Old January 9th 18, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL rolling stock crisis

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 04:40:49 -0800 (PST), Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Monday, 8 January 2018 18:45:13 UTC, tim... wrote:
Hm

I wonder what their plan is to win back the mayoralty in 2020 - only a 50%
fare increase?

tim

Obviously no one knows what the politicians are planning post 2020 but TfL are assuming fares will rise by RPI after the fares freeze. I got this from them when I recently FOI-ed a load of extra data from the new Business Plan.

I suppose TfL has to assume that business reverts to normal at the end
of any particular political pledge. Of course, by then, rail fares
probably won't be linked to RPI anyway, but TfL can't assume any
change in national fare strategy.

Old January 9th 18, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 13:45:24 +0000, Recliner
wrote:

I agree, but as I'm saying that's increasing the costs. Or TfL could
be allowed to issue its own bonds, which wouldn't be quite as cheap as
doing it through the Treasury, but would be a fraction of the cost of
a sale and leaseback of an old Tube fleet.

Who has said they're selling and leasing back old trains?

They have a lot of much newer trains with a higher capital value.
--

Steve F.
London Docklands, E16, UK
Old January 11th 18, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I agree, but as I'm saying that's increasing the costs. Or TfL could
be allowed to issue its own bonds, which wouldn't be quite as cheap as
doing it through the Treasury, but would be a fraction of the cost of
a sale and leaseback of an old Tube fleet.

Who has said they're selling and leasing back old trains?

They have a lot of much newer trains with a higher capital value.

That doesn't change anything. They're still trains that have no value
to anyone but TfL, so the lease costs will reflect that lack of
flexibility. It's quite different to a ROSCO buying standard
Electrostars or Aventras that can be readily leased to a different TOC
on another route.