Old August 7th 17, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New York Times on Crossrail

wrote:
On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 11:25:13 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 08:29:05 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 16:31:33 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:28:13 on Fri, 4 Aug
2017,
d remarked:

Indeed what? Is knowing the precise junction layouts of the various

lines
a prerequsite of being able to discuss this?

No, but it would help you not look like a total prat.

When I start wearing an anorak and hanging around at the end of platforms
carrying a thermos flask and notebook I might give a ****. Until then...

....we will ignore everything you say, as you've now admitted it's
founded upon ignorance.

Feel free to point out where I said anything of the sort.

Your clearly admitted ignorance of the most basic details of the
Thameslink routes.

So not knowing about part of the new thameslink route means I don't know
anything at all? Oh how handwaving convenient for your limp riposte.

You've also previously demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge about
the Thameslink route from Blackfriars to London Bridge in the thread
you started entitled 'Blackfriars - London Bridge:

And? Like I've said, I wasn't interested in the thameslink project. How does
that translate to "everything"?

It's a reasonable assumption to make about any line you don't use
regularly.

Old August 8th 17, 05:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

"When was there last a service that went through both these stations?
I noticed theres a 3 track chord linking the line from blackfriars to
the charing X line but the tracks were rusty and there were some
road-rail maintenance machines sitting on it. Is it just for
occasional out of service stock movements now?"

What's wrong with lacking knowledge? You too don't know everything.
Old August 8th 17, 05:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 4:29:45 PM UTC+5:30, Recliner wrote:
Ding Bat wrote:
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 2:06:46 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the
link to the current thameslink route?

Trains from the north either terminate at King's Cross or go to a through
station under St Pancras. To reach the latter, a tunnel was burrowed under
the canal to the north of St Pancras.

The two Canal Tunnels, actually, built over a decade ago.

They're unfortunately named. A canal tunnel used to be for waterborne vessels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

I was referring to the one for north to south traffic;
obviously, there's another for the other direction.

When I checked a few months back,
the tunnel wouldn't be pressed into service for at least a year.

Yes, they will finally go into passenger service next year, but as Roland
showed, the tunnels are already being used for ECS movements. It's on the
Thameslink for all, even Spud, to see:
http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk.../canal-tunnels

Old August 8th 17, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

That's certainly true: there are many, many things I don't know. But I
don't go round pouring scorn on things I know little or nothing about, as
Spud/Boltar does.

Old August 8th 17, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ding Bat wrote:
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 2:06:46 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the
link to the current thameslink route?

Trains from the north either terminate at King's Cross or go to a through
station under St Pancras. To reach the latter, a tunnel was burrowed under
the canal to the north of St Pancras.

The two Canal Tunnels, actually, built over a decade ago.

They're unfortunately named. A canal tunnel used to be for waterborne vessels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

I agree, and it's also a rather ambiguous name: one that linked it to the
area might have been better (eg, St Pancras tunnels?).

I was referring to the one for north to south traffic;
obviously, there's another for the other direction.

Well, it might have been a double-track tunnel.
Old August 8th 17, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:01:39 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And? Like I've said, I wasn't interested in the thameslink project. How does
that translate to "everything"?

It's a reasonable assumption to make about any line you don't use
regularly.

What odd logical fallacies you come up with sometimes.

--
Spud

Old August 8th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ding Bat wrote:
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 2:06:46 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's
the link to the current thameslink route?

Trains from the north either terminate at King's Cross or go to a through
station under St Pancras. To reach the latter, a tunnel was burrowed under
the canal to the north of St Pancras.

The two Canal Tunnels, actually, built over a decade ago.

They're unfortunately named. A canal tunnel used to be for waterborne
vessels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

I agree, and it's also a rather ambiguous name: one that linked it to the
area might have been better (eg, St Pancras tunnels?).

I was referring to the one for north to south traffic;
obviously, there's another for the other direction.

Well, it might have been a double-track tunnel.

Tunneling today is done with an automated mole having a circular cross section,
so a Paris style semi-circular tunnel for double-track is impracticable.
Where does London have multi-track tunnels? Snow Hill? The route of the
former Circle Line? FWIW, the Canal tunnels' portal is double-track.
Old August 8th 17, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\08\08 10:40, Ding Bat wrote:
Tunneling today is done with an automated mole having a circular cross section,
so a Paris style semi-circular tunnel for double-track is impracticable.
Where does London have multi-track tunnels?

There are numerous between Kings Cross and Potters Bar. I doubt they are
all cut-and-cover.