Old April 25th 17, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 04:57:55
on Tue, 25 Apr 2017, remarked:

You could say the same of the busway of course, and probably have.
The Borders Railway is an awful lot longer though.

Maybe didn't have things as difficult as the Ouse viaduct and the
Trumpington cutting to deal with.

They certainly did. A tunnel needed major works and the Hardengreen
viaduct is longer than the Ouse one UIVMM.

The Ouse viaduct is 220m (Guided bus leaflet Jan 2009), and the
Hardengreen one approximately three sprinter carriages (from photos,
so about 75m).

The total Hardengreen structure is longer than that. More like 100m and
looks longer than the Ouse viaduct.

It's an embankment on dry land, not a bridge over a river and flood
plain. The part which spans the road is just two short sections of
concrete beam with a central pillar.

But it had been totally removed while the Ouse Viaduct was basically still
complete.

Doesn't matter. The 220m spans of the Ouse viaduct are much more of an
engineering challenge than 75m of spans at Hardengreen plus some solid
embankments.

Anyway, this is a silly argument. There are lots of other structures on the
Borders Railway and only the Ouse Viaduct on the busway.

Trumpington cutting, new bridge on Long Road, bridge over the railway to
Addenbrookes...

Old April 25th 17, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 01:41:40 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:51:45 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:
What nonsense? Are you saying guideway rails are made of some special
type of highly expensive Unobtainium and the steel from recycled rails
just isn't up to the job? Its a ****ing busway, not a railgun launch
platform! Its primitive construction personified - it doesn't even
require points FFS.

They're not rails. And there is no guideway at junctions either. I'm
afraid

No ****. Perhaps thats why I said it doesn't require points.

you are talking out of your posterior. They aren't rails for starters.

They're guiderails.

They are concrete structures providing channels for wheels. Have a good look
at them. I have!

Huh? Its basically a concrete road with steel guiderails either side and with
the occasional hole in the concrete to stop chavs driving their Halfords
enhanced Fiestas along it.

I do wonder if some brown envelopes changed hands to get this busway
built. I can't see any other good reason for a perfectly servicable
railway to be ripped up and replaced with an inferior alternative.

You obviously didn't look at the state the railway was in after the sand
trains ceased. It would have been costly to get a proper railway line
reinstated.

Some replacement track and ballast and a bit of tlc on the stations. No route
engineering required and far less effort than the miles of heavy concrete
guideway (not to mention the immense CO2 footprint of its construction) just
for the occasional 10 ton bus to trundle down at moderate speeds carrying
1 train carriage worth of passengers.

The government decided they could get "high quality public transport" on the
cheap and gave the County Council no realistic rail option. The government
was paying. He who pays the piper picks the tune.

The government wouldn't have done the cost benefit analysis - that would have
been the local council and I find it hard to believe that a light rail link
would have cost more than the cost of the white elephant cambridge ended up
with.

--
Spud

Old April 25th 17, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

Compared to many miles of Borders Railway with lots of bridges and tunnels
too. Stop being silly.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 26th 17, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , () wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 01:41:40 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:51:45 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:
[...]

No it isn't! Either go and look at how the guideway is constructed or stop
spouting nonsense here. The rails are purely made of concrete castings. I
visited the concrete track factory while they were being made.

I do wonder if some brown envelopes changed hands to get this busway
built. I can't see any other good reason for a perfectly servicable
railway to be ripped up and replaced with an inferior alternative.

You obviously didn't look at the state the railway was in after the sand
trains ceased. It would have been costly to get a proper railway line
reinstated.

Some replacement track and ballast and a bit of tlc on the stations. No
route engineering required and far less effort than the miles of heavy
concrete guideway (not to mention the immense CO2 footprint of its
construction) just for the occasional 10 ton bus to trundle down at
moderate speeds carrying 1 train carriage worth of passengers.

More than that, as Roland has been reminding us. But you have the general
case right despite that.

The government decided they could get "high quality public transport" on
the cheap and gave the County Council no realistic rail option. The
government was paying. He who pays the piper picks the tune.

The government wouldn't have done the cost benefit analysis - that would
have been the local council and I find it hard to believe that a light
rail link would have cost more than the cost of the white elephant
cambridge ended up with.

I'd be interested in your definition of "white elephant". The busway is well
used, despite its drawbacks.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 26th 17, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:36:18 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:
Huh? Its basically a concrete road with steel guiderails either side and
with the occasional hole in the concrete to stop chavs driving their
Halfords enhanced Fiestas along it.

No it isn't! Either go and look at how the guideway is constructed or stop
spouting nonsense here. The rails are purely made of concrete castings. I
visited the concrete track factory while they were being made.

So how come the section at Orchard Park uses steel guiderails then? And I
didn't just look on streetview, I was there!

The government wouldn't have done the cost benefit analysis - that would
have been the local council and I find it hard to believe that a light
rail link would have cost more than the cost of the white elephant
cambridge ended up with.

I'd be interested in your definition of "white elephant". The busway is well
used, despite its drawbacks.

Huge up front infrastructure cost (lets not forget the council didn't even
have to pay for rolling stock like they would have with a tram) that ends up
with a slow, low capacity system that is still shafted by heavy traffic in
the town centre anyway. IMO that = white elephant.

Personally I think the best solution for small cities is a pre-metro as
is popular in some parts of europe. Its a tram in the suburbs running
along the street but dives into tunnel in the city centre to avoid the
traffic. Tunneling is expensive obviously but it pays long term.

--
Spud

Old April 26th 17, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , d ()
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:36:18 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:
Huh? Its basically a concrete road with steel guiderails either side
and with the occasional hole in the concrete to stop chavs driving
their Halfords enhanced Fiestas along it.

No it isn't! Either go and look at how the guideway is constructed or
stop spouting nonsense here. The rails are purely made of concrete
castings. I visited the concrete track factory while they were being
made.

So how come the section at Orchard Park uses steel guiderails then? And I
didn't just look on streetview, I was there!

If you did, you will have seen a genuine concrete guideway section eastbound
at the Histon Road end. The curves on the Orchard Park section are too tight
for guided operation so, to save money, it was decided to make it a concrete
roadway with just the entry and exit steelwork to make the stops guided.

The government wouldn't have done the cost benefit analysis - that
would have been the local council and I find it hard to believe that a
light rail link would have cost more than the cost of the white
elephant cambridge ended up with.

I'd be interested in your definition of "white elephant". The busway is
well used, despite its drawbacks.

Huge up front infrastructure cost (lets not forget the council didn't even
have to pay for rolling stock like they would have with a tram) that ends
up with a slow, low capacity system that is still shafted by heavy traffic
in the town centre anyway. IMO that = white elephant.

While I agree with your criticisms, it is more successful than you imply. It
has grown public transport usage in the St Ives corridor and a last bus from
Cambridge to Huntingdon at 23:30 is unheard of in this part of the world!
It's also made Trumpington a viable Park & Ride car park for Cambridge
station with route R, never thought of when the busway was planned and first
open. In the short term it's been sabotaged by lack of a turning facility in
front of the station but I expect that will get fixed in the longer term.
Note how Whippet bought a guided bus fleet so its Universal route could
start a fast service between Addenbrookes and the station recently. The
southern section was always more problematic for rail reopening, being a bit
short.

Personally I think the best solution for small cities is a pre-metro as
is popular in some parts of europe. Its a tram in the suburbs running
along the street but dives into tunnel in the city centre to avoid the
traffic. Tunneling is expensive obviously but it pays long term.

The main reason why I think heavy rail would have been better is for access
to Cambridge station. We are hopeless at tram-train operation in this
country so, deciding ten years ago, it would be the only way to get an
uncongested north-south corridor across Cambridge. If were doing tram-train
with the aplomb shown on the continent then I agree light rail would have
been best.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 27th 17, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:40:22
on Wed, 26 Apr 2017, remarked:

It's also made Trumpington a viable Park & Ride car park for Cambridge
station with route R, never thought of when the busway was planned and
first open.

A direct route was always in the original plan. Years of doing a
scenic tour of Addenbrookes was a cost saving measure.

Not the turning round at the station, avoiding all road traffic delays,
wasn't though.

Sure, it was suppose to be part of the longer through routes, but those
were supposed to have sufficient "bus priority measures".

At present the southern section is grossly under-used with
nothing after 8pm or on Sundays.

You keep telling us the P&R is for shoppers, and not many of those
catered for historically that late, nor is the much going on a
Addenbrookes.

The main reason why I think heavy rail would have been better is for
access to Cambridge station. We are hopeless at tram-train operation in
this country so, deciding ten years ago, it would be the only way to get
an uncongested north-south corridor across Cambridge. If were doing
tram-train with the aplomb shown on the continent then I agree light rail
would have been best.

IIRC the NIMBYs sabotaged through-running on account of it needing
widening of the rail corridor across Stourbridge Common.

That was an appalling idea. Calling the opposition NIMBYs shows you have no
respect for Cambridge's precious open spaces.

Competing environmentalists again. Losing a narrow strip of one of
Cambridge's numerous open spaces would have been a sensible compromise.
Old April 27th 17, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
15:40:22 on Wed, 26 Apr 2017,
remarked:

It's also made Trumpington a viable Park & Ride car park for Cambridge
station with route R, never thought of when the busway was planned and
first open.

A direct route was always in the original plan. Years of doing a
scenic tour of Addenbrookes was a cost saving measure.

Not the turning round at the station, avoiding all road traffic delays,
wasn't though.

Sure, it was suppose to be part of the longer through routes, but
those were supposed to have sufficient "bus priority measures".

Nobody thought of a busway Park & Ride shuttle until a bus company with a
bit of marketing go thought of the idea. Just as well it's not a
nationalised monopoly as some would have.

At present the southern section is grossly under-used with
nothing after 8pm or on Sundays.

You keep telling us the P&R is for shoppers, and not many of those
catered for historically that late, nor is the much going on a
Addenbrookes.

I have said no such thing. I have said that people staying most of the day,
at whom Park & Ride is aimed, often do shopping as well as other things like
tourism. You are the one falsely assuming rigid market segmentation that
doesn't exist.

The main reason why I think heavy rail would have been better is for
access to Cambridge station. We are hopeless at tram-train operation
in this country so, deciding ten years ago, it would be the only way
to get an uncongested north-south corridor across Cambridge. If were
doing tram-train with the aplomb shown on the continent then I agree
light rail would have been best.

IIRC the NIMBYs sabotaged through-running on account of it needing
widening of the rail corridor across Stourbridge Common.

That was an appalling idea. Calling the opposition NIMBYs shows you have
no respect for Cambridge's precious open spaces.

Competing environmentalists again. Losing a narrow strip of one of
Cambridge's numerous open spaces would have been a sensible
compromise.

Creating a separate right of way across Stourbridge Common would have been
extremely damaging, more than doubling the land take in the corridor. That
was why a solution using the existing right of way was far better.

--
Colin Rosenstiel