London Banter

-   -   Woking to Heathrow (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15301-woking-heathrow.html)

Michael R N Dolbear April 1st 17 11:12 PM

Woking to Heathrow

"Theo" wrote

Woking-Clapham Junction

Clapham Junction-Feltham
285 bus to LHR

is the most obvious alternative, though somewhat slow.

Guildford-Worcester Park

X26 bus to LHR

is one I haven't tried.

I suspect if the M25 is borked then Woking to Heathrow is going to be

difficult whatever. Staying on the train and getting off a Surbiton (if it
stops) then taking a taxi might be one way to avoid it.

Bus (any) Surbiton to Kingston then X26 to LHR is workable.

Rail via Weybridge to Egham or Staines then, eg 441 bus works but Feltham is
faster.

--
Mike D

Theo[_2_] April 2nd 17 01:02 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In uk.railway Recliner wrote:
I'm not sure if this applies in the UK:

Uber requires all of their drivers to have car insurance, and provides
supplemental insurance coverage, but only while the app is on.

Here’s how it works: When the Uber app is off, a driver is covered by their
own personal car insurance. When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of
liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level
of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the
vehicle. Previously Uber had only offered coverage when a passenger was in
the car, but the company updated their policy after a series of accidents
which resulted in various lawsuits.

I suspect, but don't know, that insurance companies won't see it that way.
For instance, you get a job that takes you a long way from home and then you
'clock off'. I suspect the insurance company would not count the return
journey as 'commuting', because that journey was generated by the job that
you picked up, even if you're not technically working at that point.
Typically insurance policies define it as 'commuting to a single place of
work', which this isn't. I don't know if the deadheading parts are
acceptable as business miles on conventional insurance policies.

In the employees-not-contractors case, the judge allowed the time from
turning on the app to getting a job as working time for hours calculations,
but not the time to commute from outside of London to the edge of the Uber
zone (I think the example was Southampton to Woking or thereabouts). I
don't think you'd get away with saying your single place of work was Greater
London.

Theo

Recliner[_3_] April 2nd 17 01:30 AM

Woking to Heathrow

Theo wrote:
[...]

No, Uber drivers need to have the same (expensive) private hire insurance
as any other minicab:

Quote:

Uber drivers require private hire vehicle insurance with hire and reward.
This level of cover ensures both the vehicle and passengers are covered in
the event of an accident.

http://www.staveleyhead.co.uk/commer...insurance/uber

Quote:

What kind of taxi insurance do Uber drivers need?

If you are an Uber driver then you need to have commercial taxi insurance.
A normal car insurance policy would be insufficient and is likely to be
voided in the event that you have an accident while driving for Uber.

Even if Uber doesn’t classify itself as a taxi service, and refers to its
drivers as ‘your friend with a car’, the fact is that if you are picking up
passengers for financial reward at a pre-booked location, you are
effectively a private hire taxi driver. A private hire taxi insurance
policy is therefore a legal requirement to cover your vehicle usage. And
getting the right type of insurance is down to you – not Uber.

It is particularly important that you have public liability cover as part
of your policy, as otherwise you could be liable for all compensation costs
should a passenger or a third party be injured.

While Uber and similar services remain in a grey area for now and the laws
surrounding it are likely to change in coming years, the best advice for
Uber drivers for now is to make sure that their insurance policy is
correct.

From:
http://parkinsurance.co.uk/uber-driv...axi-insurance/

tim... April 2nd 17 10:11 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

because that's what you did when I questioned the possibility that Uber
might fail in an earlier discussion

you used the spurious argument that some large company (Amazon was it)
had
invested and they wouldn't be investing in a company that might fail.

No, it has the backing of large VC funds,

no you didn't, you named a specific HITech company - thinking more it was
probably Google

which Amazon is not. Don't you
know the difference?

Don't be silly

It is well know that all of the major HiTech companies invest in new starts
ups, separate from their trading operations.

They are awash with money, they have to do something with it.

And I didn't discuss whether might one day fail to repay their investment.

Yes you did - you told me I was an idiot for even considering the
possibility.

What I pointed out was that losing lots of money at this stage in its life
was all part of the business plan, which its investors fully understood
and
supported.

Nope, that wasn't the conversation at all

If you want an example of an over-hyped company with an absurd valuation,
which also loses money hand over fist, look at Tesla.

Oh you agree then, I have been saying that for ages

On that basis you should hold the opinion that none of these billion
dollar
companies can fail because it is 100% certain that all of them have the
backing of some large company or other

No. It just means you don't understand the difference between trading
companies and investment funds.

Nonsense

You clearly said that the company wouldn't fail because some other company
had invested 100s of millions in it, and they wouldn't have done that if
there was a possibility it might fail. And you called me an idiot for
thinking otherwise.

The names of the companies here are irrelevant. The point that you made at
the time stood on its own merits (or not) without them.

tim... April 2nd 17 10:13 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"D A Stocks" wrote in message
"Arthur Conan Doyle" wrote in message
"D A Stocks" wrote:

if my initial experience is
anything to go by, nicer cars, nicer drivers and cheaper. What's not
like?

I used Uber Lux for a ride across London recently. Very nice. Wondered
if
the
driver was doing a little moonlighting with his employer's vehicle, but
that's
his business.

I'm not sure if the rules for Uber Lux are different, but my
understanding
is that Uber drivers use their own vehicles.

FSVO

The point about Uber's model is that they don't own them

but that doesn't mean that the driver does either - he could be
"borrowing"
it

(FTAOD - I'm not making some pedantic point about Lease-Hire)

The driver can't just turn up in a random borrowed vehicle.

who said it was "randomly borrowed"

Uber must
approve, and knows exactly what car he drives. It presumably does some
checks on its ownership,

really - why on earth would it need to do that?

suitability,

this is just a case of looking at the marque and the age

whether it's licensed and insured for
private hire, etc.

Isn't this in the drivers name?

tim

tim... April 2nd 17 10:14 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 20:19:18 on Sat, 1 Apr 2017, Recliner
remarked:
The point about Uber's model is that they don't own them

but that doesn't mean that the driver does either - he could be
"borrowing"
it

(FTAOD - I'm not making some pedantic point about Lease-Hire)

The driver can't just turn up in a random borrowed vehicle. Uber must
approve, and knows exactly what car he drives. It presumably does some
checks on its ownership, suitability, whether it's licensed and insured
for
private hire, etc.

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And reportedly
the problem with insurance is they don't track cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

tim

tim... April 2nd 17 10:16 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Theo" wrote in message
[...]

There are people who drive from Southampton to London to work as Uber
drivers

no wonder they don't cover their costs

(Why can't they just work as a mini-cab in Southampton?)

tim

tim... April 2nd 17 10:18 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:48:05 on Sat, 1 Apr 2017,
tim... remarked:
I'm not sure if the rules for Uber Lux are different, but my
understanding is that Uber drivers use their own vehicles.

FSVO

The point about Uber's model is that they don't own them

but that doesn't mean that the driver does either - he could be
"borrowing" it

See "and thus a lack of insurance".

Can you not get private hire add-on insurance for a car that you do not own?

Surely the assessable additional part of the risk here sits with the driver.

tim

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 11:02 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message 576780849.512775565.610417.recliner.ng-
, at 21:44:09 on Sat, 1 Apr
2017, Recliner remarked:
The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And reportedly
the problem with insurance is they don't track cancellations and
renewals.

Do you have a link for that?

I'm not sure if this applies in the UK:

Uber requires all of their drivers to have car insurance, and provides
supplemental insurance coverage, but only while the app is on.

Here’s how it works: When the Uber app is off, a driver is covered by their
own personal car insurance. When the Uber app is turned on, a low level of
liability insurance becomes active. When a trip is accepted, a higher level
of coverage kicks in and remains active until the passenger exits the
vehicle. Previously Uber had only offered coverage when a passenger was in
the car, but the company updated their policy after a series of accidents
which resulted in various lawsuits.

From
https://www.answerfinancial.com/insurance-center/how-does-car-insurance-work-for-uber-drivers

Also see
http://www.gocompare.com/taxi-insurance/uber-and-other-ride-sharing-apps/#2YBrm8moZhlIIt7v.97

Why did Uber conduct a campaign against this, and decline to comment to
the paper, if "we already have hire and reward operator insurance", was
the case?

http://www.cityam.com/249983/london-...ites-uber-and-
other-private-hire

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 11:03 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 01:30:12 on Sun, 2 Apr 2017, Recliner
remarked:

If you are an Uber driver then you need to have commercial taxi insurance.
A normal car insurance policy would be insufficient and is likely to be
voided in the event that you have an accident while driving for Uber.

Even if Uber doesn’t classify itself as a taxi service, and refers to its
drivers as ‘your friend with a car’, the fact is that if you are picking up
passengers for financial reward at a pre-booked location, you are
effectively a private hire taxi driver.

But hat if they don't - who is checking?

A private hire taxi insurance policy is therefore a legal requirement
to cover your vehicle usage. And getting the right type of insurance is
down to you - not Uber.

That answers the supposed Uber-provided supplemental insurance then.

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 11:22 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:14:10 on Sun, 2 Apr 2017,
tim... remarked:

The point about Uber's model is that they don't own them

but that doesn't mean that the driver does either - he could be
"borrowing"
it

(FTAOD - I'm not making some pedantic point about Lease-Hire)

The driver can't just turn up in a random borrowed vehicle. Uber must
approve, and knows exactly what car he drives. It presumably does some
checks on its ownership, suitability, whether it's licensed and
insured for
private hire, etc.

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on average
for each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 11:24 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:18:38 on Sun, 2 Apr 2017,
tim... remarked:
I'm not sure if the rules for Uber Lux are different, but my
understanding is that Uber drivers use their own vehicles.

FSVO

The point about Uber's model is that they don't own them

but that doesn't mean that the driver does either - he could be
"borrowing" it

See "and thus a lack of insurance".

Can you not get private hire add-on insurance for a car that you do not own?

You might be able to, if you declare the vehicle.

Surely the assessable additional part of the risk here sits with the driver.

The vehicle will make a difference too. A minibus, versus a Toyota
versus a Jag.

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 11:36 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 18:05:09
on Sat, 1 Apr 2017, remarked:
In this country any hire car is subject to local authority licensing and
testing.

Although reportedly TfL is overwhelmed by the number of Uber cars
being brought into the system, and may not be checking as thoroughly
as they could.

That may be the legislation in London, different from that in the rest of
the country, not being fit for purpose.

TfL is simply failing to cope with the doubling of the number of such
vehicles in a couple of years.

[email protected] April 2nd 17 11:45 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 2nd 17 11:51 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
18:05:09 on Sat, 1 Apr 2017,
remarked:
In this country any hire car is subject to local authority licensing
and testing.

Although reportedly TfL is overwhelmed by the number of Uber cars
being brought into the system, and may not be checking as thoroughly
as they could.

That may be the legislation in London, different from that in the rest
of the country, not being fit for purpose.

TfL is simply failing to cope with the doubling of the number of such
vehicles in a couple of years.

Elsewhere that might be the Uber cars' problem.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Graham Harrison[_3_] April 2nd 17 11:54 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 09:47:12 +0100, e27002 aurora
wrote:

OK, so I have had it with the Woking RailAir coach link. I need an
alternative means of reaching the airport. Train from the South Coast
to Woking is fine. But what are the alternatives for reaching the
airport?

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

There are very good reasons to go to Heathrow - I still go there to
catch long haul flights. I'm prepared to put up with GWR to Reading
then the bus to get a non stop flight. Equally Gatwick sometimes via
Reading.

That said, going from Bristol, Southampton or Exeter (all
possibilities for me) means a shorter and easier journey at the UK end
but for long haul will mean a chage of plane somewhere.

Are you in a position to make somekind of trade off and use either
Southampton or Gatwick?

Graeme Wall April 2nd 17 12:07 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 02/04/2017 11:16, tim... wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
[...]

The money is better than here perhaps. Also some local mini-cab
companies have embraced Uber and have the infrastructure to play it both
ways as required.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Graeme Wall April 2nd 17 12:12 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

OK, so I have had it with the Woking RailAir coach link. I need an
alternative means of reaching the airport. Train from the South Coast
to Woking is fine. But what are the alternatives for reaching the
airport?

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

There are very good reasons to go to Heathrow - I still go there to
catch long haul flights. I'm prepared to put up with GWR to Reading
then the bus to get a non stop flight. Equally Gatwick sometimes via
Reading.

That said, going from Bristol, Southampton or Exeter (all
possibilities for me) means a shorter and easier journey at the UK end
but for long haul will mean a chage of plane somewhere.

Are you in a position to make somekind of trade off and use either
Southampton or Gatwick?

No flights from Southampton to the US.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Recliner[_3_] April 2nd 17 02:28 PM

Woking to Heathrow

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

[...]

That's definitely not the way I remember it. You're going to have to dig up
the thread if you want to pursue this.

Recliner[_3_] April 2nd 17 02:28 PM

Woking to Heathrow

tim... wrote:

[...]

Yes, they apparently contact the insurance company the driver claimed to
have a policy with, and they could ask to be informed if the policy lapsed.
That may be even be available online.

Graham Harrison[_3_] April 2nd 17 02:33 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

OK, so I have had it with the Woking RailAir coach link. I need an
alternative means of reaching the airport. Train from the South Coast
to Woking is fine. But what are the alternatives for reaching the
airport?

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

There are very good reasons to go to Heathrow - I still go there to
catch long haul flights. I'm prepared to put up with GWR to Reading
then the bus to get a non stop flight. Equally Gatwick sometimes via
Reading.

That said, going from Bristol, Southampton or Exeter (all
possibilities for me) means a shorter and easier journey at the UK end
but for long haul will mean a chage of plane somewhere.

Are you in a position to make somekind of trade off and use either
Southampton or Gatwick?

No flights from Southampton to the US.

Not non-stop but by the time you've got to Heathrow (much less fought
your way through) you could be through Southampton and en-route to
Paris (as an example) to get a flight to the USA. And Gatwick does
have flights to the US (albeit, not many).

(Let's face it any long haul from Southampton means changing planes in
Europe somewhere).

Personally, I'd prefer the non-stop from Heathrow but that doesn't
mean our OP might not be prepared to avoid Heathrow.

Graeme Wall April 2nd 17 02:55 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

[...]

The problem is most Paris - US flights use Charles de Gaulle and flights
from Southampton go to Orly. So no advantage. Years ago Air France did
operate a link between Southampton and CdG but that was best part of 30
years ago.

And Gatwick does
have flights to the US (albeit, not many).

(Let's face it any long haul from Southampton means changing planes in
Europe somewhere).

Personally, I'd prefer the non-stop from Heathrow but that doesn't
mean our OP might not be prepared to avoid Heathrow.

I gather Adrian's complaint is not so much about using Heathrow as the
bus service from Woking which is fairly poor for such an important link.
The NRE website doesn't even give it as an option travelling from
Portsmouth

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 04:16 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 06:45:45
on Sun, 2 Apr 2017, remarked:
https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on average
for each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

Uber isn't able to do such prosecutions.

[email protected] April 2nd 17 05:29 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
06:45:45 on Sun, 2 Apr 2017,
remarked:
https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track
cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on average
for each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

No, but the licensing authorities and police are.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 05:31 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 12:29:00
on Sun, 2 Apr 2017, remarked:
https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track
cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted to

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on average
for each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

No, but the licensing authorities and police are.

Why would Uber snitch on their customers (and make no mistake, Uber's
customers are the drivers, passengers are the customers of the drivers).

Graham Harrison[_3_] April 2nd 17 05:58 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

[...]

I think you need to update your knowledge. Flybe operate
Southampton/Charles de Gaulle.

But the precise detail isn't the issue. What I'm suggesting is that
by using a different airport and therefore avoiding the
Woking/Heathrow bus It MIGHT (and I stress might) be that the total
journey from home to destination could be as quick and less stressful.
The precise combination is going to depend on the actual start and end
points.

Whilst NRE says Portsmouth/Heathrow via Woking can be done in as
little as 2hrs 15 mins it also tells me that changing at Winchester
Birmingham International is 3hrs 15mins. If the Woking link is so
unreliable some people might argue that XC is a better bet and if the
flight times mesh with the flights a less congested airport such as
Birmingham (and even less congested, Southampton) might provide an
equivalent journey even allowing for the extra hour to get to
Birmingham and (depending on the destination) having to change en
route when Heathrow might be non-stop.

It could even be cheaper. When I was booking London/San Francisco
return last year a chance remark had me look at Manchester/London/San
Francisco. That was cheaper even though I was using the same flights
LON/SFO/LON. Aren't market forces wonderful?!

Her's a final thing. If you're going on holiday to Argentina and one
of the places you wnt to go to is Iguassu how do you get there? I
was so fixated on Argentina that I was assuming fly to Buenos Aires
then back to Iguassu. It wasn't until the agency I was using
suggested it that I realised a better way was London/Sao
Paulo/Iguassu, stay on the Brazilian side and then get a transfer to
the Argentine airport to continue to BA and, after touring othe bits
of Argentina fly non stop back to London.

A bit of flexibility and thinking a little out of the box can
sometimes bear fruit.

Graeme Wall April 2nd 17 06:20 PM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

[...]

That's fairly recent, thanks for the update. Ignore my remarks then.

[snip]

Her's a final thing. If you're going on holiday to Argentina and one
of the places you wnt to go to is Iguassu how do you get there? I
was so fixated on Argentina that I was assuming fly to Buenos Aires
then back to Iguassu. It wasn't until the agency I was using
suggested it that I realised a better way was London/Sao
Paulo/Iguassu, stay on the Brazilian side and then get a transfer to
the Argentine airport to continue to BA and, after touring othe bits
of Argentina fly non stop back to London.

When we go to Buenos Aires we are visiting her indoors' rellies, so tend
to go direct there and then travel on later, which is the practical
option anyway of heading south or west. Last time we did Iguacu we took
a long distance bus from BA that does an overnight run. It's better
than it sounds, the initial bit out to Zarate to cross the Parana river
is quite interesting but then it gets fairly boring until you are most
of the way there, that's the bit you do at night.

Also when we did it, open-jaw tickets were very expensive.[1] The
modern system of booking each leg separately makes it a much more
economical proposition to do it the way you did.

PS Hope you enjoyed the trip, Iguacu is much more impressive than Niagara.

[1] At the time straightforward return tickets weren't particularly
cheap either.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

D A Stocks[_2_] April 2nd 17 06:35 PM

Woking to Heathrow

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

A bit of flexibility and thinking a little out of the box can
sometimes bear fruit.

One possibility may be to fly via Dublin or Shannon. You can pre-clear US
immigration and customs (you arrive in the USA as a domestic flight) and,
with a bit of creative ticketing, you can save a small fortune on UK
departure tax.

--
DAS

Roland Perry April 2nd 17 06:56 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 18:58:17 on
Sun, 2 Apr 2017, Graham Harrison
remarked:
It could even be cheaper. When I was booking London/San Francisco
return last year a chance remark had me look at Manchester/London/San
Francisco. That was cheaper even though I was using the same flights
LON/SFO/LON. Aren't market forces wonderful?!

That's because you were in fact paying the "right" price, and people
paying more were mainly doing so for the perceived benefit of both a
direct flight and easier access (for them) because it's Heathrow.

Market forces do play a small part in that the airline would prefer to
sell the lucrative trans-atlantic leg to a passenger they subsidise on
the domestic leg, rather than have them fly from Manchester direct to
the USA on different airline, leaving them an empty seat.

There's also a certain amount of "no-one got fired buying a direct
ticket on a well known airline from Heathrow" effect.

Charles Ellson[_2_] April 2nd 17 08:28 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 12:22:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[...]

Presuming lack of access to insurers' databases then that depends on
production of paperwork for policies which could have been since
cancelled.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] April 2nd 17 08:58 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
12:29:00 on Sun, 2 Apr 2017,
remarked:
https://www.uber.com/en-GB/drive/lon...-requirements/

The main complaint is that they don't (do much checking). And
reportedly the problem with insurance is they don't track
cancellations

I'm not even sure there's a mechanism for that even if they wanted

They could do spot checks on the drivers, say once a month on
averagefor each, and blacklist the ones without insurance.

I think you mean take them to court to get 6 points on their licence?

No, but the licensing authorities and police are.

Why would Uber snitch on their customers (and make no mistake, Uber's
customers are the drivers, passengers are the customers of the
drivers).

Because the consequences of them being found out covering up such illegality
will have far more serious consequences for their business than jettisoning
the odd driver or two.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

e27002 aurora[_2_] April 3rd 17 07:48 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 01:15:45 +0100, Graham Nye

On 2017-04-01 11:07, e27002 aurora wrote:
e27002 aurora wrote:

OK, so I have had it with the Woking RailAir coach link. I need an
alternative means of reaching the airport. Train from the South Coast
to Woking is fine. But what are the alternatives for reaching the
airport?

Starting from the Portsmouth area.

The national rail journey planner suggests a number of options - Waterloo,
Paddington, Heathrow or Southampton, Reading, the other railair coach.

If you're going to do part of the journey by coach you could do the whole
journey by National Express - half an hour longer but a quarter of the
rail price. That's what I do from the West Country rather than messing
around at Reading.

(Travelling off-peak from Portsmouth Harbour seems to save a whole 3%
off the anytime fare. How generous.)

Using Portsmouth Harbour would mean travelling in the opposite
direction, probably be rail! But that one might be doable.

The sanest suggestion is to travel to Waterloo, then taxi to
Paddington, then Heathrow Express. But, if I use a taxi to cross
central London, I may as well use one from Woking and save an hour.

e27002 aurora[_2_] April 3rd 17 07:51 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:15:44 +0100, "D A Stocks"
wrote:

"e27002 aurora" wrote in message
.. .

Uber first became available in Brighton and Hove about a year ago but when I
tried it soon after the launch there were never any drivers available, so I
have always used one of the local taxi firms booking by phone from home or
by taking a taxi off the rank from a local station. However, when I arrived
at Brighton Station last Thursday evening the length of queue at the rank
suggested it would be at least 10-15 minutes before I would get a ride (for
a 5 minute journey); this is because the daft queuing system only allows 1
or 2 taxis to load at a time, leading to long queues of both passengers and
taxis at busy times.

I fired up the Uber app and there were cars available within a couple of
minutes from a pick-up point just outside the station so I went for it. The
driver told me there are now around 90 drivers operating in the area, and
the fare was quite a bit less than a metered taxi. I may well take another
look at Uber when I make the reverse journey at 5.00 am on Monday morning:
no more messing about with cash and and, if my initial experience is
anything to go by, nicer cars, nicer drivers and cheaper. What's not to
like?

App now installed on my Android.

tim... April 3rd 17 08:00 AM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

I think you need to update your knowledge. Flybe operate
Southampton/Charles de Gaulle.

But it's not a good idea booking a transatlantic fight (any long haul) using
a non-inline connection

the costs of your local flight being late/cancelled are too large

tim

tim... April 3rd 17 08:03 AM

Woking to Heathrow

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

[...]

well I guessed that they could do that

I just thought that doing that for 10,000 drivers, once a month (say) was
going to be too much aggro for both parties

and they could ask to be informed if the policy lapsed.
That may be even be available online.

It was this that I didn't thing was available

tim

tim... April 3rd 17 08:04 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-01 11:07, e27002 aurora wrote:
e27002 aurora wrote:

[...]

why would you get a taxi from Waterloo to Padd when there's a direct tube
line?

tim

Graeme Wall April 3rd 17 08:17 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 03/04/2017 09:00, tim... wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I think you need to update your knowledge. Flybe operate
Southampton/Charles de Gaulle.

But it's not a good idea booking a transatlantic fight (any long haul)
using a non-inline connection

the costs of your local flight being late/cancelled are too large

That was the advantage of the original service, it was operated by Air
France so I could book through to Buenos Aires via CdG in safety. Ten
the service was taken over by BA an operated initially by Manx Airways
and switched to Orly. As Graham has pointed out, Flybe now serve CdG so
it is worth looking at again.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

e27002 aurora[_2_] April 3rd 17 08:21 AM

Woking to Heathrow

wrote:

OK, so I have had it with the Woking RailAir coach link. I need an
alternative means of reaching the airport. Train from the South Coast
to Woking is fine. But what are the alternatives for reaching the
airport?

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

There are very good reasons to go to Heathrow - I still go there to
catch long haul flights. I'm prepared to put up with GWR to Reading
then the bus to get a non stop flight. Equally Gatwick sometimes via
Reading.

That said, going from Bristol, Southampton or Exeter (all
possibilities for me) means a shorter and easier journey at the UK end
but for long haul will mean a chage of plane somewhere.

Are you in a position to make somekind of trade off and use either
Southampton or Gatwick?

Gatwick would be wonderful. Unfortunately, my destinations are
usually easily available from Gatwick.

So, two weeks back my Air China ' plane touched down just before 16:00
after a 12-hour flight from Beijing. I had risen at 5:30 CST in Hebei
province to reach the airport in plenty of time. 5:30 CST is 21:30
GMT the previous day.

By 17:00, having cleared immigration, picked up my baggage and passed
thru customs, I was at the Heathrow Central bus station. There I had
a thirty-five-minute wait for the express to Woking.

Customarily the driver stows one's baggage. That evening he told his
passengers to stow their own baggage. I would add my back was not in
good shape.

At Woking, I caught a delayed fast train at about 18:16. Unfortunately
someone used it to terminate his earthly life between Worplesdon and
Guildford. And, we were held outside Guildford for 2.5 hours. At
Guildford, not unreasonably all passengers had to alight. Within ten
minutes we were on a stopping service to Portsmouth. I walked into my
UK home at about 23:00.

It is very likely a minicab, or taxi, would have gotten me to Woking
considerably earlier. There are three trains an hour on the
Portsmouth direct. So, chances are I would have caught an earlier
train and been home by 20:30 - 21:00.

As an aside, the events of that evening showed the value of having a
guard on board. Apparently, the driver went into shock. The card
called the BTP, and Network Rail. He saw that the driver was given
tea and comfort. As we lost heating and the lighting the guard dealt
with a sick passenger and a lady going into labour. The issue of the
role of guards needs careful attention before they are eliminated.

Graeme Wall April 3rd 17 08:22 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-01 11:07, e27002 aurora wrote:
e27002 aurora wrote:

[...]

IIRC Adrian has a medical condition which may make humping suitcases on
and off the tube rather onerous. He is probably right in saying that a
taxi from Woking is probably better than taxi and Heathrow Express from
Padd. There are also a number of specialist airport service car hire
companies in the Woking/Guildford area that might work out cheaper than
a taxi off the rank.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

e27002 aurora[_2_] April 3rd 17 08:27 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-01 11:07, e27002 aurora wrote:
e27002 aurora wrote:

[...]

Have you ever tried to manoeuvre on the Underground with a large
suitcase and a sizable piece of hand baggage, i.e. a pilot's case? I
only tried once. :-)