London Banter

-   -   Proposed trams under Cambridge (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15505-proposed-trams-under-cambridge.html)

Recliner[_3_] November 13th 17 02:28 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

Roland Perry November 13th 17 03:19 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.

Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

Mark Goodge November 13th 17 03:45 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.

Mark

Richard J.[_3_] November 13th 17 03:57 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?) "Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.

--
Richard J.

Mark Goodge November 13th 17 04:01 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.

Mark

Richard J.[_3_] November 13th 17 05:13 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 17:01 ...

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line isn't? They are both networks of several branches with a common underground core. If you asked people which one wasn't a new railway, I think you'd find that most people would choose CamTram on the grounds that it's only a tramway.

--
Richard J.

Arthur Figgis November 13th 17 06:26 PM

On 13/11/2017 15:28, Recliner wrote:

By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

We will probably have flying cars. On the moon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Certes November 13th 17 06:41 PM

On 13/11/17 16:19, Roland Perry wrote:
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

I don't think so; I can't see anything about that on the BBC News or
Guardian websites...

Mark Goodge November 13th 17 09:47 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.

Mark

Recliner[_3_] November 14th 17 02:54 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.

Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing. For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm. For
example, I'm currently sitting in the lounge in Vientiane airport, sipping
an early beer, and will soon be taking off. I won't be checking uk.r until
at least tonight.

Curiously, the flight I'm on is the modern version of the old Ho Chi Minh
trail: it's a Vietnam Airlines flight that starts in Hanoi, then flies on
to Vientiane and Phnom Penh and finally to Saigon, now rebranded Ho Chi
Minh City. Now, of course, it's a comfortable Airbus A321, not a battered
truck sheltering on a jungle trail. You get free beers, not free bombs,
while you're waiting.

Roland Perry November 14th 17 06:41 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

In message , at 03:54:34 on Tue, 14 Nov 2017,
Recliner remarked:
That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.

Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing.

I telecommute around the world (of which uk.r is only a small outpost),
chewing up the environment by flying only when strictly necessary. These
days I rarely leave the UK.

Haven't worked in a full-time job for 15yrs now, but have been active
online for 30yrs, much of that time in environments where online
participation was part of the brief.

But I readily agree that usenet is more of a displacement activity than
anything else these days.

For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm.

I'm not sure how much care is required to spot the sarcasm in: "there

[email protected] November 14th 17 08:53 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

wrote:
In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line

isn't?

The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.

That depends how you look at it. It could be viewed as a new railway joining
up 2 previously (operationally) seperate railways, or you could view it as
simply an underground section of the national rail network.

I believe TfL has overall control of the underground section even though a
conscession will run it, so to me it seems more like an entirely new line.

[email protected] November 14th 17 10:44 AM

On 14.11.17 3:54, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.

Recliner[_3_] November 14th 17 11:16 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

There are a few of the old French colonial buildings left in Vientiane, but
they're not particularly valued or protected against replacement by a more
practical and profitable modern building. You'd be hard-pressed to spot
that it was once a French colony, apart from a few French street names.
Bilingual signs mostly feature English or Chinese, and you see very few
European cars, none of which are French (but there some shiny Range Rovers
and even an old London taci). Their new boss, the world's most powerful
man, followed me to the city, whse roads were accordingly lined with
Chinese flags and flag-waving, uniformed kids.

The old colonial buildings in Phnom Penh are also disappearing fast, under
a wave of Chinese investment in new skyscrapers. The traffic jams are
terrible, as the new Chinese flyover is still under construction.

Offramp November 14th 17 01:17 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

What they need at Cambridge is an almost undetectable mole.

[email protected] November 14th 17 01:54 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...run-under-camb
[...]

Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?

[email protected] November 14th 17 01:57 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The place looks a bit of a dump on streetview. Which I suppose is why you've
visited - anywhere thats a bit rough and seedy eh?

Recliner[_3_] November 14th 17 10:21 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

You need to learn some geography, even if your fear of flying and
xenophobia stop you actually seeing the world. I've not been to Central
America for several years, and have yet to visit most of the Central
American countries.

Recliner[_3_] November 14th 17 10:24 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I could visit your part of north London if that's all I wanted.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 14th 17 10:29 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

So you're on the run from the Central Americans as well... ;-)

Recliner[_3_] November 15th 17 12:21 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
were at breakfast this morning (who knew that beauty queens eat?):
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/...ss-global-2017

Basil Jet[_4_] November 15th 17 12:51 AM

On 2017\11\15 01:21, Recliner wrote:

It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
were at breakfast this morning (who knew that beauty queens eat?):
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/...ss-global-2017

I'm guessing the one with the blue hair is a feminist protester.

tim... November 15th 17 08:11 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

so what do they eat?

Basil Jet[_4_] November 15th 17 08:17 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On 2017\11\15 01:21, Recliner wrote:

It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel.

What a great idea. Cut out all that world peace crap and just pick
whoever has the best globes.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 15th 17 08:19 AM

On 2017\11\15 09:11, tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
were at breakfast this morning (who knew that beauty queens eat?):

so what do they eat?

Anything they want... it's all coming back up as soon as they get back
to their en-suite.

[email protected] November 15th 17 08:32 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 23:21:43 GMT
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.

Last month central america, this month is east asia.

You need to learn some geography, even if your fear of flying and
xenophobia stop you actually seeing the world. I've not been to Central

Do change the record old chap. Plus unlike you I don't live all alone so I have
to consider where my wife wants to go and young kids rather preclude any kind
of long haul flight. Perhaps if you could drive a car you could also tour
europe like we do and see cultural sights instead of ladyboy bars.

America for several years, and have yet to visit most of the Central
American countries.

Central, south, all similar hispanic flee pits where I'm sure you fit right in.

Recliner[_3_] November 15th 17 09:46 AM

tim... wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Dunno, I wasn't looking at their plates.

Graeme Wall November 15th 17 10:32 AM

On 15/11/2017 01:51, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\11\15 01:21, Recliner wrote:

It turns out there's a global beauty contest in my hotel. The contestants
were at breakfast this morning (who knew that beauty queens eat?):
http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/...ss-global-2017

I'm guessing the one with the blue hair is a feminist protester.

It's Recliner in drag :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Someone Somewhere November 19th 17 10:42 AM

" wrote:

I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.

Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?

Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.

fx: tryinng to stay on topic
Is the commute to and from Heathrow, road-wise, being deliberately
slowed down so the Elizabeth Line can look even better than it should
do? Or is traffic really just getting that bad?

Recliner[_3_] November 19th 17 11:10 AM

" wrote:

I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.

Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the feeling
he's on the run?

Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.

And I got back into London this morning. My trip involved a total of seven
flights, on three Southeast Asian different airlines (two of which I'd not
heard of before), on three aircraft types (789, A321, ATR72). All flights
started boarding more or less on time, and proceeded smoothly. Even being
parked next to the 744 and 748 used by the most powerful man in the world
in Vientiane didn't affect our on-time departur. To Phnom Penh.

fx: tryinng to stay on topic
Is the commute to and from Heathrow, road-wise, being deliberately
slowed down so the Elizabeth Line can look even better than it should
do? Or is traffic really just getting that bad?

I've not noticed any recent deterioration.

[email protected] November 20th 17 08:59 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 12:10:48 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
" wrote:

I hear that Vientiane has some impressive French colonial architecture,
though narcotics abuse there is more obvious.

Last month central america, this month is east asia. You ever get the

feeling
he's on the run?

Or is he tryng to do some kind of weird mirror thing with my travel -
two weeks ago Borneo, last week Mexico, this week back in London.

And I got back into London this morning. My trip involved a total of seven
flights, on three Southeast Asian different airlines (two of which I'd not

Your carbon bootprint is probably a size 20 by now. In case you didn't know
(I suspect you do but don't care), a modern airliner produces the same amount
of CO2 *per passenger* as a small car driven the same distance. In the last
month you've probably travelled 20,000 miles so you've helped produce the same
amount of pollution in that time as my car did in 18 months. Congratulations.

Recliner[_3_] November 20th 17 09:31 AM

Recliner wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Ah, Boltar, the eco-warrier!

tim... November 20th 17 09:45 AM

Recliner wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

except the plane would have flown whether he was on it or not

whereas your car would have gone nowhere

tim

Basil Jet[_4_] November 20th 17 12:36 PM

Recliner wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Right, because airlines make no attempt to match supply to demand?

[email protected] November 20th 17 01:08 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

Recliner wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

I'm not lentil munching hippy, but I do my bit. You clearly don't give a toss
but then you've probably only got a few decades left anyway and apparently have
no offspring so why would you.

[email protected] November 20th 17 01:12 PM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:36:24 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\11\20 10:45, tim... wrote:
except the plane would have flown whether he was on it or not

whereas your car would have gone nowhere

Right, because airlines make no attempt to match supply to demand?

Quite. The reason cloudless skies in summer over the SE is often a white haze
rather than a nice clear blue is because people like recliner think its
perfectly ok to fly 7K miles on holiday every few months. He probably thinks
the plane works on unicorn **** and moonbeams rather than 100+ tons of kerosene
per flight.

[email protected] November 21st 17 08:57 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 18:07:25 +0000
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 14:08:42 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:
I'm not lentil munching hippy, but I do my bit. You clearly don't give a toss
but then you've probably only got a few decades left anyway and apparently

have
no offspring so why would you.

Depends on what route you want to argue the planet should be saved
for, the majority of living things that form a stable eco system or
one where human beings exist in ever increasing numbers and gradually
destroy everything by the demands placed on resources.

If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit. Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more and its not helped
when a one child policies as implemented in China are accused of being anti-
feminist or anti-woman or anti-child or some such ******** by clueless
campaigners.

Those who have not bred can claim that some of the resources that they
may using for a generous life style are those that would have been
used by subsequent generations of descendants and by not creating any
they can use a bit more themselves but overall the use of resources
will be a lot less than would have been used by an ever expanding
line of descendants.

Unfortunately the resources their theoretical descendents may or may not have
used in the future are largely irrelevant if the climate predictions are to
be believed. Its what these people are using now that matters.

Graeme Wall November 21st 17 09:17 AM

wrote:
[...]

The clueless one here is the troll with the potato fixation.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Certes November 21st 17 09:48 AM

On 21/11/17 09:57, wrote:
If couples only had a maximum of 2 kids we wouldn't have a spiralling world
population, in fact it would come down a bit.

I can't really argue with you there, assuming one coupling per person.

Unfortunately religion and
stupidity generally lead to many cultures having far more

Also true, though I don't think we can blame the need for a tram line on
that (Cambridge not being noted as a hotbed of stupidity).

and its not helped
when a one child policies as implemented in China are accused of being anti-
feminist or anti-woman or anti-child or some such ******** by clueless
campaigners.

On that point, I have to disagree with our potato-based correspondent.

[email protected] November 21st 17 09:49 AM

Proposed trams under Cambridge

wrote:
[...]

Uh hu wot dat you said Beavis? Uh huh huh huh.