Old March 20th 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 09:11:20 UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:16:12 on Sun, 18 Mar
2018, Someone Somewhere remarked:

TfL are also arranging with HAL as to how the existing Heathrow
staff travel concessions will be maintained. At present they are a
"goodwill" measure from GWR.

Whilst I appreciate many staff are low paid (although many aren't), I
don't quite understand why HAL gets or expects a goodwill measure from
GWR when they then insist on charging or minimum fares (which is what
this is) for access to their infrastructure...

The answer to that is fairly simple. Heathrow Connect exists almost
entirely as a way for staff to get to and from the airport. The
occasional tourist using it as a HEx-lite is almost a loophole.

The arrangement between Heathrow and GWR for the use of HEx
infrastructure will no doubt reflect the fact that GWR is in effect
waiving the airport premium for airport workers.

Everyone wins, because GWR get the bums on seats because the fares are
competitive with other means of workers getting to the airport, and the
airport gets to bask in the modal shift (which includes meeting targets
for pollution/congestion, and the cost of providing parking) for those
workers whose alternative to Heathrow Connect would be driving.

And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of Heathrow. Not that many bother.
Old March 21st 18, 06:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/03/2018 21:36, CJB wrote:

And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in there?
Old March 21st 18, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:07:23 on Wed, 21 Mar
2018, Someone Somewhere remarked:

And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of
Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in
there?

I think you'll find cycling is banned in the tunnels to the central
terminals.
Old March 21st 18, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/03/2018 08:19, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:07:23 on Wed, 21 Mar
2018, Someone Somewhere remarked:

*And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of
Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in
there?

I think you'll find cycling is banned in the tunnels to the central
terminals.

Only for the duration of the renovation works. Once finished, they will
reinstate the pedestrian and cycle access via the small side tunnels.

Pedestrian access is currently via a free shuttle bus which shuttles
between the East Ramp access road and the central bus station.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Old March 21st 18, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:14:49 on Wed, 21
Mar 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 21/03/2018 08:19, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:07:23 on Wed, 21 Mar
2018, Someone Somewhere remarked:

*And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of
Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in
there?

I think you'll find cycling is banned in the tunnels to the central
terminals.

Only for the duration of the renovation works. Once finished, they will
reinstate the pedestrian and cycle access via the small side tunnels.

I thought the side tunnels were earmarked for pods, or has that
experiment been kicked into the long grass?

Old March 21st 18, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/03/2018 10:28, Roland Perry wrote:
I thought the side tunnels were earmarked for pods, or has that
experiment been kicked into the long grass?

Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 21st 18, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:48:02 on Wed, 21
Mar 2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 21/03/2018 10:28, Roland Perry wrote:
I thought the side tunnels were earmarked for pods, or has that
experiment been kicked into the long grass?

Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there,

Like T5, to connect the parking on the perimeter road to the terminals.

It does seem to have been put on hold though.

Old March 22nd 18, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/03/2018 08:19, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:07:23 on Wed, 21 Mar 2018, Someone Somewhere remarked:

Â*And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in there?

I think you'll find cycling is banned in the tunnels to the central terminals.

I thought that you were allowed to cycle through the small side tunnels otherwise reserved for taxis? Or maybe that has changed?

--
Clive Page
Old March 22nd 18, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:48:02 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

Neil