London Banter

-   -   Woking to Heathrow (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15301-woking-heathrow.html)

Neil Williams April 7th 17 10:44 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-07 10:24:31 +0000, tim... said:

There's currently an argument in Brighton about Uber drivers from
London being allowed to operate in the city (on their London
registration papers) because Brighton's requirements for the vehicle
are stricter - one of which is that cars MUST be fitted with CCTV
recording in-cab (for passenger safety, apparently)

This kind of thing is the problem. I see no reason for Councils to do
their own thing on this at all - a national scheme would be better (and
would protect people better, as a ban or suspension would be national
too).

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry April 7th 17 12:36 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:24:31 on Fri, 7 Apr 2017,
tim... remarked:

How would that enable your car to be tested for compliance?

Compliance with what? Is the MoT not adequate? If it isn't, then it
needs beefing up for *all* cars, there is no reason to specifically
single out private-hire cars for that purpose.

There's currently an argument in Brighton about Uber drivers from
London being allowed to operate in the city (on their London
registration papers) because Brighton's requirements for the vehicle
are stricter - one of which is that cars MUST be fitted with CCTV
recording in-cab (for passenger safety, apparently)

And iirc Oxford tried to mandate CCTV that also captured the voices, but
got slapped down by the ICO.

Roland Perry April 7th 17 12:38 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:44:21 on Fri, 7 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
There's currently an argument in Brighton about Uber drivers from
London being allowed to operate in the city (on their London
registration papers) because Brighton's requirements for the vehicle
are stricter - one of which is that cars MUST be fitted with CCTV
recording in-cab (for passenger safety, apparently)

This kind of thing is the problem. I see no reason for Councils to do
their own thing on this at all - a national scheme would be better (and
would protect people better, as a ban or suspension would be national
too).

The difficulty is you may find some of the individual local laws being
contradictory[1] and by the time you've amalgamated them, all the list
will be impossibly long and much of it irrelevant or unworkable in some
localities.

[1] You MUST or MUST-NOT use a taxi meter, is one that spring to mind.

[email protected] April 7th 17 08:14 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article ,

On 2017-04-07 09:15:15 +0000, Recliner said:

That would significantly push up the cost of running private cars, most
of which do much lower mileages than taxis and minicabs. Also, we insist
on higher safety standards for all forms of public transport than for
private travel, so why should taxis be different?

Because taxis are not really public transport. And many private cars
do very high mileages.

A fair solution might be that the MoT is completed once every 1 year
or 15K miles, say.

Why do you say taxis are not public transport? For many people they are the
only form of public transport they can use.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 17th 17 06:51 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 16:18:42 on Thu, 6 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
What change is required - I hope you don't mean "no hire/reward
insurance and no CRB checking"?

DBS checking (you're out of date there) is dead easy to do, so no, not
that. I run loads of them for Scouting purposes and have one myself.

I think what I'd change is make licensing a national remit and design
it for ease of obtaining one (and ease of cancellation if you don't
behave), e.g. a smooth online process.

Just seen proposals from my District Council to reform the rules, which
are in response to *local* considerations, including:

Enhancing the existing dress code.

DBS check annually rather than every three years.

Driver medicals every three years. (The current system asks for a
medical on application then nothing until the age of 45. Then every five
years until the age of 65 when it switches to annual medicals.)

Allowing novelty vehicles like fire engines, army vehicles and tuk tuk
rickshaws to register. [This appears to reverse a decision in 2008 that
all taxis should be painted a standard colour, for easy recognition, and
has certain tensions with the dress code - surely a novelty vehicle
would really need a novelty uniform]

Neil Williams April 17th 17 10:05 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-17 06:51:56 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Just seen proposals from my District Council to reform the rules, which
are in response to *local* considerations, including:

Enhancing the existing dress code.

I would consider that a commercial matter for the operator and not
something a local authority should be getting involved in for private
hire.

DBS check annually rather than every three years.

A pointless and expensive waste of time. Can't they just use the
update service, which essentially gives a continuous check at a far
lower cost?

Driver medicals every three years. (The current system asks for a
medical on application then nothing until the age of 45. Then every
five years until the age of 65 when it switches to annual medicals.)

People don't get sick in Cambridge more than elsewhere. That is not a
local consideration at all.

Allowing novelty vehicles like fire engines, army vehicles and tuk tuk
rickshaws to register. [This appears to reverse a decision in 2008 that
all taxis should be painted a standard colour, for easy recognition,
and has certain tensions with the dress code - surely a novelty vehicle
would really need a novelty uniform]

That's a niche case, really. Recognition of a private hire vehicle has
become moot, because almost everyone will be informed in some way of
the registration number of their allocated vehicle prior to its
arrival. Only if you telephone for one using a landline would this not
occur, which is heading dangerously towards the proverbial goats these
days.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] April 17th 17 11:02 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article ,

On 2017-04-17 06:51:56 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Just seen proposals from my District Council to reform the rules,
which are in response to *local* considerations, including:

Enhancing the existing dress code.

I would consider that a commercial matter for the operator and not
something a local authority should be getting involved in for private
hire.

DBS check annually rather than every three years.

A pointless and expensive waste of time. Can't they just use the
update service, which essentially gives a continuous check at a far
lower cost?

An interesting point. Is that a case of the council not catching up with the
changes from the previous system when DBS started?

Driver medicals every three years. (The current system asks for a
medical on application then nothing until the age of 45. Then every
five years until the age of 65 when it switches to annual medicals.)

People don't get sick in Cambridge more than elsewhere. That is not
a local consideration at all.

Roland is referring to East Cambridgeshire, not Cambridge.

Allowing novelty vehicles like fire engines, army vehicles and tuk
tuk rickshaws to register. [This appears to reverse a decision in
2008 that all taxis should be painted a standard colour, for easy
recognition, and has certain tensions with the dress code - surely
a novelty vehicle would really need a novelty uniform]

That's a niche case, really. Recognition of a private hire vehicle
has become moot, because almost everyone will be informed in some way
of the registration number of their allocated vehicle prior to its
arrival. Only if you telephone for one using a landline would this
not occur, which is heading dangerously towards the proverbial goats
these days.

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 17 07:25 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 23:05:11 on Mon, 17
On 2017-04-17 06:51:56 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Just seen proposals from my District Council to reform the rules,
which are in response to *local* considerations, including:
Enhancing the existing dress code.

I would consider that a commercial matter for the operator and not
something a local authority should be getting involved in for private
hire.

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the station to
be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

DBS check annually rather than every three years.

A pointless and expensive waste of time. Can't they just use the
update service, which essentially gives a continuous check at a far
lower cost?

That sounds like a useful contribution to the consultation.

Driver medicals every three years. (The current system asks for a
medical on application then nothing until the age of 45. Then every
five years until the age of 65 when it switches to annual medicals.)

People don't get sick in Cambridge more than elsewhere. That is not a
local consideration at all.

It's not Cambridge, and it's not about the flu - rather degeneration
because of age, which happens everywhere.

Allowing novelty vehicles like fire engines, army vehicles and tuk
tuk rickshaws to register. [This appears to reverse a decision in
2008 that all taxis should be painted a standard colour, for easy
recognition, and has certain tensions with the dress code - surely a
novelty vehicle would really need a novelty uniform]

That's a niche case, really. Recognition of a private hire vehicle has
become moot, because almost everyone will be informed in some way of
the registration number of their allocated vehicle prior to its
arrival. Only if you telephone for one using a landline would this not
occur, which is heading dangerously towards the proverbial goats these
days.

Cambridge only got Uber a few months ago. I've just asked for a quote to
get from here to Cambridge, and Uber says £32-44 "no cars available".

The fare by regular minicab is £38 (fixed).

The further one goes, the more the fares diverge. eg To Sansted, Uber
quotes £72-£97, whereas local firms charge variously £55-£70.

Neil Williams April 18th 17 07:31 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-17 23:02:15 +0000, said:

Roland is referring to East Cambridgeshire, not Cambridge.

I bet people don't get sick there any more than anywhere else either.

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

Enforcement is typically by camera and registration plate anyway.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry April 18th 17 07:38 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 18:02:15
on Mon, 17 Apr 2017, remarked:

That's a niche case, really. Recognition of a private hire vehicle
has become moot, because almost everyone will be informed in some way
of the registration number of their allocated vehicle prior to its
arrival. Only if you telephone for one using a landline would this
not occur, which is heading dangerously towards the proverbial goats
these days.

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

The City cab trade never fails to point out there are more out-of-area
vehicles than City ones on the streets. I'm not sure whether that's not
merely an artefact of Panther (fleet ~500) being based at a cheaper site
near Waterbeach, just outside the City limits.

Of course, despite being north of the City, that's in South Cambs!

East Cambs doesn't start until the A10 crosses the Great Ouse, north
[yes, I know!] of Chittering.

Roland Perry April 18th 17 07:39 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 08:31:02 on Tue, 18
Apr 2017, Neil Williams remarked:

Roland is referring to East Cambridgeshire, not Cambridge.

I bet people don't get sick there any more than anywhere else either.

.... get older...

I think we probably do.

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

Enforcement is typically by camera and registration plate anyway.

Bollards, mate.

Neil Williams April 18th 17 09:18 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-18 07:39:42 +0000, Roland Perry said:

... get older...

I think we probably do.

You get older quicker than everywhere else in the country? Seems
unlikely. People are people, and I see no reason for any local
standard on such things. Indeed, as I said, I see no reason for local
standards on private hire cars *at all*. National licencing would work
perfectly well and would adapt much better to new services like Uber.

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

Enforcement is typically by camera and registration plate anyway.

Bollards, mate.

Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car colour.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Roland Perry April 18th 17 10:06 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 10:18:38 on Tue, 18
Apr 2017, Neil Williams remarked:

... get older...
I think we probably do.

You get older quicker than everywhere else in the country? Seems
unlikely. People are people, and I see no reason for any local
standard on such things.

The Cambridge City medical requirement differs too, it goes annual at
the age of 60, with others required at 25, 30, 35 and 40, as well as
every five years from 45 onwards.

Obviously there must be a lot of suspected decrepit 25-40yr old drivers
there! Let alone 60-65 requiring an annual test nit currently required
in East Cambs.

Indeed, as I said, I see no reason for local standards on private hire
cars *at all*. National licencing would work perfectly well and would
adapt much better to new services like Uber.

Very few people would agree with you. Especially the local councils who
insist on local variations (and the cabbies who would resist anything
additional to the currently in force local requirement).

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.
Enforcement is typically by camera and registration plate anyway.

Bollards, mate.

Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car colour.

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

Neil Williams April 18th 17 10:32 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-18 10:06:00 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

Still not car colour.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

[email protected] April 18th 17 10:49 AM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-17 06:51:56 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Just seen proposals from my District Council to reform the rules,
which are in response to *local* considerations, including:
Enhancing the existing dress code.

I would consider that a commercial matter for the operator and not
something a local authority should be getting involved in for private
hire.

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the station
to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

[...]

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within the
city they go by the meter.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 18th 17 10:49 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
18:02:15 on Mon, 17 Apr 2017,
remarked:

In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

The City cab trade never fails to point out there are more
out-of-area vehicles than City ones on the streets. I'm not sure
whether that's not merely an artefact of Panther (fleet ~500) being
based at a cheaper site near Waterbeach, just outside the City limits.

That's an artifice of Hire Car licensing law. They can benefit from slacker
regulation in South Cambs with the same operational rights in any area.
Panther has offices inside and outside the city.

Of course, despite being north of the City, that's in South Cambs!

East Cambs doesn't start until the A10 crosses the Great Ouse, north
[yes, I know!] of Chittering.

You're looking in the wrong direction. Going east from Cambridge you only
have to get to between Stow-cum-Quy and Lode to enter East Cambridgeshire.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 17 10:59 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:32:32 on Tue, 18
Apr 2017, Neil Williams remarked:

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

Still not car colour.

No-one ever claimed it was.

Roland Perry April 18th 17 11:02 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 05:49:31
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:
In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

The City cab trade never fails to point out there are more
out-of-area vehicles than City ones on the streets. I'm not sure
whether that's not merely an artefact of Panther (fleet ~500) being
based at a cheaper site near Waterbeach, just outside the City limits.

That's an artifice of Hire Car licensing law. They can benefit from slacker
regulation in South Cambs with the same operational rights in any area.

Ah-ha! So Neils plan for countrywide harmonised regs would scupper that
- at the risk of watering down the rules inside the City. Unless of
course the rule is set to the highest anywhere for each aspect.

Panther has offices inside and outside the city.

Of course, despite being north of the City, that's in South Cambs!

East Cambs doesn't start until the A10 crosses the Great Ouse, north
[yes, I know!] of Chittering.

You're looking in the wrong direction.

I was looking north (to Panther's depot and beyond).

Roland Perry April 18th 17 11:09 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 05:49:31
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:
The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the station
to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within the
city they

The Uber ones?

go by the meter.

Roland Perry April 18th 17 11:10 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 18:02:15
on Mon, 17 Apr 2017, remarked:

DBS check annually rather than every three years.

A pointless and expensive waste of time. Can't they just use the
update service, which essentially gives a continuous check at a far
lower cost?

An interesting point. Is that a case of the council not catching up with the
changes from the previous system when DBS started?

Looking closer, they say it's an "annual update", so perhaps an annual
look at the output of the "updating service".

[email protected] April 18th 17 02:53 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

More "was" than "is" now. The only transponder-operated gates left only work
for buses.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 18th 17 02:53 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:49:31 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:
In Cambridge there are other issues, like admission to restricted city
centre areas. So probably not an issue in East Cambs.

The City cab trade never fails to point out there are more
out-of-area vehicles than City ones on the streets. I'm not sure
whether that's not merely an artefact of Panther (fleet ~500) being
based at a cheaper site near Waterbeach, just outside the City limits.

That's an artifice of Hire Car licensing law. They can benefit from
slacker regulation in South Cambs with the same operational rights in any
area.

Ah-ha! So Neils plan for countrywide harmonised regs would scupper
that - at the risk of watering down the rules inside the City. Unless
of course the rule is set to the highest anywhere for each aspect.

That's the least of it. Cambridge treats hire cars as public transport and
allows them in bus lanes and into restricted city centre areas. London
doesn't allow minicabs (as they call them) in bus lanes. I've no idea about
other restrictions in London or the rules elsewhere.

Panther has offices inside and outside the city.

Of course, despite being north of the City, that's in South Cambs!

East Cambs doesn't start until the A10 crosses the Great Ouse, north
[yes, I know!] of Chittering.

You're looking in the wrong direction.

I was looking north (to Panther's depot and beyond).

You can look in any direction. As long as an operator has a office in a
district it can have a licence from that district.

[email protected] April 18th 17 02:53 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:49:31 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:
The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the

station
to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within
the city they

The Uber ones?

No. Hire cars licensed by the city council AIUI. I am assuming that Uber is
relying on existing operators' cars.

go by the meter.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 17 03:02 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 09:53:14
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:

Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car colour.

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

More "was" than "is" now. The only transponder-operated gates left only work
for buses.

The rest are ANPR?

Roland Perry April 18th 17 03:05 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 09:53:14
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the

station
to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within
the city they

The Uber ones?

No. Hire cars licensed by the city council AIUI. I am assuming that Uber is
relying on existing operators' cars.

Perhaps so, because they have to be licenced by someone.

But would a car licenced to a council far away be allowed to be an Uber
in Cambridge, and to use their app rather than charging on the meter?

After all, the latter would almost completely destroy their proposition.

go by the meter.

[email protected] April 18th 17 04:11 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
09:53:14 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:

Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car colour.

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

More "was" than "is" now. The only transponder-operated gates left only
work for buses.

The rest are ANPR?

ANPR is now the preferred method of enforcement. The bollards near
Brooklands Avenue are quite new so they seem to be keeping them for now.
It's why the signage was changed to make the gates into bus lanes, in case
you'd missed that.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 18th 17 04:11 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
09:53:14 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the
station to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

I'm not certain about the position in Ely but I am in Cambridge. It's
railway land and I think the Ely station forecourt is too. What did the
article say exactly?

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within
the city they

The Uber ones?

No. Hire cars licensed by the city council AIUI. I am assuming that Uber
is relying on existing operators' cars.

Perhaps so, because they have to be licenced by someone.

But would a car licenced to a council far away be allowed to be an
Uber in Cambridge, and to use their app rather than charging on the
meter?

After all, the latter would almost completely destroy their
proposition.

I must admit I don't entirely understand how the Uber proposition fits with
UK Hire Car licensing law. local hire car operators seem to manage though.

go by the meter.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 17 07:36 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:11:17
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:
Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car colour.

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

More "was" than "is" now. The only transponder-operated gates left only
work for buses.

The rest are ANPR?

ANPR is now the preferred method of enforcement.

And is deployed at any bollards in Cambridge?

The bollards near Brooklands Avenue are quite new so they seem to be
keeping them for now.

As buses/transponders only?

It's why the signage was changed to make the gates into bus lanes, in case
you'd missed that.

Which gates?

Roland Perry April 18th 17 07:39 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 11:11:17
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the
station to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

I'm not certain about the position in Ely but I am in Cambridge. It's
railway land and I think the Ely station forecourt is too. What did the
article say exactly?

"promotes public safety and a professional taxi service in the
district."

In Cambridge, I gather a few hire cars are signed up to Uber but the
established firms seem to have the market pretty well sewn up. Within
the city they

The Uber ones?

No. Hire cars licensed by the city council AIUI. I am assuming that Uber
is relying on existing operators' cars.

Perhaps so, because they have to be licenced by someone.

But would a car licenced to a council far away be allowed to be an
Uber in Cambridge, and to use their app rather than charging on the
meter?

After all, the latter would almost completely destroy their
proposition.

I must admit I don't entirely understand how the Uber proposition fits with
UK Hire Car licensing law. local hire car operators seem to manage though.

They rely upon the ability to negotiate a fixed fee for the journey at
the start. And famously to adapt the fee to the instantaneous demand.

[email protected] April 18th 17 09:07 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
11:11:17 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:
Assuming that referred to raising bollards rather than being a
euphemism, those are done by registration number too, not car
colour.

Nope. In Cambridge it's by transponder.

More "was" than "is" now. The only transponder-operated gates left
only work for buses.

The rest are ANPR?

ANPR is now the preferred method of enforcement.

And is deployed at any bollards in Cambridge?

The bollards have either gone completely or been disabled. The layouts have
changed, with many of the cycle bypass lanes removed. If you cycled in
Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

The bollards near Brooklands Avenue are quite new so they seem to be
keeping them for now.

As buses/transponders only?

Yes.

It's why the signage was changed to make the gates into bus lanes, in
case you'd missed that.

Which gates?

The bollards were located at bus gates. Do keep up.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 18th 17 09:07 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
11:11:17 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the
station to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

I'm not certain about the position in Ely but I am in Cambridge. It's
railway land and I think the Ely station forecourt is too. What did the
article say exactly?

"promotes public safety and a professional taxi service in the
district."

What does that say that implies the station forecourt is not railway land?
Do taxis require a permit to ply for hire at the station? If they do it
confirms it is railway land. Councils don't issue such permits.

[...]

I'm not up to date in this area but journeys across the city boundary can
always operate on that basis anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Someone Somewhere April 19th 17 08:27 AM

RFC : cam.boring.private-hire

Once again a thread in this newsgroup has descended into an irrelevant,
off topic discussion of taxi/private hire/minicab licensing in
Cambridgeshire - a subject that some denizens of this realm seem to be
inordinately fascinated with.

Is there any chance that it can be taken elsewhere - maybe the two main
protagonists could perhaps meet up in person, drink a few shandies and
then take it outside to the car park?

If there is nowhere else to take the discussion, maybe we can
collectively vote for a new newsgroup where they can slug it out until
they stupify each other rather than the rest of us?

Roland Perry April 19th 17 10:28 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 16:07:44
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:

The bollards have either gone completely or been disabled.

So a failed experiment then?

At least out-of-town taxis now only risk getting a ticket (assuming they
aren't allowed in that particular bus lane), rather than a smashed sump.

The layouts have changed, with many of the cycle bypass lanes removed.

Does that mean cycles are not permitted or are they thrown into the
chicane with the buses?

If you cycled in Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

I'll look more carefully next time I walk.

Roland Perry April 19th 17 10:29 AM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 16:07:44
on Tue, 18 Apr 2017, remarked:

The licencing authority doesn't want tourists arriving at the
station to be greeted by a load of scruffs in beaten up taxis.

The train company, more likely. They control access to the station
forecourt. It's not part of the public highway.

No, it's the council.

On what basis do you make that mendacious claim?

Reading between the lines of the article in the Ely Standard.

I'm not certain about the position in Ely but I am in Cambridge. It's
railway land and I think the Ely station forecourt is too. What did the
article say exactly?

"promotes public safety and a professional taxi service in the
district."

What does that say that implies the station forecourt is not railway land?
Do taxis require a permit to ply for hire at the station? If they do it
confirms it is railway land. Councils don't issue such permits.

That's all an irrelevant sideshow. You claimed it was the railways who
wanted the dress code - I disagree and say it's the council.

[email protected] April 19th 17 12:47 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:28:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:07:44
If you cycled in Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

I'll look more carefully next time I walk.
--

On a related cambridge note - why do some parts of the "guided" busway not
have guiderails? I don't mean the bits that cross other roads, I'm talking

--
Spud

Roland Perry April 19th 17 01:21 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 12:47:02 on Wed, 19 Apr
2017, d remarked:

On a related cambridge note - why do some parts of the "guided" busway not
have guiderails?

Because the buses are guided by the kerbs. Rails only required at the
entrance to sections.

Neil Williams April 19th 17 01:48 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 2017-04-19 12:47:02 +0000, d said:

On a related cambridge note - why do some parts of the "guided" busway not
have guiderails? I don't mean the bits that cross other roads, I'm talking
about segregated sections such as the bit in Orchard Park? I'm struggling to
see the logic.

I think it's so other buses can use that bit.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Alan Grayer April 19th 17 02:14 PM

Woking to Heathrow

On 19/04/2017 13:47, d wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:28:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:07:44
If you cycled in Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

I'll look more carefully next time I walk.
--

On a related cambridge note - why do some parts of the "guided" busway not
have guiderails? I don't mean the bits that cross other roads, I'm talking
about segregated sections such as the bit in Orchard Park? I'm struggling to
see the logic.

My understanding is that the guidance system is designed for high-speed
running on large-radius curves (i.e. on an old railway alignment), and
does not cope safely with curves below a certain radius. In order to fit
around the Orchard Park devlopment, that section of busway has a bend
which is too tight for guidance. It doesn't matter, as that section is
low-speed, and only a short distance between the junction with the main
busway and the point at which the busway ends. At both of those points
the driver has to take over the steering anyway, so doing so between
them is no great matter.

The only other significant unguided segregated section I am aware of is
the new piece between Milton Road and Cambridge North Station. This
doesn't have sharp bends, but again is short and low-speed. I would
guess that cost was the deciding factor there.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] April 19th 17 09:14 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Alan Grayer)
wrote:

On 19/04/2017 13:47,
d wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:28:08 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:07:44
[...]

The exception on the Orchard Park section is the stops and a short eastbound
section near Histon Road. They were built with true guideway sections. All
newer guidance is by steel strips on flat road surfaces.

The only other significant unguided segregated section I am aware of
is the new piece between Milton Road and Cambridge North Station.
This doesn't have sharp bends, but again is short and low-speed. I
would guess that cost was the deciding factor there.

This is probably true but the unguided section at Orchard Park probably and
the approach section to Cambridge North station definitely are unguided on
cost grounds.

The guideway track sections were cast at a concrete factory set up specially
for the purpose at (I think) Longstanton. Once the sections were made it was
demolished and the site is now a park and ride car park. So the cost of
making new guideway sections would be prohibitive and that's before you talk
about getting the special laying machine back on site. I'm not even sure
what happened to that.

None of the Cambridgeshire kit was used for the Luton busway which has
shorter track sections which can be laid by mobile crane. They probably
don't have a track section casting capability at Luton any more either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 19th 17 09:14 PM

Woking to Heathrow

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
16:07:44 on Tue, 18 Apr 2017,
remarked:

The bollards have either gone completely or been disabled.

So a failed experiment then?

Over nearly 20 years? Technology moves on, as you of all people should know.

At least out-of-town taxis now only risk getting a ticket (assuming
they aren't allowed in that particular bus lane), rather than a
smashed sump.

Smashed sumps in general happened to chancers not out-of-town taxis.

The layouts have changed, with many of the cycle bypass lanes removed.

Does that mean cycles are not permitted or are they thrown into the
chicane with the buses?

No change to cycle access rules. But they share with other vehicles at some
of the bus gates now.

If you cycled in Cambridge you would have noticed a year or more ago.

I'll look more carefully next time I walk.

It's going past on a daily basis that showed me the changes as they
happened. I also noticed that the New Square bollards stopped working long
before they were officially replaced. Obviously none of us locals made that
public, not wanting any more chancers going through illicitly.

--
Colin Rosenstiel