London Banter

-   -   Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15619-crossrail-fares-announced-massive-extension.html)

Roland Perry March 22nd 18 09:08 AM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

In message , at 09:38:02 on Thu, 22
Mar 2018, Clive Page remarked:

*And the Connect is the only way to get cycles into / out of
Heathrow. Not that many bother.

You mean outside of cars, taxis, and presumably riding the things in there?

I think you'll find cycling is banned in the tunnels to the central
terminals.

I thought that you were allowed to cycle through the small side tunnels otherwise
reserved for taxis? Or maybe that has changed?

My recollection is they closed some time ago. Originally perhaps to
facilitate the pods; but now the pods are on hold, maybe they will
re-open in some form eventually.

From Heathrow's website today:

"There is currently no direct cycle route to Terminals 2 and 3
due to construction work to the main road tunnel. Bicycles can
be parked in racks at the Heathrow Cycle Hub, where free local
buses operate to the terminals."

Roland Perry March 22nd 18 09:38 AM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

In message , at 09:57:54 on
Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Neil Williams remarked:

Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

They'd be like the T5 ones (in effect a small-scale guided busway).

[email protected] March 22nd 18 10:31 AM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:38:32 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:57:54 on
Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Neil Williams remarked:

Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

They'd be like the T5 ones (in effect a small-scale guided busway).

Except electronically guided rather than having a physical rail which means
they can only run at slow speed.

Roland Perry March 22nd 18 11:16 AM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

In message , at 11:31:00 on Thu, 22 Mar
2018, remarked:
Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

They'd be like the T5 ones (in effect a small-scale guided busway).

Except electronically guided rather than having a physical rail which means
they can only run at slow speed.

I think you'll find the T5 ones are electronically guided too.

[email protected] March 22nd 18 01:10 PM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:16:45 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:31:00 on Thu, 22 Mar
2018, remarked:
Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

They'd be like the T5 ones (in effect a small-scale guided busway).

Except electronically guided rather than having a physical rail which means
they can only run at slow speed.

I think you'll find the T5 ones are electronically guided too.

Those were the ones I was talking about. A solution looking for a problem.

Roland Perry March 22nd 18 02:39 PM

Crossrail fares announced - and a massive extension!

In message , at 14:10:22 on Thu, 22 Mar
2018, remarked:
Possibly, I only see the signage that says "We're brightening up our
welcome" as I drive past in the coach. I've not bothered checking their
plans, as they won't affect me much, but I can't see a reason to run
pods there, and they would only need one tunnel for them, anyway, as the
width of the existing pods to T5 would permit two way working in a
single tunnel.

If they're self driving pods like those being trialled in MK they run
on the pavement with pedestrians at low speed.

They'd

(see below)

be like the T5 ones (in effect a small-scale guided busway).

Except electronically guided rather than having a physical rail which means
they can only run at slow speed.

I think you'll find the T5 ones are electronically guided too.

Those

"They" are the Central Terminal ones.

were the ones I was talking about. A solution looking for a problem.

Which whatever the merits, were proposed to be the same as the T5 ones.
So no exception, contrary to your claim.