London Banter

-   -   Snow on the line (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15528-snow-line.html)

Recliner[_3_] December 13th 17 03:20 PM

Snow on the line

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
What's a plausible alternative?

Problems with substations?

What's the mechanisim that caused it? I'm by no means an expert, but
I can't think of obvious problems with substations that would cause
widespread issues when they're snowed on. Localised issues, yes;
but nothing systemic.

Obviously this is all just speculation, but there might have been multiple
different problems which all got summarised under one heading. Fo example,
could the signalling been affected by a weather-related power cut? Or, if
Neasden depot was hit, that could have affected the Met trains leaving the
depo (though I think the Jubilee was unaffected).

[email protected] December 13th 17 03:33 PM

Snow on the line

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:20:58 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
What's a plausible alternative?

Problems with substations?

What's the mechanisim that caused it? I'm by no means an expert, but
I can't think of obvious problems with substations that would cause
widespread issues when they're snowed on. Localised issues, yes;
but nothing systemic.

Obviously this is all just speculation, but there might have been multiple
different problems which all got summarised under one heading. Fo example,
could the signalling been affected by a weather-related power cut? Or, if
Neasden depot was hit, that could have affected the Met trains leaving the
depo (though I think the Jubilee was unaffected).

Occams razor - they didn't clear the snow and ice off the conductor rails
but decided to mince their words.