London Banter

-   -   Oyster product pickup improvements (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15279-oyster-product-pickup-improvements.html)

Matthew Dickinson February 23rd 17 06:47 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20Redacted.pdf

[email protected] February 24th 17 06:40 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...41160/attach/3
/Issue%2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once, topping up
for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I can't even be sure
where I'll start an Oyster journey.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J.[_3_] February 24th 17 10:37 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...41160/attach/3
/Issue%2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once, topping up
for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I can't even be sure
where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.
--
Richard J.

Arthur Conan Doyle February 24th 17 02:52 PM

"Richard J." wrote:

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

Perhaps. I received a small post journey credit on a couple of Oyster cards that
apparently exceeded the daily cap one day. I nominated Edgware station thinking
I'd be back there soon, but haven't made it yet and haven't been concerned
enough to change the nomination.

[email protected] February 25th 17 01:29 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/3/Issue%
2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once,
topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I
can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim... February 25th 17 09:31 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

wrote in message
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/3/Issue%
2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent
out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once,
topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I
can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

me neither

the auto-top-up that works for me is

5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

tim

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 25th 17 11:00 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
[...]

My balance is almost always below £5.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry February 25th 17 11:14 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 10:31:05 on Sat, 25 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

me neither

the auto-top-up that works for me is

5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

Neil Williams February 25th 17 11:47 AM

On 2017-02-25 12:14:53 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

For anyone with a contactless card it's kind of losing its role anyway.
I cashed all my Oysters in and now just use contactless.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

tim... February 25th 17 12:01 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:31:05 on Sat, 25 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

me neither

the auto-top-up that works for me is

5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

tim

Roland Perry February 25th 17 02:24 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 13:01:52 on Sat, 25 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

the auto-top-up that works for me is
5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

How can a £5 auto-topup work for you when it doesn't exist?

tim... February 25th 17 04:18 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:01:52 on Sat, 25 Feb 2017,
tim... remarked:

the auto-top-up that works for me is
5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

How can a £5 auto-topup work for you when it doesn't exist?

there's nothing in my post that says it exists

tim

[email protected] February 25th 17 05:59 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:47:25 +0000
On 2017-02-25 12:14:53 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

For anyone with a contactless card it's kind of losing its role anyway.
I cashed all my Oysters in and now just use contactless.

Gotta love contactless. Chip and pin arrives - there being a damn good reason
for the PIN - then the banks decide they'll get more transactions if they
remove the PIN and pretend its not really needed after all. So why do I
need one if I put the card in the slot but not if I use contactless? What
exactly is the qualitative difference? Answer: there isn't one. But the
banks have convinced suckers theres no security risk with contactless. Ah
well, you can't educate pork. Must be a field day for card thieves.

--
Spud

Neil Williams February 25th 17 06:16 PM

On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000, d said:

Gotta love contactless. Chip and pin arrives - there being a damn good reason
for the PIN - then the banks decide they'll get more transactions if they
remove the PIN and pretend its not really needed after all. So why do I
need one if I put the card in the slot but not if I use contactless? What
exactly is the qualitative difference? Answer: there isn't one.

There's a *quantitative* difference, namely the £30 cap, and the fact
that if you do more than N transactions in a row the PIN will be called
for.

Yes, thieves could nick a wallet and go around spending about 5 x £30
(£150) with it before they had issues. But that's not going to, er,
break the bank. And if it did happen, the end customer is not liable.

It's basically making cards more of an effective replacement for cash,
and I encourage that, as cash is a faff (and encourages the black
market etc).

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] February 25th 17 06:39 PM

On 2017-02-25 12:14:53 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

For anyone with a contactless card it's kind of losing its role
anyway. I cashed all my Oysters in and now just use contactless.

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the railcard
discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 25th 17 06:52 PM

On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000,
d said:

[...]

While I agree with you, would a contactless card be declined at a TfL
gateline for lack of a PIN?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 25th 17 07:23 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:16:49 +0000
On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000, d said:

Gotta love contactless. Chip and pin arrives - there being a damn good reason
for the PIN - then the banks decide they'll get more transactions if they
remove the PIN and pretend its not really needed after all. So why do I
need one if I put the card in the slot but not if I use contactless? What
exactly is the qualitative difference? Answer: there isn't one.

There's a *quantitative* difference, namely the £30 cap, and the fact
that if you do more than N transactions in a row the PIN will be called
for.

For various values of N.

Yes, thieves could nick a wallet and go around spending about 5 x £30
(£150) with it before they had issues. But that's not going to, er,
break the bank. And if it did happen, the end customer is not liable.

Oh sure. All you have to do is get a crime number from plod then sit on an
0845 number going through half a dozen menus to eventually get through to
some gimp from india who you need to convince that you're not trying to
commit fraud. And then you might get your money back next week. Great so
long as you don't need it in the meantime.

It's basically making cards more of an effective replacement for cash,
and I encourage that, as cash is a faff (and encourages the black
market etc).

In what universe is cash a faff??

--
Spud

Clive Page[_3_] February 25th 17 08:33 PM

On 25/02/2017 19:39, wrote:

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the railcard
discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

What's changing in 2018?

--
Clive Page

Richard J.[_3_] February 25th 17 08:37 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
purchases within 30 minutes, and without having to nominate a
particular station. It will also be possible to pick up purchases on
buses.

TfL are also planning to introduce an Oyster app to complement this
improvement.

Details are at:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/3/Issue%
2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent out-of-London
users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline too once,
topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in Cambridge I
can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some value
in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would you lose
by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

--
Richard J.

[email protected] February 26th 17 12:03 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...60/attach/3/Is

sue%2095%20Redacted.pdf

Hooray! The current rules are an utter pain for infrequent
out-of-London users like me. I got caught out by the evening deadline
too once, topping up for a planned journey the next day. Living in
Cambridge I can't even be sure where I'll start an Oyster journey.

If you used Auto Top-up, you wouldn't have that problem.

I don't use Oyster enough to justify lending TfL so much money.

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some
value in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would
you lose by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

They rules are not that difficult to work around, especially now I go to
King's Cross so much less. I used to have to ensure I kept a balance big
enough to get through the gates there to avoid the hideous queues at the
ticket machines. It's just easier to top up from the comfort of my home
though.

More often than not I have my bike with me and don't use the tube.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 26th 17 12:03 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

On 25/02/2017 19:39,
wrote:

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the
railcard discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way to
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry February 26th 17 07:44 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 17:18:33 on Sat, 25 Feb
2017, tim... remarked:

the auto-top-up that works for me is
5 pounds added when it goes below 5 pounds

Only £20 or £40 is available currently, and the trigger is £10.

yes

that's the point!

How can a £5 auto-topup work for you when it doesn't exist?

there's nothing in my post that says it exists

your saying "works", rather than "would work".

Roland Perry February 26th 17 07:50 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 21:37:12 on Sat, 25
Feb 2017, Richard J. remarked:

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some value
in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would you lose
by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

I top up my Oyster manually when it gets to about £2. The only use I
have for it is two Z1 singles. The issue with pre-paid one-function
cards is that you can easily end up with a lot of them. A provincial bus
card being one example.

It's like those coffee-shop cardboard loyalty cards - when I buy a
coffee there's rarely a choice of vendor, so I'd need to be carrying
around half a dozen cards all the time.

Guy Gorton[_3_] February 26th 17 08:59 AM

On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000, d said:

[...]

Cash is so simple and fast. Perhaps not as fast as contactless but I
will not use contactless for lots of reasons. I have two such cards
and hope, when they are replaced to get new cards without that
dangerous and vulnerable feature.
Do you and others that use traceable payments not value just a tiny
bit of privacy? I have 4 credit cards (and a debit card) each used
for very specific purposes so no one creditor knows all about me.

Guy Gorton

tim... February 26th 17 11:59 AM

Neil Williams wrote:
On 2017-02-25 18:59:08 +0000, d said:

[...]

Oh no you don't

then sit on an
0845 number going through half a dozen menus to eventually get through to
some gimp from india who you need to convince that you're not trying to
commit fraud. And then you might get your money back next week.

that's probably true :-(

tim

tim... February 26th 17 12:01 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

"Richard J." wrote in message
wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
[...]

what pain is that

going up to a machine and adding 5 pounds at the time that is convenient

tim

Neil Williams February 26th 17 01:23 PM

On 2017-02-26 09:59:24 +0000, Guy Gorton said:

Cash is so simple and fast. Perhaps not as fast as contactless but I
will not use contactless for lots of reasons. I have two such cards
and hope, when they are replaced to get new cards without that
dangerous and vulnerable feature.

It is not a dangerous and vulnerable feature. It is in fact a lot less
risky than having £150 cash in your wallet (the approximate most you
can spend on a card without hitting a PIN check). But unlike £150
cash, if that happens you'll get the money back - the vendor loses out,
not you.

Do you and others that use traceable payments not value just a tiny
bit of privacy? I have 4 credit cards (and a debit card) each used
for very specific purposes so no one creditor knows all about me.

I'm not very interesting, really (or rather my spending pattern isn't).
FWIW, that expectation of privacy seems to reduce further still the
younger people you speak to.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams February 26th 17 01:25 PM

On 2017-02-26 12:59:28 +0000, tim... said:

Oh sure. All you have to do is get a crime number from plod

Oh no you don't

then sit on an
0845 number going through half a dozen menus to eventually get through to
some gimp from india who you need to convince that you're not trying to
commit fraud. And then you might get your money back next week.

that's probably true :-(

I've been hit by (pre-C&P) card fraud twice. In both cases, it was the
bank that pointed it out to me, by phoning and asking if I really did
make certain transactions.

I get an automated call like that every now and then if my spending
pattern is in any way out of character.

While if I have £100 in my wallet, and my wallet is nicked, my £100 is
gone for good.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry February 26th 17 02:18 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 14:23:40 on Sun, 26
Feb 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Do you and others that use traceable payments not value just a tiny
bit of privacy? I have 4 credit cards (and a debit card) each used
for very specific purposes so no one creditor knows all about me.

I'm not very interesting, really (or rather my spending pattern isn't).
FWIW, that expectation of privacy seems to reduce further still the
younger people you speak to.

That's because they are young and dumb.

Neil Williams February 26th 17 03:01 PM

On 2017-02-26 15:18:40 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 14:23:40 on Sun, 26
Feb 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Do you and others that use traceable payments not value just a tiny
bit of privacy? I have 4 credit cards (and a debit card) each used
for very specific purposes so no one creditor knows all about me.

I'm not very interesting, really (or rather my spending pattern isn't).
FWIW, that expectation of privacy seems to reduce further still the
younger people you speak to.

That's because they are young and dumb.

No, it's because attitudes are shifting.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Clive Page[_3_] February 26th 17 09:46 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On 26/02/2017 01:03, wrote:
In article ,
(Clive Page)
wrote:

On 25/02/2017 19:39,
wrote:

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the
railcard discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way to
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Isn't it more likely that they will get rid of the railcard discounts
from Oyster cards as well?

--
Clive Page

[email protected] February 27th 17 12:19 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
wrote on 25 Feb 2017 at 02:29 ...
In article ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 24 Feb 2017 at 07:40 ...
In article ,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

From this April it should be possible to pick up online Oyster
[...]

You're not familiar with the queues at machines at some stations? The only
times that are convenient are the times when one is passing through the
station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 27th 17 12:19 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 21:37:12 on Sat, 25
Feb 2017, Richard J. remarked:

But if "the current rules are an utter pain", there must be some value
in a scheme which avoids the pain. So how much interest would you lose
by lending TfL £20? Isn't it worth it to avoid the utter pain?

I top up my Oyster manually when it gets to about £2. The only use I
have for it is two Z1 singles. The issue with pre-paid one-function
cards is that you can easily end up with a lot of them. A provincial
bus card being one example.

It's like those coffee-shop cardboard loyalty cards - when I buy a
coffee there's rarely a choice of vendor, so I'd need to be carrying
around half a dozen cards all the time.

My usage is so irregular I just add £5 usually, occasionally just a bit of
small change, to cover my immediate needs. My most recent usage days were a
long series between 29th October and 1st December (11 days in all which some
of you might guess the reason for), before that 15th September, 2nd August
and 23rd April. Before that the last use was in 2015. Looking at the history
I am reminded of another reason I'm glad that the crediting system has
improved. I had a refund in 2015 due to the Heathrow T5 gates not
communicating properly (my wife had a similar problem there in the other
direction on the same trip) and arranging to pick it up was a right hassle.
Nowadays they can just credit your bank account.

I see I also got some odd messages and history records at North Sheen where
the ticket machines are inside the ticket barriers and I topped up between
entry and exit, something Oyster isn't really designed to do.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 27th 17 12:26 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In article , (Clive Page)
wrote:

On 26/02/2017 01:03,
wrote:
In article ,

(Clive Page) wrote:

On 25/02/2017 19:39,
wrote:

That's fine until you get a railcard. Then the only way to get the
railcard discount is to use Oyster, until 2018 at least.

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a
way to deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Isn't it more likely that they will get rid of the railcard discounts
from Oyster cards as well?

I don't think the TOCs will let them. I think giving railcard discounts was
a condition for extending Oyster to National Rail in London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] February 27th 17 08:39 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:59:24 +0000
Guy Gorton wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:16:49 +0000, Neil Williams
It's basically making cards more of an effective replacement for cash,
and I encourage that, as cash is a faff (and encourages the black
market etc).

Neil

Cash is so simple and fast. Perhaps not as fast as contactless but I
will not use contactless for lots of reasons. I have two such cards
and hope, when they are replaced to get new cards without that
dangerous and vulnerable feature.

Contactless is easy to disable. Just cut horizontally for about 1.5cm inwards
from the right hand side of the card. I've done it to all of mine so they'll
be of little use if nicked plus it has the added bonus of me not having to
drag my oyster card out of my wallet at every tube gate because of card clash.

--
Spud

[email protected] February 27th 17 08:40 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 12:59:28 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
Oh sure. All you have to do is get a crime number from plod

Oh no you don't

I imagine it depends on the bank. Using someone elses card without permission
is fraud and the police probably would want it reported anyway though perhaps
some banks wouldn't.

--
Spud

Jarle Hammen Knudsen February 27th 17 07:23 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:03:52 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Clive Page)
wrote:

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way to
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for
one will be gone in a year's time?

--
jhk

Michael R N Dolbear February 27th 17 10:21 PM

Oyster product pickup improvements

"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote

What's changing in 2018?

Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for

one will be gone in a year's time?

My understanding is that current Oyster cards will be dealt with as now,
newly issued Oyster cards will be contactless style.

--
Mike D

[email protected] February 28th 17 08:38 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:21:38 -0000
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote

What's changing in 2018?
Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find a way
deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for

one will be gone in a year's time?

My understanding is that current Oyster cards will be dealt with as now,
newly issued Oyster cards will be contactless style.

Err, Oyster have been contactless since they were introduced.

--
Spud

Roland Perry February 28th 17 08:45 AM

Oyster product pickup improvements

In message , at 09:38:56 on Tue, 28 Feb
2017, d remarked:

What's changing in 2018?
Oyster will become like Contactless so presumably they have to find
a way to deal with railcard discounts in the back office system.

Why are they spending money on a fast pickup feature when the need for

one will be gone in a year's time?

My understanding is that current Oyster cards will be dealt with as now,
newly issued Oyster cards will be contactless style.

Err, Oyster have been contactless since they were introduced.

I read the comment as meaning the "new" Oyster card will be in effect a
contactless pre-paid credit card with zero credit loaded, but an
arrangement to auto-topup from a bank account by the exact amount of any
journeys made.