London Banter

-   -   Oyster product pickup improvements (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15279-oyster-product-pickup-improvements.html)

Roland Perry March 1st 17 09:33 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at
01:40:04 on Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Matthew Dickinson
remarked:

One change will be that PAYG balances will no longer be displayed at the gateline or bus reader
(although low balance warnings might be pushed to gatelines and bus readers) which is one reason
why TfL want their own app up and running.

That's verging on the unacceptable. But conforms with my general theory
that new technology almost always introduces obstacles/drawbacks of its
very own, that were not in the previous revision.

My own classic Oyster occasionally flashes up a message about "your card
is about to expire", or something similar (if they want people to read
it they should display it longer). But it isn't, and the next gateline
won't repeat it. Mystery glitch perhaps.

Roland Perry March 1st 17 09:34 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 10:22:55 on Wed, 1 Mar
2017, Neil Williams remarked:

So they're removing an extremely useful piece of functionality? Seriously?
Doesn't surprise me given the ticket office closures. TfL seems to be
increasingly running things for the convenience of itself rather than the
passenger.

There will be advantages - weekly capping for one, not having to "pick
up" travel products another.

OK, so now we *have* found some features where the new Oyster card's
operation is different from the passenger's perception. I'm getting a
headache.

[email protected] March 1st 17 09:35 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:22:55 +0000
On 2017-03-01 10:19:02 +0000, d said:

So they're removing an extremely useful piece of functionality? Seriously?
Doesn't surprise me given the ticket office closures. TfL seems to be
increasingly running things for the convenience of itself rather than the
passenger.

There will be advantages - weekly capping for one, not having to "pick
up" travel products another.

Weekly capping doesn't help me if I find out too late I don't have enough
credit to make a journey when I could have topped up in a quiet time and now
have to go and queue in the rush hour.

Not sure what you're referring to with travel products.

--
Spud

David Walters March 1st 17 10:22 AM

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:33:01 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
My own classic Oyster occasionally flashes up a message about "your card
is about to expire", or something similar (if they want people to read
it they should display it longer). But it isn't, and the next gateline
won't repeat it. Mystery glitch perhaps.

That appears to be a bug with some of the gate software. The FOI obtained
copy of Ticketing & Revenue Update that started this thread has a Q&A
about it on page 13.

[email protected] March 1st 17 11:49 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 12:26:27 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
02:46:10 on Wed, 1 Mar 2017, remarked:

With the iPhone only being launched in 2007, and that itself being a
game-changer, I'm not convinced that Facebook as a medium for sharing
naked selfies and tales of drunken nights out was happening as early as
you suggest.

I've just checked my own facebook profile. It looks like I was mis-remembering slightly. My circle of friends from the time (I was a graduate student in those days) started joining in early 2006 (February and March), although I didn't actually sign up until summer 2006. Pretty much the only thing on any of our timelines for 2006 were invitations to, tales about and photographs of drunken nights out. The first I appeared in was 19 September 2006. Nothing too outrageous in my case, certainly nothing I'd be too worried about, say, my mum seeing.

Robin

Roland Perry March 1st 17 12:25 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at
04:49:30 on Wed, 1 Mar 2017, remarked:
With the iPhone only being launched in 2007, and that itself being a
game-changer, I'm not convinced that Facebook as a medium for sharing
naked selfies and tales of drunken nights out was happening as early as
you suggest.

I've just checked my own facebook profile. It looks like I was
mis-remembering slightly. My circle of friends from the time (I was a
graduate student in those days) started joining in early 2006 (February
and March), although I didn't actually sign up until summer 2006.
Pretty much the only thing on any of our timelines for 2006 were
invitations to, tales about and photographs of drunken nights out. The
first I appeared in was 19 September 2006. Nothing too outrageous in
my case, certainly nothing I'd be too worried about, say, my mum seeing.

Must be a local thing. The University Students I talked to around then
complained about being forced to join Facebook against their will
because Lecturers and Supervisors had taken to it as [the sole] way to
distribute schedules and course material.

I suppose this was ahead of the Universities setting up their own
Intranet based versions of the same thing.

Neil Williams March 1st 17 01:03 PM

On 2017-03-01 10:35:17 +0000, d said:

Not sure what you're referring to with travel products.

Prepurchased time-based tickets bought online, like period Travelcards.
Though I suppose if you added a monthly cap you could do away with
them.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] March 1st 17 02:37 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 28/02/2017 18:37,
wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 28/02/2017 16:58,
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:

Don't assume the gate processing won't get faster. Haven't you heard
of Moore's Law?

Moore's law has nothing to do with the speed of communications which
seems to be the limiting factor here - for Oyster the reader reads
it, calculated what needs to be applied and writes it, for
Contactless it reads it, and I believe checks with the back end
before allowing it, or if it doesn't the delay is to do with waking
up the NFC chip and carrying out the relevant authentication steps

-
again nothing to do with Moore's law.

Everything to do with it, I can assure you.

Really? That the time to deal with either an Oyster or Contactless
card is lower bounded due in signficant part to either CPU cycles or
die size?

All aspects of the system affect processing speed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] March 1st 17 03:17 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 09:37:46 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:
Really? That the time to deal with either an Oyster or Contactless
card is lower bounded due in signficant part to either CPU cycles or
die size?

All aspects of the system affect processing speed.

Ultimately though, a networked systems is constrained by the speed of data
on a copper wire or fibre optic cable and thats capped by physics.

--
Spud

Arthur Figgis March 1st 17 05:38 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On 01/03/2017 09:21, Roland Perry wrote:

If you want to discuss "early adopters of social media" instead,
then my view is that Facebook moved out of the early adopter phase
in 2009. I joined Facebook in June 2007.

When I was a student, c.1999 someone I vaguely knew set up a website
where people could upload newfangled digital photos relatively easily,
label their mates in them and generally cyberstalk people. If only I'd
given him a few quid to develop the idea further and introduce it to a
wider public...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK