Old April 30th 17, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 19:34:26 on Sat,
29 Apr 2017, Theo remarked:
Doesn't matter. The 220m spans of the Ouse viaduct are much more of
an engineering challenge than 75m of spans at Hardengreen plus some
solid embankments.

Compared to many miles of Borders Railway with lots of bridges and tunnels
too. Stop being silly.

Roland also omits having to construct a new alignment for the City of
Edinburgh bypass, build a bridge under the old route, and then move the
bypass back again

Let's not forget the Borders Railway had three times the budget.

Old March 5th 18, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 1 April 2017 09:47:13 UTC+1, e27002 wrote:

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

I still have not used Uber and I am not sure how it works.

Old March 5th 18, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/03/2018 21:03, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 1 April 2017 09:47:13 UTC+1, e27002 wrote:

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

I still have not used Uber and I am not sure how it works.

They lost their licence to operate in London, which may give you a hint.
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

Ihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 5th 18, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Williamson wrote:
On 05/03/2018 21:03, Offramp wrote:
On Saturday, 1 April 2017 09:47:13 UTC+1, e27002 wrote:

Has anyone used Uber? How does it work? What is the service like?

I still have not used Uber and I am not sure how it works.

They lost their licence to operate in London, which may give you a hint.
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

Ihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

Uber is still operating in London while the appeals process grinds along.
It seems to have a lot of very happy customers, and is being cited as a
reason wny TfL's tube and bus growth has stalled.

Old March 5th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/03/2018 21:38, Recliner wrote:

Uber is still operating in London while the appeals process grinds along.
It seems to have a lot of very happy customers, and is being cited as a
reason wny TfL's tube and bus growth has stalled.

Which is odd, because their normal clients should be taxi and private
hire car users.

I've just noticed the date on the post I was replying to. Sent April 1st
2017, so it's either a windup, a calendar error or the trip happened a
long time ago.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Old March 5th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Williamson wrote:
On 05/03/2018 21:38, Recliner wrote:

Uber is still operating in London while the appeals process grinds along.
It seems to have a lot of very happy customers, and is being cited as a
reason wny TfL's tube and bus growth has stalled.

Which is odd, because their normal clients should be taxi and private
hire car users.

They've expanded the market.

I've just noticed the date on the post I was replying to. Sent April 1st
2017, so it's either a windup, a calendar error or the trip happened a
long time ago.

I wondered why you were responding to an old post?

Old March 6th 18, 04:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old March 6th 18, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/03/2018 05:14, John Levine wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

I have no reason to doubt the truth of the report.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 6th 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Williamson wrote:
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

I have no reason to doubt the truth of the report.

except that it's fundamentally flawed

Old March 6th 18, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Williamson wrote:
I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over £20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

I have no reason to doubt the truth of the report.

except that it's fundamentally flawed

I wonder if surge pricing could have been the reason?