17 08:45 PM

GOSPEL Electrification

Robin9 wrote:

Both yesterday and today, and possibly earlier, two-car
DMUs have been travelling along the line, presumably for
driver training/route familiarisation purposes.

Presumably the line's own 172s? They've been parked at Willesden during
the closure.

[email protected] February 20th 17 10:08 AM

GOSPEL Electrification

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:45:36 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

Both yesterday and today, and possibly earlier, two-car
DMUs have been travelling along the line, presumably for
driver training/route familiarisation purposes.

Presumably the line's own 172s? They've been parked at Willesden during
the closure.

I'm surprised TfL hasn't sold them given they'll be redundant on the LO
network when electrification is complete.

--
Spud

Roland Perry February 20th 17 10:37 AM

GOSPEL Electrification

In message , at 11:08:35 on Mon, 20 Feb
2017, d remarked:
Both yesterday and today, and possibly earlier, two-car
DMUs have been travelling along the line, presumably for
driver training/route familiarisation purposes.

Presumably the line's own 172s? They've been parked at Willesden during
the closure.

I'm surprised TfL hasn't sold them

I think the lessor (Angel Trains) would have something to say if TfL