London Banter

-   -   Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15449-hopper-fare-two-journeys-lasting.html)

tim... September 17th 17 01:27 PM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

wrote in message
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

did you miss a "not" out?

I make a fuss (FSVO) whenever someone's mistake rips me off

even if it's only 10p

tiom

Arthur Figgis September 17th 17 05:49 PM

On 16/09/2017 21:00, wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Robin[_4_] September 17th 17 07:57 PM

On 17/09/2017 18:49, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 16/09/2017 21:00, wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

Penny drops.

hangs_head

Oh bugger the buggeration of a buggered-up memory.

--
Robin

James Heaton[_4_] September 17th 17 08:01 PM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/09/2017 21:00, wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

How long since we had 6-wheelers though, or even one with as little as 97hp?

Still, it's Monday morning tomorrow, and I think I have a gasman coming to
call...!

James

[email protected] September 17th 17 11:12 PM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

How long since we had 6-wheelers though, or even one with as little
as 97hp?

They still are 6-wheeler, but only on 2 axles. Most buses since the 1930s
have had 4 wheels on their rear axles. The last 3-axle 6-wheelers were the
pre-war LTs and trolleybuses.

Still, it's Monday morning tomorrow, and I think I have a gasman
coming to call...!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Corfield September 17th 17 11:59 PM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 11:52:52 UTC+1, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
With Sadiq Khan’s ‘Hopper’ fare in effect, what should you do if the
second journey takes you over the one hour limit? Will you have to go
forward and touch your card again?

--
jhk

As others have said the system works solely, on buses and trams, on when you touch in. Provided the second touch in is within the advertised 60 [1] minutes you will not be charged. While I understand your query about the written language used the Oyster system is using a long established feature that allowed for through tram to bus tickets in the New Addington area. This is why the "Hopper ticket" was launched so quickly after Mr Khan became Mayor - it was just a case of entering different modal info into the system.

The more complex "unlimited bus/tram rides within 1 hour" and "get second bus ride free after a tube/DLR/Train/Overground journey if within 1 hour" functionality is new and is planned for introduction in "early 2018" which I assume means the January Fares Revision. I also assume TfL are sufficiently confident in the software changes that they are testing it now (or will after the Sept fares revision [2]) before having to freeze system changes to allow for the main Jan Fares revision (Travelcard and NR price changes).

[1] in reality the system parameter is 70 mins but TfL don't advertise this.. It gives a little bit of "flex" in case the second bus runs late and also covers where services run at 30 min headways and may not always run precisely to time.
[2] yes there is a Sept fares change. It usually affects fares to / from Watford Junction plus some other minor tweaks by the TOCs.

--
Paul C
via Google

Recliner[_3_] September 18th 17 12:30 AM

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Paul. Interesting information, as always from you.

[email protected] September 18th 17 09:56 AM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

In article ,
() wrote:

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 18:12:52 -0500,

wrote:

How long since we had 6-wheelers though, or even one with as little
as 97hp?

They still are 6-wheeler, but only on 2 axles. Most buses since the 1930s
have had 4 wheels on their rear axles. The last 3-axle 6-wheelers were
the pre-war LTs and trolleybuses.

Do the tour vehicles that run on some regular routes count as buses ?
some of those are former Hong Kong 3 axle buses imported back here.

3-axle coaches have become quite common recently. But they are 8-wheelers.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

James Heaton[_4_] September 18th 17 10:01 AM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

wrote in message

wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

How long since we had 6-wheelers though, or even one with as little
as 97hp?

They still are 6-wheeler, but only on 2 axles. Most buses since the 1930s
have had 4 wheels on their rear axles. The last 3-axle 6-wheelers were the
pre-war LTs and trolleybuses.

Good spot Colin, I did mean 6 wheels over 3 axles.

So the LT for motor buses.

Does anyone recall how many wheels/axles the modern build of trolleys which
were exported to Spain had? And were they a postwar build?

Still waiting for that gasman, and I have a feeling I'll need a carpenter
tomorrow...!!

James

[email protected] September 18th 17 10:36 AM

Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

In article , lid
(James Heaton) wrote:

wrote in message

wrote:
Clive Page wrote:
Or are bus fares so cheap that nobody cares any longer?

Even: if tickets cost a pound apiece, why should you make a fuss?

For the record, at least one person knows the reference...

How long since we had 6-wheelers though, or even one with as little
as 97hp?

They still are 6-wheeler, but only on 2 axles. Most buses since the
1930s have had 4 wheels on their rear axles. The last 3-axle 6-wheelers
were the pre-war LTs and trolleybuses.

Good spot Colin, I did mean 6 wheels over 3 axles.

So the LT for motor buses.

Does anyone recall how many wheels/axles the modern build of trolleys
which were exported to Spain had? And were they a postwar build?

Like almost the entire London trolleybus fleet, 6 wheels on 3 axles.