London Banter

-   -   Waterloo pictures (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15425-waterloo-pictures.html)

Recliner[_3_] August 14th 17 02:19 PM

Waterloo pictures

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 22:47:48 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 14:12:55 +0100, Recliner
wrote:

I went along to Waterloo this morning and took a few pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344

A few observations:

- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.

The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.

Reading the latest issue of Rail, that does indeed appear to be the
name of the new TOC.

It also says they'll launch their new Web site as soon as they take
over, but won't re-brand the trains till after the Waterloo disruption
is over. They obviously don't want pictures of their new livery
illustrating articles about 'chaos at Waterloo'.

Robin9 August 16th 17 04:20 PM

I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Recliner[_3_] August 16th 17 08:54 PM

Waterloo pictures

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:20:54 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms.

Yes, the original 20 and 21 were absorbed into the international
extension.

There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

It used to the old Eurostar security/immigration/departure hall/car
park, but will become retail space.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5).

I think they're more commonly 3x3-car 159s. This train must have
consisted of 2x3-car 159s+2-car 158.

I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Again, not unusual.

Tony Dragon August 16th 17 09:05 PM

Waterloo pictures

On 16/08/2017 17:20, Robin9 wrote:
I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Not 3+5, probably 3+3+2

---

[email protected] August 17th 17 12:56 AM

Waterloo pictures

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Comprised of what? Class 159s are 3 car and SWT's Class 158s are 2 car.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 17th 17 07:12 AM

Waterloo pictures

In message , at 21:54:56 on
Wed, 16 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Again, not unusual.

Back in the day when I go that Eurostar connecting train from
Warminster, the regular Sprinters often used to split/join at
Salisbury (I went to Basingstoke a few times that routing).

Recliner[_3_] August 17th 17 10:57 AM

Waterloo pictures

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 19:56:34 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.

Comprised of what? Class 159s are 3 car and SWT's Class 158s are 2 car.

Which answers the question: the Exeter train was a 159, and the
Salisbury one, a 159+158.